X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First chilies (+) of the season.

This is what we picked last night. We’ve been picking lemon cucumbers and zucchini for a month already, but I’m finally starting to get peppers, chilies, and tomatoes coming on.

The first chili is a big Jim hatch chili. So good. Also some sweet heat chilies, jalapeños, and one of my favorites. Shi-shi-to peppers. Some of our pepper plants are huge this year. The two by the 5g bucket are ghost and Trinidad scorpion. Also growing scotch bonnet, biquinho (another favorite of mine), 3 different hatch chilies, and several others.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sod; 08-14-2021, 01:22 PM.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, bigger studio, truth in marketing.

Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs.

Where is Orange Habanero? The most beautiful, very sharp and with a delicate skin - he
    Андрей. N.-W. Кавказ, пень Абрау, 7б-8а

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t care for habaneros actually. We do the super hots for drying and adding to spice mixes or making preserves. I think ghost peppers have a better flavor if you can get past the heat. For actual eating I’d rather have jalapeños.

Fresh picked Oregon grown “Hatch” chilies from my garden tonight. Such a great year for the peppers.

Sweet Heat peppers are becoming a real favorite of mine as well.
    Attached Files
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, bigger studio, truth in marketing.

Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs.

Comment

• GuyA
      GuyA commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look like Hungarian Wax Peppers. I get a number of them, a nice lil kick. We also grow datils which we make several batches of datil sauce. Datils are a St Augustine staple.

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      They’re either big Jim or one of the other hatch types I have.

Never heard of datils. Might have to look it up.

Nice haul! I'm also having a good pepper year for a change. Last couple of years were not great, and even this year my plants were started late, went in late, and were very slow to take off. Now all of a sudden they're piling on peppers, and I even picked my first ripe Aji Limon/Lemon Drop last week.

I love the "Hatch" types! If you get a bounty, you can roast, peel, remove the core and seeds, then lay them on parchment paper lined baking sheets to freeze. Once frozen I vacuum seal several together. They will keep for a really long time stored this way, and if I only need part of the packet for a recipe, I can open a pack straight out of the freezer, cut off what I need, re-vacuum seal the packet and toss it back in the freezer. I use them for a verde sauce for enchiladas, tamales, etc., or my favorite, in pork chili verde.
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Source Unknown
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

• Sod
      Sod commented
      Editing a comment
      I really love them. I roast them like that and if I can keep from eating all of them I’ll freeze them as well. I think next year I’ll grow an entire row of just hatch chilies. Less tomatoes, less cucumbers.
Working...
X