X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with blueberry plant seller helloorganics on eBay?

This seller sells tissue culture four-packs of desirable varieties like Sweetcrisp and Springhigh. I've bought Sweetcrisps from him earlier this year, and now Springhigh (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321917625613...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT). The Sweetcrisps arrived extremely tiny (2-4" high) but in great condition and are now doing well in 1-gal pots though nowhere near fruiting.

Just curious to know if anyone else knows this seller, or has bought from him/her with any particularly good or bad experience. I find identifying blueberry varieties to be even more difficult than figs, and would never be able to tell if these plants are true to variety or not. Thanks!
    Sarah
    Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

I bought from the same seller and mine are doing fine so far. They look like vines with the way they are growing long and lanky. From what I've read from smart blueberry folks, if we have the real deal, the berries have a very unique look. So, my first opportunity will be when I see some flowers I guess.
    I just bought some sweetcrisp blueberry plants from Ebay. After hearing all the good things about them online, I could never (and still can't) find them in stock
    Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• Sarahkt
      Sarahkt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I do remember that thread, I bought Sweetcrisps around the same time as you.

Mine are also growing like vines. I'm planning to stake them to encourage more upright growth.

Sweetcrisp grows just like springhigh, long and lanky. If you let either of these varieties new growth get to tall with out tipping you will have fruit laying on the ground or you will have to stake up the canes. I like to tip the new growth about every 6 to 8 inches. This slowed down the plant and let's the branches harden off so there not so flimsy and also promotes branching which equal more fruit.

Comment

Ah, good timing! The shipment just arrived now a couple days early, which is great because I didn't want them sitting on the doorstep while we were away for Thanksgiving. They're still very small, but look quite a bit sturdier and taller than the Sweetcrisps did upon arrival.
      You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
      Sarah
      Bay Area, CA (zone: 9B)

Comment

• Visceral
        Visceral commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes those do look nice and big too!

Originally posted by Blueboy1977 View Post
      Sweetcrisp grows just like springhigh, long and lanky. If you let either of these varieties new growth get to tall with out tipping you will have fruit laying on the ground or you will have to stake up the canes. I like to tip the new growth about every 6 to 8 inches. This slowed down the plant and let's the branches harden off so there not so flimsy and also promotes branching which equal more fruit.

Yes I've seen your plants online and they look nice and bushy instead of lanky. I can only hope to get mine looking as good eventually.
      Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

Working...
      X