X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiny blueberries

Some of my bushes have both powder blueberries and shiny black ones. The shiny ones even look different while they are still green. Once they ripen they are stronger tasting than the powder ones. Probably only 2 or 3 such bunches are on any one bush, but all the berries in the bunch will be shiny.

Does anyone know what causes this? Also, if I propagate from a stem producing shiny berries, will it produce a whole bush of shiny berries?

What you are referring to as powder is called bloom. It's a protective coating left over from the flowering/bloom cycle. It usually sticks pretty good on most berries but in windy conditions when there is a lot of branch moving/rubbing it will knock off the bloom on some fruit clusters. Heavy rains along with wind will do the same. As far as the fruit tasting better that may be from more intense sun exposure to the fruit with out that protective bloom in place. It's not a trait that can be propagated unfortunately.

Comment

Blueboy, thanks for the info, but rats that I cannot propagate it!

I am still going to airlayer that bush, it has the biggest berries of all my bushes. I want to use the clones to replace a couple of the other bushes that make smaller berries.

Comment

Blueboy is right. It's a natural waxy covering (also known as cuticle) that lots of fruits and leaves have. Have you ever polished an apple or plum to a high gloss? Same stuff.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Working...
        X