X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first homade grown tomatoes "Tomatoe Sauce"

Finally a couple of my tomatoes ripen, so decided to make a tomatoe sauce. Varieties are Sunrise Sauce tomatoes and Sunchocola tomatoes. I added 1 onion, 5 garlic, oregano, chili flakes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar.
    Came out delicious.

Anyone have any tomatoe sauce recipes?
    Attached Files
    Wish List: CdD Mutante, Partaj Rimada,

If you end up with an abundance of paste (sauce) varieties, look into canning them as a simple, unflavored purΓ©e. This way you can decide later on what you want to use it for -- long cooked sauce, a quick weeknight sauce, seasoned with salt and maybe a little oregano and ladled on pizza, or even turned into Mexican Restaurant style salsa to go with tortilla chips.
    β€œThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Source Unknown
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

Looks really delicious! πŸ‘πŸΌ
      β–‘β–‘β–‘Sβ–‘oβ–‘Cβ–‘aβ–‘lβ–‘ β–‘ Ν‘ i Ν‘ β˜Όβ–‘ β–‘Zβ–‘oβ–‘nβ–‘eβ–‘ β–‘9Aβ–‘β–‘β–‘

Comment

I grew some Sunrise Sauce tomatoes this spring. My wife made sauce and preserves. Both were excellent. Also made both from Yaqui, La Roma III, Roma, Andiamo, Incas, and Brandywine. My favorite was the Brandywine but all were good. Click image for larger version

Name:	DB879855-A865-4C01-ABA0-AD2C532C8418.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	1029422
        Galveston County, Texas

Wish list: Original Magnolia, LSU Tiger, Alma, Madeira Island Black

Comment

• DrDraconian
          DrDraconian commented
          Editing a comment
          I would have considered most of those you show unripe. Never having made tomato sauce before, does the degree of ripeness not matter to the taste of the sauce?

Twenty years ago, I would have agreed. Per TAMU, once the tomato blushes, you can pick and ripen off vine with no I’ll effects. If you leave them on the vines, bad things can happen.
        Galveston County, Texas

Comment

Other than cherry varieties, I have not left a tomato on the vine beyond the point of first blush since 2012. They've all been fully and deliciously ripened inside safe from squirrels and other critters.

For canning/sauce you want them super ripe. The true paste varieties are great because they will hold for a long time after ripening so you can wait until you have enough to do a large batch. The slicers will need to be used much faster as they will start rotting soon after the perfectly ripe stage.
          β€œThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
          – Source Unknown
          MA 5b/6a

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8B9E3890-597B-47C7-9C8E-0D853BA69BB7.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	1029629 And you can let them ripen, process, then freeze them until you have enough for a batch.
            Galveston County, Texas

Comment

Working...
            X