X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french prune

hi all I was lucky to get 3 French prune root suckers anyone know if they would be free stone . I had never heard of French prune I hope its a good one I thought I could graft a free stone to it

Are they suckers off the roots?

Comment

hi yes they were under the tree and sprouting for a section of root his desert king is sprouting 100s of suckers and mine does not he says its because he mulches with wood chips

Comment

Ah, ok. It's likely those aren't French Prunes at all. The vast majority of fruit trees don't grow true to type from seed so they are propagated by grafting onto another rootstock. Sometimes branches grow off the rootstock from below the graft or even from the roots. Those can be dug up and used as rootstock for new trees.

I just dug up about 20 or so that were popping up from roots coming off my neighbor's trees. I will be using them to graft several varieties of plum and apricot I recently got scion for.

Comment

I see your point the story goes that he got it from a neighbor 20 years ago on our island but you are right back then it could have been on grafted stock so it may not be french prune or it could have been a seedling that's how my dad always got plum trees but in any case I can always graft it. I have trees from italian plum that are a foot tall from seed. so I hope they do well . take care Dave

Comment

Working...
          X