X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong with this blueberry bush?? With photos.

The extremities of the bush are becoming dark brown, and it is spreading to other branches. The pictures were taken on a rainy day, so all the leaves look wet. I should have taken the photos on a sunny days, the setting looks dark, sorry!

In the photos you can see that the leaves of the outer branches are turning dark brown, as well as the branches themselves and the flower buds too!
    Could this be Stem Blight?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_160302.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	242.7 KB
ID:	22535

Name:	20150614_160153.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	22536

Name:	20150614_160201.jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	22537

Name:	20150614_160235.jpg
Size:	285.5 KB
ID:	22538

Name:	20150614_160253.jpg
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	22539

Name:	20150614_160226.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	22540

Name:	20150614_160243.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	22541

It isn't blight. Are you sure the plants did not get dry? Drying out just once for a few hours does damage. If they were mine I would mulch those pots to the rim. It would help keep them cooler as well.
    Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Well, they might have got dry a few weeks ago, but what puzzles me is that it seems to be spreading to other branches even though I've been watering them every day now. Here is a photo in a sunny day, you can notice that even the buds look dry:

Name:	20150615_105038.jpg
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	22633

Comment

Julia,

To me it looks like they got dry....but I don't grow in pots, mine are all in ground so I am not the best to diagnose it BUT I can assure you it is not blight. Even the brown leaves are not right for blight and blight does not really spread limb to limb like that and if it was blight down that low the plant is toast anyway The blight generally starts up high and the leaves get crispy brown but hang on, it is called flagging and makes them easy to spot. One dead limb tip to base and the rest look healthy.

Those dead buds look like fruit buds? You are in Brazil? Correct? The bushes do like to abort those small twigs at the base and that could be it but more likely.......... When a plant goes dry the first to suffer in the new growth at the tips and the fruit buds as they are growing fast or in the buds case swelling fast and need water the most. Unlike most plants you don't have to up-pot in stages, BB can use large pots even when they are small and the larger pots won't dry out so fast. Mulch them to mounded and it will help a lot. We will see what the members that grow in pots have to say.
        Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

WillsC, Thank you! I'm happy to know it is not stem blight. I was scared I was going to lose this bush. Phew!
          Yes, I live in Brazil. It's funny that here the winter starts next week and all of my bushes are flowering again, even though I had a harvest just last summer (december/january). Must be our warm climate. Their life cycle seems to be irregular, or maybe I will get two harvests every year, I don't know.
          Last edited by julia.scheidt; 06-16-2015, 07:48 PM.

Comment

You seem to have the same pattern of reflowering that Gina has in southern California. Here in Florida I get just enough chill hours to keep the plants on a regular schedule.

Comment

It looks like the fungus Botrytis.
              Pen Europe, Bulgaria, Zone-6a

Comment

I agree. Looks like they got dried out.

Comment

Or It just could be fall foliage if you are going into winter?

Comment

I have no advice, but I just wanted to say hi because I'm attempting to grow blueberries in Brazil, too!

Comment

Welcome Enw10.

Comment

Originally posted by Enw10 View Post
                        I have no advice, but I just wanted to say hi because I'm attempting to grow blueberries in Brazil, too!
                        Hi Enw10, have you managed to grow your blueberries?

Comment

• drew51
                          drew51 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So what happened to this plant? Did you figure out what was wrong?

• julia.scheidt
                          julia.scheidt commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Andrew Fignar, the plant survived and it is growing well, but that specific branch in the picture got all dried, from the tip to the base, and never came back to life. I think it was lack of water.
                          Last edited by julia.scheidt; 04-27-2016, 11:44 AM.

Thanks for the follow up! I lost a Toro Blueberry for unknown reasons. I really like this cultivar too, very sweet delicious berries. Today a replacement arrived! Looks great too! Big, with flowers on it from Raintree. At least you only lost a branch!
                        I think mine too, became too dry. You really have to watch these plants!

Comment

• ross
                          ross commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Per your good reviews Drew, I got one myself. It's doing fantastic. I did take off all the flowers though... I won't be getting a taste until next year!

• drew51
                          drew51 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah I had to remove flowers too, although I know what it tastes like! I have not sampled a ton of blueberry cultivars, although Toro is the best one so far. What I especially like is even if unripe the berries are still sweet. Chandler has to be dead ripe and with a long harvest window, it's not always easy to tell when they are ripe. Legacy should give me a good crop, this seems like a very good blueberry as far as growing well. An easy and productive plant. Sunshine Blue is another people seem to have a lot of success with. Not really ideal for my area.
                      Working...
                      X