• Show
Clear All

• cis4elk
    replied
    Thanks for the input.

Leave a comment:

• Blueboy1977
    replied
    You shouldn't have any problem. I moved 5 plants 2 years ago that were in the ground 4-5 years. I had them in raised beds and just transferred them to 35 gallon pots. I just kept trimming down the root mass until it would fit in my pot. Hammered a couple pieces of lumber at the transition of the bed soil and native clay soil line and lifted them up. It was back breaking to say the least but do able. Like you say, cut them back severely to balance the top and roots. It will set you back a year on fruit but the following season your back in business. It's worth the effort if your attached to them. No one will treat them the way you did, I can promise you that! Once mine were in the big pots I never planted them at the new house. I like the idea of of being able to move them if need be. We get a hard freeze here at least once every 10 years so when it comes I won't loose any fruit or plants. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• cis4elk
    started a topic Moving BB bushes.

Moving BB bushes.

It looks like I will be moving, we will be staying in our present house and doing some work on the new house before we officially move-in in some time next year. So, I think I am going to take some or all of my blueberry bushes with me. I planted a couple very late this spring, so I know those will be no big deal to bare root and move. I have 2 bigger bushes that have been in ground for 5 years, what about moving them? I would think the best option with them would be to remove a big plug of soil and take them that way and then give them a good hard trimming as well. I should add, I would do this when they are dormant, probably late March. Thoughts? Is it worth while to move the bigger ones or would they be best left to the mercy of whoever buys or place and to start with new small plants?
Working...
X