X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Che Fruit Forming 18'

Che Fruit. One of the more unusual around. Should get a crop this year as my trees are loaded, but known to drop at young ages. Related to the fig and supposed to taste like them. I imagine they have more of a melon flavor though. Anyone have good luck with Norris?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-05-15 16.06.53.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	306243
    Ross - Zone 7A - Philadelphia
    My Figs! / Facebook / YouTube

I was looking at the Norris variety today...didn't know enough about them to commit yet, but I've heard they're vigorous and taste like fig with watermelon. It's enough to get my curiosity piqued. Can't wait to find out if you get a crop to ripen this year!
    Btw, how old is your tree?
    Titusville, FL- zone 9b

Comment

• ross
      ross commented
      Editing a comment
      The tree is roughly 3 years old. My 2nd spring with the tree. Fruited last year and dropped the few that it put out. Quite a good size tree now. Looks very healthy and strong. I did have a tree from EdibleLandscaping that didn't grow for an entire season. That's their Seedless Che. Got it to grow the following year and it also dropped its fruit, but that one is a known dropper. Norris seemed like a more reliable choice, so I got that one. Not many get fruit off these things, but once we find something reliable, it's long lived, quite pretty and supposed to be pretty tasty. I do know that they love the heat.

Looking good!
    Naeem
    Maryland Ellicott City Zone 7A

Comment

About che dropping fruit.We have a one acre che orchard prob only one in USA with trees from several sources Edible landscaping,Hidden Springs etc.First the"seedless from EL is NOT seedless for us.If it gets pollinated, and it does, it has a few seeds just like others, and growing alone it did NOT bear fruit for me at another site til the tree which previously has made all female flowers sprouted a branch that bore male flowers and then bore fruit that had a few seeds.

Che has both male and female flowers which are little round balls, the male ones turn yellow and release dusty pollen, female one are covered with fine filaments that stick out to catch the pollen.When first planted trees tend to produce only the male flowers the first few years .These drop off after a few weeks and I suspect people commenting their young che trees drop fruit either are actually seeing the male flowers drop or else have no male tree so their female flowers do not get pollinated and they drop likewise.One really needs a male tree or to graft a male cutting on to a branch of a female tree to get fruit.
      I keep hearing about the 'seedless che"from edible landscaping.When I had one growing by itself, it produced zero fruit til it sprouted a branch that had male flowers and then had fruit with a few seeds.

With our one acre che orchard we get an immense crop annually and are seeking markets.We find it makes excellent jam and jelly but needs pectin and a little sugar,and fruit freezes well whole to be eaten later when semi thawed like a sherbert,and seeds can be swallowed with no problem.We have seen zero diseases or pests here so looks like a perfect organic tree fruit.Here we use zero chemical fertilizers etc.as are unneeded.Our rootstocks are M pomifera so no suckers.

WE encourage the growing of Che as it is a low care heavily productive producer of nutritious tasty fruit that does well in an organic type culture and also makes an attractive small yard tree which if pruned to be tall, makes great shade to enjoy. If unpruned it will get too tall to harvest fruit so our orchard gets whacked off the top periodically.This helps bearing as fruit develop on new wood only.

Che on own roots suckers horribly with che sprouts coming up even 50 feet away, so we use all M.pomifers rootstocks which don't sucker and we graft one branch with a male che scion,and since flowers are wind pollinated we place the male scion high up in the tree to catch the breezes and on the generally upwind side

Comment

• Jeremiah
        Jeremiah commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know, Yatama. We just planted out a Norris a few days ago. I see that England's Nursery (http://www.nuttrees.net/) is now offering limited amounts of a large-fruited Chinese cultivar called "Hwang Kum #3." Any experience with these?

No, I have not had any cultivars except EL and Hidden Springs nrsery's and n acre of these is quite enough, Produce couple tons of fruit annually! At first assuming you also bought and planted a male tree you do not get enough pollen from the male to adequately pollinate the female flowers on your female norris etc. So heres what to do: when the female flowers appear and first get the little hairlike structures on them check your male trees their male blooms should liik like round yellow balls and if you pick one a little white powder pollen comes out on your fingers when the male flower is ready. Then take a male flower and go to your female tree and touch each female flower with that male flower gently and do it to all the other female ones, replacing male flower every ten times, You will get fruit earlier that way, also be sure to plant the male tree close to the gemale ones and preferably upwind wherever that generally is in your area in may. also when male tree gets branches, take some cuttings off male tree and do whip grafts on your female tree couple branches , preferably high up so pollen will fall down on the future female flowers. If grown thoughtfully this fruit willoverwhelm one with productivity.it blooms late so frosts are noproblem as well.If you can I suggest getting the chinese one too.. I do her that che can get fig mosaic but am not sure thats true, Mine are totally normal .

Comment

Working...
      X