X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazelnuts in the SE?

N GA. 7B. Any thoughts, worries, recommendations, or other advice? Any favorite sources for trees?
    N. GA 7B
    UPDATED! Wish list: CDD Mutante, Paratjal Rimada, any Swiss figs other than PT, perennial flower bulbs/rhizomes.

I'm interested in this too! I almost purchased a few bushes earlier this year. I'm curious to hear what others have to say.
    Cartersville, GA Zone 7b
    WL: Sant Josep, Joualle Noire, Crozes, and probably a few more...

Comment

I think there’s a reason 99% of the country’s hazelnut production comes from Oregon. The climate doesn’t get more perfect than in the Willamette valley for them. You can grow them elsewhere, with varying success, but I’m not sure you’ll get the same quality.

Case in point, the hazelnuts that get produced in Turkey are generally much smaller and less flavorful than Oregon product.

One green world, raintree, and burnt ridge nurseries could probably point you in the right direction.
      Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
      Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• Drew351
        Drew351 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Willamette Valley produces a lot of good stuff, especially wine! Some of the best Pinot Noir in the US!

I saw this place too: https://znutty.com
      N. GA 7B
      UPDATED! Wish list: CDD Mutante, Paratjal Rimada, any Swiss figs other than PT, perennial flower bulbs/rhizomes.

Comment

I am in Central New Jersey so I am not in the SE but I bought most of my hazelnut trees from a place in between GA and NJ, from Ediblelandscaping.com in VA. All the 6 (different) trees I bought from them grew without any issues and all produce abundance of great testing nuts, see the pictures … but guess what, the squirrels know that too and for most part they are quicker than I am… every year it’s a battle with them…. On the positive note, while they munching on the nuts they are not touching any of the figs, at least not yet
        Click image for larger version

Name:	AF6E694A-9EAC-4AF8-91C9-0C171D09CED8.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	1034604 Click image for larger version

Name:	B4AEE634-E2B5-4224-BD48-2896AFF30083.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	907.6 KB
ID:	1034601 Click image for larger version

Name:	39896C23-1CB8-46B8-851E-1FC87F2DB85F.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	973.8 KB
ID:	1034602 Click image for larger version

Name:	9C236A3B-C8CA-4078-B0F7-93102E4B06CF.jpeg
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	1034603
        Attached Files
        Central New Jersey, Zone 7a

Comment

They grow well here in zone 7 East Tennessee

Comment

I've read they make a good understory, suitable for planting in spaces under pecans once they are established for example. They are on my list... but the list is long... and getting longer.
            South Arkansas - Zone 8a

Comment

I have 5 small American hazelnut trees from Tractor Supply and an European hazlenut tree from Willis Orchards.They haven't grown much because the deer browse on them.Unless you can eliminate the deer at your location,you will need to build fence around the trees.
              Barry
              NE GA ,Zone 7b Low Temperature of 4F in 2015,17F in 2016,17F in 2017,6F in 2018,17F in 2019

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Figs View Post
                I have 5 small American hazelnut trees from Tractor Supply and an European hazlenut tree from Willis Orchards.They haven't grown much because the deer browse on them.Unless you can eliminate the deer at your location,you will need to build fence around the trees.
                My deer pressure was insane before I had a 6’ privacy fence enclose the non wooded part of my back yard. With the fence and plantings outside of it, they don’t jump without sight of where they are landing. Exclusion is the only real deer solution!
                N. GA 7B

Comment

Originally posted by Darecki View Post
                  I am in Central New Jersey so I am not in the SE but I bought most of my hazelnut trees from a place in between GA and NJ, from Ediblelandscaping.com in VA. All the 6 (different) trees I bought from them grew without any issues and all produce abundance of great testing nuts, see the pictures … but guess what, the squirrels know that too and for most part they are quicker than I am… every year it’s a battle with them…. On the positive note, while they munching on the nuts they are not touching any of the figs, at least not yet
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	AF6E694A-9EAC-4AF8-91C9-0C171D09CED8.jpeg
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	1034604 Click image for larger version

Name:	B4AEE634-E2B5-4224-BD48-2896AFF30083.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	907.6 KB
ID:	1034601 Click image for larger version

Name:	39896C23-1CB8-46B8-851E-1FC87F2DB85F.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	973.8 KB
ID:	1034602 Click image for larger version

Name:	9C236A3B-C8CA-4078-B0F7-93102E4B06CF.jpeg
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	1034603
                  Do you know the varieties? Nice looking.
                  Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
                  flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
                  http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

• Darecki
                    Darecki commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The varieties that I grow are:
                    Native American Filbert- the tree or I should rather say bush is relatively small about 6 feet tall, at age of about 15 years, so all the nuts are within reach but they are relatively small too
                    Jefferson Filbert, Yamhill Filbert, Theta Filbert, Polly O Filbert and Red Filbert all grow tall and pollinate each other producing slightly different but all tasty nuts

I just planted a few 3 gallon hazelnuts (Corylus americana) in zone 8A SC towards the back of our property where the soil stays moist and they've grown well so far this year. I will know in a few years how they produce in our hot and humid climate.
                  Zone 8A SC - WL - Boysenberry Blush, Ouriola, Paratjal Rimada, Joualle Rouge, Grigio
                  http://trustyfarms.square.site

Comment

no good here NC Z8a trees do fine get male blooms but pollen washes off in rain see very few female flowers zero nutsin 20 years.pecan makes far more sense here
                    Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST ZAFFIRO, THERMOLITO

Comment

Working...
                    X