X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placement of Blueberry Bushes

Guys, I'm literally losing sleep over this. I need to get my little guys in the ground and I can't decide where to do it. My lot is tiny and surrounded by a concrete wall, but this is the space that I've got (and it's a disaster right now as we've been fixing drainage issues). I know next to concrete isn't ideal, but I'm going to have to take my chances. It's about 15.5' wide and runs north-south so it gets a pretty good amount of sun. I was thinking about doing a raised bed against the wall. If I go that route, about how wide should it be to make sure that my rabbiteyes get an ok amount of airflow and whatnot? Any other ideas?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

You can do it like this.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
    Pen Europe, Bulgaria, Zone-6a

Comment

Raised bed for that would be ideal and helps with the drainage issues as well.
      Cutting sales have ended for the season. Plant sales will start March 1 at 8 eastern time. If it is still too cold in your area I can hold your plants till a date of your choosing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4593.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	33386 Other option could be planting them in nursery pots (15 gallons or higher). I think Rabbit Eyes can be managed at 3 - 3.5 feet apart from each other (if pruned the sides).
        Zone 8B, Texas

Comment

• crademan
          crademan commented
          Editing a comment
          Nursery pots could be a temporary solution until you decide.

• Gina
          Gina commented
          Editing a comment
          For some of us, nursery pots are the solution.

Thanks for the ideas! I really like the individual raised beds!

Comment

Hey PenandPike, where did you get that pic? Not trying to be a doush but that's a pic of my rabbiteyes. Just wondering where you got that from?

Comment

Just saw this now. Blueboy1977 Kill me , but I don't remember. From some garden forum I guess( just maybe from gardenweb.com). Here I got two more pic saved in my computer.
            Great work.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
            Pen Europe, Bulgaria, Zone-6a

Comment

I also like the idea of individual beds. Can anyone tell me the width and the height of each bed. Thanks.

Comment

• drew51
                drew51 commented
                Editing a comment
                I use 4x4x1 foot raised beds. I did some 3x4x1 too.
                https://s6.postimg.org/wtv71k3bl/001.jpg

https://s6.postimg.org/jcy8iola9/002.jpg

I use 2x12 boards stained with an acrylic stain (soap and water cleanup). I don't reinforce corners or nothing, they have never come apart in 6 years. I use 3 inch or longer deck screws only.
                The soil is peat moss, pine bark fines and DE the size of perlite. Works great! 2-1-1/3 is the ratio (pine-peat-DE).
                Since this is all organic material it will slowly shrink down. So I mound them as high as possible. The mounded plants were transplanted from containers this year. I also leave root pouches with blueberries outside all winter in zone 6a/5b. I have 11 plants. All different cultivars. I grow mostly northern.Highbush as they are the most adapted for my area. I do grow a couple southerns too. I keep them overwinter on my porch which has overhead protection in normal pots, Here is Indigocrisp.
                https://s6.postimg.org/iopdz91up/004.jpg.
                Last edited by drew51; 12-08-2017, 11:11 AM.

Drew, what do you grow in the small planters between the blues? Something short that likes or tolerates some shade...lettuce/spinach/greens?
              Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
              Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• drew51
                drew51 commented
                Editing a comment
                I rotate them, the beds are south facing, the shade you see is from my house. In the summer the sun is much higher in the sky. So some blockage of sun, but not as much as you would think, morning and evening sun hits everything, as does even southern as the sun is so high in the sky. . I rotate peppers and/or tomatoes one year and garlic and/or onions the next. I may add basil and greens as you mention too. Here's a view of the yard from a second story window.
                The nets on the left back are over blueberry bushes.
                https://s6.postimg.org/egulqr87l/005.jpg

https://s6.postimg.org/tct4ycbwh/004.jpg
                Last edited by drew51; 12-08-2017, 12:34 PM.

• cis4elk
                cis4elk commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha! I love it! Your yard is great, I love the fact that you are surrounded by grass growers. I bet they don't understand it, grass isn't very filling and it sure doesn't taste good! I don't see your figs though.

• drew51
                drew51 commented
                Editing a comment
                Most of my figs are on the driveway, Four or five are back here, in root pouches in front of the corn. So are potato plants in root pouches. We are getting offf topic, but I thought people should see the yard, as it does have to do with placement. many think they have no more room. I don't like to super crowd things, but you can grow stuff closer than you think. I plant my fruit trees 8 feet apart. I prune to keep under 8 feet tall. Yield on my plums, peaches, and nectarines is about 80 fruit per tree. All my trees have multiple grafts, so each tree has about 4 cultivars each.
                Here is this years harvest of Dapple Dandy pluot and Flavor King pluot (center) 2 of 8 grafts on one tree.
                https://s6.postimg.org/usq9t1n1d/Dap..._King_2017.jpg

On grass one day I will just get rid of it. Right now my dog patrols the yard, he likes the grass, so I keep it for now.
                I taught him to chase birds out, he naturally goes after 4 legged creatures, but now birds too. It's worked fairly well, although I still have to net. I still want him to chase them out as often they get caught and die in the nets.

Yes, I also would highly recommend going with a raised bed for your blues. You are right by a concrete wall, which will constantly leach calcium and raise the pH. You will have a hard time keeping it acidic enough to keep your blues happy.

With proper drainage on the raised bed, you'll have a very ideal environment. If you are going to use predominantly pine bark as the media, just watch for phosphorous deficiency (in the middle of summer) since pine bark doesn't bind to phosphorous well.

Comment

Working...
              X