X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Trees

Ok so I have a cherry tree in the same 20 gallon pots and soil as my peaches apples pears and plums. The cherry tree didn't put on any growth last season. My question is do they prefer a more acidic soil like blueberries? Please let me know

Nic
    WL: ALL GREEK FIG https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

I do not think cherry tree need acidic soil. I have three cherries tree in 20 gallons pots and they are growing fine with their age only second year. Only thing check if your soil is not too compact and it is well drained.
    Naeem
    Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

• Nic40
      Nic40 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok thank you. I will take a metal rod and break up the soil around the edges. I hope it's ok because it's a black tartarian and they are supposed to be really good cherries

Cherry trees in pots. Thats new to me. They grow good? Would have never thought that.
    My fig list and want list and
    2017 cuttings list.

Comment

• Nic40
      Nic40 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's brilliant for cross pollination

• CoolClimateFigger
      CoolClimateFigger commented
      Editing a comment
      Billbord, which varieties of cherries are you growing? Are they edible? Are they sweet?

• Billboard
      Billboard commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheryl, i have a Montgomery and a bing. Yes they are sweet. I also have a cherry bush its a nanking. Those are sweet and tart. Very good.

Having formerly had a sizeable sweet cherry orchard on West Coast many years ago can assure you cherries absolutely will not thrive or produce on severely acidic soils like blueberries require pH 4.3 to 5.3. Depending on rootstock soil can be either normal well drained friable loam to well drained sandy soil but hard clay is no go.I had mine on mazzard roots a non dwarfing stock, the newer gisela and krymsk stocks can produce a quite reduced but good bearing tree.If I still lived in an area suited for sweet cherries would certainly plant in ground.But for reasons unexplained sweet cherries simply will not bear in the lower elevations of SE USA for me,even if no diseases hit the trees.I planted several sweet cherries here in SE NC and have several that made good trees but never bear more than a token amount, that in same field
    where plums and peaches are bountiful.All these "extension" guys just say"no sweet cherries for the South" but never provide a detailed explanation what the problem is. I must add however that having had a cherry orchard once long ago and far away on the west coast that going to Vegas makes far more sense(and money)!Oh,the stupidity of youth!

Comment

• Nic40
      Nic40 commented
      Editing a comment
      I just wanted to make sure. Thank you. What part of NC do you live in? I used to live in Charlotte
Working...
X