X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry and sun requirements

A year ago I planted elderberry plants in a lower area of our property. I choose specifically that spot because after it rains the water forms a mini lake. I was planning to plant banana trees there as well, since both like wet feet.

but now I have 30 ft tall paper mulberry growing there. It's maddening, my husband and I cut those trees down last fall, which was a pain. And within the last half year they grew back: faster and bigger. Paper mulberry is highly invasive and difficult to eradicate. I rather not use chemicals, although my husband's response was: let's nuke and eradicate those mf-ers with some chemicals. I'm obviously the tree hugger of the two of us.

Long story short: can elderberry grow and produce in the shade? They are relatively young plants and I rather not relocate them.

Any elderberry growers here that can shed some light on this? Nu pun intended.
    Last edited by FloraFig; 08-25-2021, 05:43 PM.
    C.Florida 9B WL: I-258 , Black Ischia, Ham Rham, Ghoudane , Moro de Caneva

I have two large elderberries that grow under trees. They get limited direct sunlight during the day.
    Understandably, they do grow somewhat smaller and slower than those in full sun, but they survive and produce berries fine.
    Zone: 6A

Comment

• FloraFig
      FloraFig commented
      Editing a comment
      coliva, that was the type of answer I was looking for, thank you.
      Right now they do get limited sunlight, but if I cut some of the closest paper mulberry branches away, they probably will get a bit more sun.

• coliva
      coliva commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good. I'm sure that more light while they are younger will help them get established better. Do what you can to help them, but if you aren't worried about producing super-sized monsters, you'll be fine.

• FloraFig
      FloraFig commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, no I'm fine if they grow up to 5/6 ft.

Elderberry is an understory tree/bush. It does fine in partial shade.
    Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
    Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

• FloraFig
      FloraFig commented
      Editing a comment
      Sod , good to know. I knew that they love wet feet, but wasn't sure about sun/shade. Now waiting for them to finally produce.

Here in SE Alaska we almost never see the sun, and elderberries still grow like weeds. I've seen those things grow 5+ feet in a couple months in mostly shade.
    Southeast AK, Zone 7A

Comment

• FloraFig
      FloraFig commented
      Editing a comment
      Alaskan Tropics , that's amazing and encouraging. I've always thought the berries need sun to ripen.
Working...
X