X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger individual berries?

It was previously stated that removing part of the Blueberry crop will not result in larger berries. So what does cause the larger berries? Is it more complete fertilization? Also I have noticed that the larger berries on my plants are significantly sweeter. The three bushes I have noticed this on are Alapaha, Vernon and Austin. Only a portion of each cluster of berries seems to get large. I have not observed enough to say if the swelling is a result of that particular berry reaching full maturity.

Has anyone else observed this?
    Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

It was previously stated that removing part of the Blueberry crop will not result in larger berries.
    Really? I don't thin my berries, but I always thought if a plant had fewer berries they would be larger.

I have noticed that near the end of the season some of the berries do get larger on the plants. Also berries that are left on the plant to get fully ripe can be larger ones. Right now I've got Southmoons that are ripening - the ones that are most ripe do tend to be larger, almost as if there is a growth spurt at the perfect time.

Pollination also can have something to do with it. Fully cross pollinated fruits tend to be larger.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I have two separate blueberry beds that are well established (3 & 4 years old). I do know that each one has at least two different varieties, although I did not keep records about. With this variety I should have a significant amount of cross-pollination. Nevertheless, I have one bush in each bed that bears much small fruit each year. Cross pollination has not helped them at all. I plan to airlayer one of the other bushes that produces large berries and eventually replace those two.

Comment

There are many varieties of berries. Genetically some have large fruits, and some have small. Nothing one can do about that. If you knew what varieties your plants were, we could eliminate that variable.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

If your BB are happy they will send up root suckers that you can transplant!
          Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Working...
          X