X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JF&E Blueberry Varieties

Was just checking out there new web site and strolled through there blueberry varieties. They have the new Rabbiteye varieties Titan, Summer Sunset and Vernon if any one is interested in new Rabbiteye varieties. I also saw Springwide and I believe there out of stock but it says this variety has excellent flavor and firmness. Can any one comment on this variety? Are they as firm as sweetcrisp? How about flavor?

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/...eberry-plants/

They do have a nice selection, I'd like to try springhigh, but alas like most sellers, they can't ship to California.

I've never tried springwide.
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Can you receive plants from individuals if there barerooted? Or cuttings? Whats the procedure for shipping plant material to Cali?

Comment

As with many things in life, what's legal, and what actually happens might be two different things. I know many fig growers in Cali get cuttings from all over the country without issue.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

I really liked the flavor of Springwide. I don't remember it being as crisp as Sweetcrisp, but I do remember thinking it was my favorite flavor out of more than a dozen. I only made a handful of Sweetcrisp last year so don't know if I tasted the full potential of the Sweetcrisp. The Sweetcrisp and Springwide are the same age though if that makes any difference.
          Chad

Comment

One answer is easy. No SW isn't as crisp as SC. I'd bet everything I own on that and haven't tried SW. Many varieties claim crisp fruit and most fall way short.
            Alpine, Texas 4500ft elevation Zone 7
            http://growingfruit.org/

Comment

As per Blueboy's suggestion/comment on another title "Rabbiteye vs. Southern High Bush Pros and Cons," I ordered Titan and Vernon as a companion pollinizer for Titan (also as potential replacements for my Austin and Climax) from Bottoms Nursery in GA. They arrived last evening and still need to plant them probably today. They were bare rooted 1 year (Titan) and 2 years (Vernon) old, healthy plants about 2 feet tall. Vernon was in a full bloom, don't know if I should pinch the flowers? Packaging was okay (full length plants were covered in moist hay and lightly wrapped with plastic, the roots were moist but not separately wrapped in plastic wrapper that I see in all my other plant orders from elsewhere), not terrible, but not great either, IMO. Time will tell how do these new RE cultivars grow and taste.
              Zone 8B, Texas

Comment

• Darkman
                Darkman commented
                Editing a comment
                Price?

If they were my plants, I would remove all buds and trim twiggy and lower branches. This will allow more energy for roots to grow and plant will be healthier in the long run. You can maybe keep 1 or 2 buds so you can get a taste for the berries. Good luck. I was fortunate enough to get several Titan liners this fall after waiting almost a year. I kept just a few on some of the plants that were thriving just to get a taste. Good luck!
              Chad

Comment

• Inkfin
                Inkfin commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for your suggestion, it has been followed :-) I was looking for Titan liners but could not find anywhere and ended up purchasing an year old plant.
            Working...
            X