X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persimmon help needed

This summer I was given a very nice potted Fuyu persimmon tree as a gift. I put it in-ground since it was a very healthy 10' tall and persimmons do well in NJ. To my horror when I went outside for the daily fig-picking/lazy tree threatening I saw the tree lying on the ground, completely snapped off from its roots. I know very little about them since this is the 1st one I've ever owned. Is it possible to salvage any of this tree? It has good buds and leaves, no branches. I'm not sure how long it was broken but the leaves are only partly wilted.

Very sorry to hear this!
    Is it broken above or below the graft line?

Comment

It's a long break with a very black section (rot?) in it. I can't see a graft line.

Comment

Is it possible to get viable cuttings from it? It's at least 1" wide for most of its length.

Comment

Persimmons will not propagate from cuttings.
          Dont worry about the black line. Persimmon wood is actually black in color.
          If it is broken below the graft, you can try grafting again next year.
          If above the graft line, you are actually lucky, you can make a cut and it will recover quickly next season

Comment

I have never grafted anything. Hopefully what's in the ground will regrow.

Comment

Grafting isn't particularly difficult. I learned only this year and already have 30+ successful grafts
              However persimmon grafting is tough unlike figs. Let's hope you didn't break the graft union.
              Can you post a picture?

Comment

No pics but the wood above the black area is not dark, it's very light and appears healthy.

Comment

Best suggestion is to put the plant back as much as possible. It may recover. It is hard to offer much help without a photo.

Comment

Working...
                  X