X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall blooming blueberries

I was just out in the blueberry patch and noticed a good number of plants appear to be putting out swelling flower buds. Emerald, Misty, SnowChaser, Biloxi and a maybe few others. I'm hoping this signals a really long harvest season next season that will start much sooner than normal. It's not unusual for Emerald to bloom early and produce fruits in what we call 'winter' here. Since frost is rare, I'm hoping this really happens.

Anyone else seeing signs of fall blooming on the Southern Highbushes?
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

None on any of mine, but they were just potted this year so they might still be a little confused.
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

Gina,
      The only variety I have blooming is the Emerald. I had a few sporadically ripen and it was a nice treat!
      Chad

Comment

My Emeralds are notorious for this, but I usually just pull them off and let the plant put its energy into producing the real good spring berries.

Comment

Just noticed some flower buds on Star and Emerald.
          Sarah

Comment

More flowers on the Star and now Sunshine Blue bushes. Temps are just starting to go down this week.
            Sarah

Comment

I'm in the Bay Area, too, and mine are loaded with buds and flowers right now. Just tried out a Sweetcrisp today, too.
              USDA Zone 9b Wish list: Abruzzi, Pasquale, Filacciano, Tagliacozzo, Zingarella, Godfather. Any, including unknowns, from Abruzzo, Italy.

Comment

• Sarahkt
                Sarahkt commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice, how was it? And where did you get yours? I could only find Sweetcrisps on eBay.

• joann1536
                joann1536 commented
                Editing a comment
                It passed the prince of blueberries' quality test! Even knowing how late in the year it is! My Sunshine Blues are going nuts. Got them from a member, and they were really nice when they arrived. Interested?

• Sarahkt
                Sarahkt commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the heads up, I'm definitely interested and have already gotten in touch with your help. Getting one for my sister too!

While watering today, I noticed even more flower buds swelling and developing into small flower buds. The Sweetcrisps are going to have a very early main bloom - in December! I'm not talking a flower here and there, but lots of sizable flower clumps. Southmoon too, which is usually later blooming. And even more flowers on others previously mentioned. I'm beginning to fear there won't be that many buds to open come early spring. And since there are fewer pollinators now, I may not have that much fruit from all these flowers. I hope I'm wrong.

It's almost 80*s today. No wonder the plants are confused.
              SoCal, zone 10.
              www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• newnandawg
                newnandawg commented
                Editing a comment
                I noticed a few blooms on a couple of mine a s well. Our temps have been in the 30's at night and mid 60's daily.
            Working...
            X