X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy dwarf citrus or lemon trees?

I know I’m not in the most appropriate zone for lemons and citrus but I would like to still try- I have a heated sun room for the colder months that I think would be well suited to a dwarf tree. During the summer it will definitely live outside. Do you have any recommended online retailers/ nurseries that carry dwarf varieties?

I saw a few online but they are in Florida and can not ship out of state.

Any tips on successful indoor growth and care?
    Queens, NY- Zone 7b
    Wishlist: Black Ischia, CDD Mutante, Sangu Dolce, Sweet Joy, U. Prosciutto

Four Winds Growers maybe? I'm not sure about online venders, here in California it's impossible to go anywhere that sells plants and not see citrus, even the barren wasteland that is Walmarts "garden section" has a nice selection.

Have: VdB, Flanders, Peter's Honey, Black Mission, Brown Turkey, Kadota, Blue Celeste and a craigslist mystery fig
    Wanted: Whatever I can get cheap of free

Comment

The best choice would have to be Four Winds Growers. In the SF bay area away from any quarantine problems and pretty much all their citrus is on very dwarfing root-stock. Frustratingly small to grow in the open field. And even Walmart usually has a selection of them.
      Northern CA 9b Wish List- Ponte Tresa, I-258, Vasilika sika (vasiles's), CDDG, White Madeira, LSU Hollier, Norella, SalsEl. Unk. Teramo, Any that may dry on the tree.

Comment

• jessup42
        jessup42 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just bought a few from 4 winds & the citrus were semi-dwarf. Hoping they stay under 8'

Stan has good trees
      http://mckenzie-farms.com/interest.htm

Comment

Also .
        https://www.woodlanders.net/index.cf...us&showIntro=0

Comment

Try Brite Leaf Citrus Nursery or Harris Citrus Nursery, they may be able to ship out of FL. Plants are grown in quarantine. Both produce for retail and for citrus groves so the quality is very good.

Picked up Slocom's big book of water lilies at a used book store.
          Johnson1
          Zone 9b
          S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

I 3rd the req for Four Winds
            Want List: Col de Dame Gris, Noire de Barbentane, Gris de Saint Jean, Bourjassotte Noire, Paratjal Negra

Comment

For growing tips, can you first describe the environment in your grow room...temps, humidity, light, etc. and what kind of lemon and other citrus you plan to try?
              Want List: Col de Dame Gris, Noire de Barbentane, Gris de Saint Jean, Bourjassotte Noire, Paratjal Negra

Comment

• GardenCat
                GardenCat commented
                Editing a comment
                It’s a sun room/ Florida room. Last year it was sealed up nicely with no air leaks and large windows on every side and sky lights. During the winter its stays around high 20/ 30’s and can get over 100 in the hottest part of the summer. It’s fairly easy to cool or warm the room as needed. It’s in the backyard which has allowed for an easy fig shuffle and attached to the kitchen where in the most coldest of winter plants are moved to. I think this can work well provided temps are monitored during hot parts of the summer and those January/February freezes.

Looking to try my hand at at least lemons, and limes. I really would like to find a blood orange provided it’s on dwarf stock.

• Blake
                Blake commented
                Editing a comment
                Got it. My advice to you would be to choose some things that you'll have some fun growing and caring for because there will be some sweat equity required and you have limited space - those pots get big and heavy and there's also thorns. And pick something that you can't go down the street and buy any day of the week for little $.

In the past I found myself at the grocery store wondering why the hell I invested so much time and effort growing and shuffling a potted Mexican lime tree when I could grab a bunch of beautiful Mexican limes for a $1 at the market down the street any week of the year.

Most of the figs that folks on this board grow are either not available to purchase locally and/or they are expensive - there's incentive for all that fig shuffling. Not all citrus is the same.

Thanks everyone! I am looking into Four Winds and have also had a member reach out to me in regards to a lemon tree. I know I have enough figs/ fruit trees for the year but the prospect of lemon and citrus in my climate intrigued me to experiment and add on farther.

Queens, NY- Zone 7b
              Wishlist: Black Ischia, CDD Mutante, Sangu Dolce, Sweet Joy, U. Prosciutto

Comment

• jessup42
                jessup42 commented
                Editing a comment
                Fig, the gateway fruit addiction?!

Home Depot sale Mexican Lime, I have one and it gives a lot, but a lot of fruit, you do not need more in reality. It has more than 10 years and is of my size 5.2 everything depends on pruning. The fruit is small it is green and when ripe it turns yellow and falls. You can order it The grapefruit is a medium sized tree but it needs to grow because the fruit is large. Blood orange is very difficult to grow, I have had 3 and they died at 3 years old. Here in Phoenix if you go to Sun City, right now you can smell the smell of citrus flowers. You can order it at Home Depot. You can order en Lowes and you hace 1 year garant

Comment

• GardenCat
                GardenCat commented
                Editing a comment
                Is this the typical lime found in grocery stores? If not, is the taste any different from “regular” lime?

