X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sheep join the flock

The Kestrels are in a row......forgive the weeds. I have decided I am going to hire a professional weeder, just don't have enough hours in the day.............just to the left of the new Kestrels is the empty row where the Indigocrisps will go next spring, they are just too small to risk going in the ground now. I think I will bury the puts in the ground though to keep them cooler for the summer. Even though the 3 BB beds all have overhead impact sprinklers the new guys will get a dedicated ground level irrigation line run. It is hooked to the 300 gallon pump tank and that allows me to water them every day with perfect PH and very weakly fertilized water. It does wonders for putting size on the plants quickly.
    Plant sales are closed until further notice.

Very nice. What is the spacing of your plants and rows?

The liners I got last Christmas I'm growing indoors in sunny, slightly tinted windows with added lighting. About 5-6 extra hours of florescent light. I was planning on doing this till the beginning of April when they would be moved outdoors and into 5 gallon pots. They are currently being watered with rainwater with a dash of fertilizer and are growing surprisingly fast. The growth is soft and lush, perhaps slightly etiolated.. and I'm a bit concerned they will burn a bit when placed in full sun. Maybe I'll put them on a wagon and take them outside for some direct sun every day.

Pampered pets.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I just put a large bakers sheet onto the back of a wagon and rolled the babies out for their first exposure to full sun. I 'only' have 10 so they all just fit. Not sure how long I'll leave them out there. Could get some burning, but that's the price for growing them as fast as possible.
      SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Think they are 3 foot centers......how close are the rows? TOO close 5 feet but I prune out what grows toward the aisle.

Comment

Nice Wills, have you had the chance to taste Kestrel yet? If not, what have you heard about the variety?

Comment

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/hs1245

Kestrel (US Plant Patent 21,719) (Figure 18) was released by the University of Florida in 2009. Kestrel is a low-chill cultivar that blooms early and ripens very early. In Windsor, Florida, the mean date of 50% open flowers is January 30 and the mean date of 50% ripe berries is April 22. The bush resembles ‘Star’ but leafing is earlier and more prolific. Berries are medium to large, averaging 2.29 g/berry. They have excellent flavor and low detachment force. Early leafing and flowering make Kestrel™ particularly susceptible to late freezes. Kestrel™ is suggested for trial as evergreen production from Port Charlotte, Florida to Orlando, Florida, deciduous production from Tampa, Florida to Orlando, Florida, and under tunnels in Gainesville, Florida.
            and:

http://www.ffsp.net/varieties/bluebe...strel-fl02-40/

Mainly it seems Kestrel is low chill (200 hrs), early, and produces high quality, good-tasting fruits. Taste is rated 9 out of 10 on the table on the bottom of the page of the first link. Only 4 out of 16 varieties (sweetcrisp being another) are ranked that high. Common varieties such as Star, Emerald, and Jewel only are ranked a 7.
            Last edited by Gina; 02-25-2015, 09:40 PM.
            SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

Thanks Gina, maybe I should have taken Wills up on that offer! You win some and loose some right? I will let yall trial them and see what yall think. If its a top tier I will spring for a few of them.

Comment

Sorry Rob I did not see your post. I have not tried them but given the description I thought it safe to try a row.

Comment

Working...
                X