X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry Pruning

This is the simplest instructions I've found for pruning Blueberry bushes, http://ncblueberryjournal.blogspot.c...1_archive.html
    and an attached modified diagram...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BlueberryPruningDiagram1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	13283
    How do you prune your Blueberry bushes?
    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

I usually prune hard after harvest. That involves taking out the oldest canes after 4-5 yrs. But mostly takes off small weak wood and cuts back some larger wood. The idea is to shape the plant for conditions present. That could be a lot different in pots than in ground. For SHB in long season areas you can regrow a whole new plant every yr if you want to. Much different than NHB in short season areas where there isn't time to prune after harvest.
    Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
    http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

Mine are all in pots. Southern highbush growing in 100 hr chill area, and evergreen year-round. Every year right after harvest is over (late June-ish?) I prune very hard. About 50%, in part because of the drought. But also because, as Fruitnut said, they just take off again. Last year I cut a couple right to the ground, and they came back very nicely. Not as nice as those I left canes on, but more vigorous than I thought they would.

I don't prune mine for form however, since I don't allow them to get too large or canes to last too long, but rather to encourage new growth every year.
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

A week ago I shot a video how I prune my Blueberries.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVg5X4G_uPc
        Mostly taking out weak wood, lower branches, clearing up branches inside the middle of the plant and at the end thinning up fruiting buds so we have less but bigger berries.
        Last edited by penandpike; 04-02-2015, 03:32 PM.
        Pen Europe, Bulgaria, Zone-6a

Comment

• cis4elk
          cis4elk commented
          Editing a comment
          Pen that is a lot of pruning you have to do!

And then there's this less artful technique....

SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

I bet Wills has one of those contraptions somewhere.

Comment

Not me I spend hours pruning them.......I want to hire Blueboy to do my pruning, his bushes are always gorgeous.
            Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

I'm flattered Wills! Thanks! Im so behind this season. I can not seem to catch up no matter how hard I work. I enjoy pruning my plants, I think of it as art! It's a labor of love for me

Comment

Here's an interesting article about how to prune older blueberries to rejuvenate them. And that when removing older canes, to make sure they are cut close to the ground, instead of higher:

http://www.growingproduce.com/fruits...ve-harvesting/
                SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Nice read Gina, thanks! I will be removing several canes this summer from emerald and sweetcrisp. Many are going on their 5-7th year in 30 gallon pots and I haven't removed but a handful of canes to date. The bush whacking will commence soon!

Comment

I was just looking at some of my plants this afternoon and judging which of the older canes to remove. Last year I went light, but this year I'm going to be far more severe Of course they have to finish fruiting first, so in about 3-4 months....

Heavy pruning should also reduce water requirements in the warmest, driest part of the year here, so it's win-win.
                    SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Working...
                    X