• Mando408
                Mando408 commented
                Editing a comment
                If the type your grocery store carries looks like a green lemon it's most likely a Bearss. Mexican aka Key limes are smaller, rounder, have a more intense flavor and are more cold sensitive.
                Last edited by Mando408; 03-27-2019, 03:33 PM.

• Higuera
                Higuera commented
                Editing a comment
                GardenCat and Mando408 This lime is small, but in Mexico it is not really known as lime, it is called lemon. This is small green but when ripe it turns yellow and falls off the tree. In Mexico, lemon is very much used in lemonades, we put it in soups, in fish on corn toast, in tacos, club soda and of course in beer. We use the leaves as you, because they help insomnia and other things. You can find in mexican grocery stores

In 2001 and 2002 FL had back to back 100 year freezes in Central FL. It decimated the citrus industry by killing the trees. Something like 27F for perhaps a couple of days. The trunks froze and split.

Commercially the groves spray water on the trees, the water is above freezing and it helps to maintain the temp.

There are some citrus varieties that have greater cold tolerance, especially those that have originated from China. Something you should ask your supplier.

Johnson1
              Zone 9b
              S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

If you are growing indoors in a space that can be heated I would suggest that you do not try to grow Meyers Lemons. While they are the most cold hardy common lemon (really a lemon hybrid) by 2 or 3 degrees F, they are also more difficult to care for than other true lemons, generally need more carefully managed fertilizer and are much more prone to leaf drop when stressed by changes in temperature or light level than most other varieties of citrus.

Comment

• Vladimir
                  Vladimir commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree with Isaac. Meyer lemons taste great but the trees are very temperamental.

• GardenCat
                  GardenCat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If I was able to get an older tree with a deeper root system -would that help or is Meyer lemons temperamental in general? Another option is to let it live in the dinning room next to large bay windows. In this spot the temps are mostly the same and toasty while in the summer the heat builds up. Would a set up like this work? Or does the tree have to go outside at some point to help with pollination?

GardenCat Take a drive to Hicks Nursey on Jericho Turnpike in Westbury. Was there a month ago and they have a lot of different sized citrus plants for sale. Much safer than ordering online.
                Romeo
                Zone 6B. Lehigh Valley, PA

Comment

• GardenCat
                  GardenCat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am heading up to that area in a few weeks, I’ll stop by and take a look. Thanks!

I’ve been wanting a lemon/lime tree for quite some time. But it’s like 40 bucks for a small tree, and the cuttings on eBay are like 20 bucks for 3 cuttings. I’d get the cuttings if I knew for sure I’d be able to root them.

Comment

• GardenCat
                  GardenCat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m in the same boat but in the end I rather pay a bit more to get a well rooted tree. I just learned how to root figs and feel like I am no where ready to root or graft fruit trees.

Originally posted by GardenCat View Post
                I know I’m not in the most appropriate zone for lemons and citrus but I would like to still try- I have a heated sun room for the colder months that I think would be well suited to a dwarf tree. During the summer it will definitely live outside. Do you have any recommended online retailers/ nurseries that carry dwarf varieties?

I saw a few online but they are in Florida and can not ship out of state.

Any tips on successful indoor growth and care?
                Not sure if you're interested in this variety or not, but Calamondins are a citrus variety that are sometimes grown indoors. I've even seen people turning this variety into bonsai trees. They're a cool citrus. They taste sour like a lemon, but have a distinct flavor of orange instead. Nice to mix in beverages (margaritas especially) and also I've used them in sauces (soy sauce, ginger, garlic, honey and calamondin juice is nice.......or hoisin sauce, ginger and calamondin juice.....or any mixture of all those ingredients....you'll find something you find delicious). When we've picked a bunch all at once, we've even made "orangeade" (like lemonade, but orangey).
                -Luke S. San Antonio, 9a
                -SAH Dad, gardener, fan of comedy, philosophy, and the deep dive on YouTube
                -W/L:Campaniere, Thermalito, WM #1, Bordissot B/N, Del Sen Jaume Gran, Brown Turkey

Comment

Nagami and Fukushu Kumquats and Eustice limequat and Keylime have done very well for me in the 6a KC, Mo region. 4 Winds has done well by me, along with reasonable shipping rates. $11. for 18 inch potted tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Figgy Ramone View Post
                    Nagami and Fukushu Kumquats and Eustice limequat and Keylime have done very well for me in the 6a KC, Mo region. 4 Winds has done well by me, along with reasonable shipping rates. $11. for 18 inch potted tree.
                    You mind sending me a link? I went to that vendor I don’t see that price though.

Comment

Working...
                    X