X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi mule

My kiwi has several double mules and a few triple mules. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180827_131150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	356898 .

I am totally ignorant of the use of the term MULE to describe a fruit.What's it mean? A mule is a sterile hybrid from horse and burro are these seedless KIWi fruit from some cross pollination by a different species of plant?

Comment

It's a description from the fig world, when two fruits are grown together like Siamese twins.

Comment

nice kiwi. what varieties do you grow?

Comment

Only hayward. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180802_162621.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	365633

Comment

How old is your Kiwi? How old till fruiting age? How many vines do you have? What pollinator? Is it aggressive? Do you have to prune it much every year? A lot of questions, but I wanted one and thought it would not do well in my zone. It sure does well for you.
            PPP
            Eatonton, GA zone 7b/8a

Comment

I have two females one male took three years or longer to fruit, I no longer trim, fertilize, or water the 12 year old vines. slower growth is not as likely to freeze. Mine is on a heavy trellis but I cant reach a lot of fruit because of not trimming. Once I left it alone and quit babying it I got lots of fruit.

Comment

Working...
              X