X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jujube varieties

I'm interested in getting some jujube trees in the spring but I've never had them before. I've heard mixed reviews on the quality which I understand varies greatly between cultivars. I'm considering honey jar, sugar cane, tigertooth and shangxi li. Does anyone have input on these or other cultivars?
    Zone 8B, SE Georgia
    Wish list: Yellow Long Neck, LDA,VdB, Smith, Panache, LSU varieties

I have Li and Lang...still in 15 gal pots..hoping to put them in the ground in Oct once it cools down here a bit. Li had some fruit but dropped them. Lang has a little bit of fruit on it now. They look like tiny apples...size of crab apples. I hear that they are best when semi dried on the tree. The Lang does not need a polinator, so in hind site I should have just bought only that one to try them out. Only recently did I learn about all the other varieties, and I have to say that those varieties sound a lot more interesting than what I have. Jujube interested me as they are sun and heat hardy...and I live in phoenix. I definitely like my figs more!

Comment

I’ll admit I’m not very knowledgeable about jujubes, I just got my first ones this spring. But let’s see if tenns9 will see this and help. Tyler was my source for info on jujubes, and for where to get more info on them. I’ll tell you one thing I learned—grafting them is fairly difficult. The wood is HARD.
      Titusville, FL- zone 9b

Comment

So far I've had Sherwood, Sugar Cane, and Chico. I enjoy them all, and appreciate that they are all a little bit different. Sugar Cane is small and sweet, Sherwood is larger and more apple-like, and Chico has a good bit of acidity that makes it unique. I should have GA-866, Tigertooth, Winter Delight, Redlands #4, Autumn Beauty, and Shangxi Li ripening for the first time this year. I will try to remember and update this once I try them, but given that this is the first year and the trees are young, I'm not sure I would trust my review!

I've had very good luck grafting jujubes with both cleft and bark grafts. I find it helps to graft late spring or early summer so the bark slips REALLY easily. If you try too early, you'll likely have a lot of bark tearing. Since the wood is very hard, I think it's important for the bark to hold strong so the cambium contact is solid.

Since jujubes are strong, vigorous growers and set better fruit loads with pollination, I'd recommend buying 2-3 trees that are known to be excellent (i.e. Sugar Cane, Honey Jar, Shangxi Li, Chico, and GA-866) and then graft some of the others to get a good mix. That's what I wish I had done!

Comment

Thanks for the info npolaske. I've read that tiger tooth is especially suited to my area and honey jar and sugar cane are two of the only varieties that I see consistently good reviews for. I'm probably going to start with just 2 because it's hard to find plants online for less than $50 each.

When you mention grafting are you talking about grafting new scions to an established tree or digging up root suckers and grafting to them? What is your source for bud wood?
          Zone 8B, SE Georgia

Comment

• npolaske
            npolaske commented
            Editing a comment
            I got into grafting long after I established several trees, so I've only had experience grafting onto them as a way to try new varieties and improve pollination. If I did it all over again, I would probably start the entire orchard from rootstocks and then graft what I've found to be the best varieties onto them. This is especially beneficial for jujubes, since the named varieties can cost $50 and the rootstocks can be had for only a few dollars!

All of my scion wood came from growingfruit.org members and Cliff England. I strongly recommend contacting Cliff for any grafting wood... it's much easier than sourcing wood from multiple forum members and the quality of what he sends is consistently high.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

• sifipps
            sifipps commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Do you get the rootstocks from the forum members or do you grow from seed?

• npolaske
            npolaske commented
            Editing a comment
            I actually have not sourced or produced any jujube rootstocks... I've only grafted onto existing trees of named varieties. Jujube rootstock is pretty easy to find and very cheap. I think Rollingriver has some, and Cliff England probably does too. But you could also probably get some root suckers from forum members. I think the seeds sprout almost effortlessly, so that's probably the cheapest route.

The only caveat here is that some jujube seedling and rootstocks propagated from root suckers have a nasty habit of sending up more root suckers in an attempt to take over your entire yard! Personally, I haven't had any issues with this, but most, if not all of my trees are on their own roots. I have read that the named varieties tend to not sucker as much, but I don't know for sure. It's something to think about... maybe someone else with more knowledge will chime in.

Today I ordered a tigertooth in a 3-gal pot from Edible Landscaping since I had a small credit with them and I liked the looks of the fig trees I ordered from them earlier this year. It should arrive in about a week.

I got a quote from England's Nursery for a couple of trees but the shipping alone was almost $50 to my area. They said they didn't know why the shipping cost was so high. It's a shame too because they have some of the best pricing I've seen.

I plan to dig up and pot tigertooth root suckers as they come up and order scion wood from England's Nursery to add varieties via grafting. They seem to to have an extensive collection.
          Zone 8B, SE Georgia

Comment

• crademan
            crademan commented
            Editing a comment
            sifipps, If there are any oriental markets near your home, you might be able to taste some jujube fruits to help you decide which types you like. For what it's worth, a Mesa, AZ gardener I know really likes the flavor of the Sugar Cane jujube.

You may find some helpful information about jujubes in these two articles:
            https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jujube.html
            http://www.texasgardener.com/pastiss...08/Jujube.html

P.S. My husband and I took out a jujube we had planted after the first year because it has lots of thorns, spreads by root runners, and my husband thought its marble sized fruits tasted as dry as cardboard. He's much happier with the fruits from a peach tree we planted in that spot.

• sifipps
            sifipps commented
            Editing a comment
            There is one market nearby that I suspect may have some dried jujubes. I've been planning to check the next time I pass by it. Sugar cane is on my wish list as is honey jar. Those two seem to always be present on favorites lists. Thanks for the links!

That is a very nice idea!

Comment

My first jujube tree went in the ground yesterday. When I took it out of the pot I removed 3 subterranean root suckers that I put into their own pots. If they make it I will use them for grafting.
            Zone 8B, SE Georgia

Comment

Sifipps, Your first jujube looks good. Hope you and your family are safe and well. We only got some strong breezes and about 2" of rain here in NE Georgia. I am sooo ready for hurricane season to be over and autumn to arrive with a refreshing coolness. Your posting about jujubes encourages me to venture out and give them a try. Keep us posted on how they fare in the future. Have you checked out the website of the nursery in N.M. (Chinese Red Date Orchard) since they seem to have a great selection and reasonable pricing?
              Great growing! Randy/GA

Comment

• sifipps
                sifipps commented
                Editing a comment
                We came through the storm fairly unscathed. Never even lost power. Sounds about like what you saw. Folks about 30 miles west of us in the Statesboro area felt a lot more of the effects. It certainly brought in some cooler temps this morning. It was about 60 degrees when I left the house.

I haven't heard of that nursery. Thanks for the heads-up!

A couple of the suckers are already showing signs of life!
              Zone 8B, SE Georgia

Comment

Working...
              X