This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A place for discussing all manner of natures edibles but Blueberries are still my favorite.

The amazing superfruit Blueberries. Be it southern highbush, rabbiteye or northern varieties this is the spot. I'm not aware of any real blueberry forums?
    Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Great! I will attempting to root a few blueberry cuttings in the next couple of weeks. This is my first time growing this fruit, so it will be nice to get help here.
    Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

I like it...I live in the middle of acres of wild Maine lowbush blueberries. Last year with the use of a friend's winnowing machine I put up over 300lbs; fresh frozen, preserves, wine.
      Jesse in western Maine, zone 4/5
      Wishlist- Figues Juane, Demos unk, Nantes Maroc, Thermalito

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        All of that and not having to care for them yourself, hard to beat that.

I'm hoping to have a decent year (finally) with my blues. I think I've got the fertilizer situation worked out pretty well.

Jesse, I remember on my honeymoon we went to Acadia National Park, blueberries grew out on of everything! Snacks as you hiked, it was excellent.
      https://www.figbid.com/Listing/Browse?Seller=Kelby
      SE PA
      Zone 6

Comment

• zone5figger
        zone5figger commented
        Editing a comment
        Acadia is covered with the wild blues, isn't it. In the fields around here, for the most part the berries are interspersed with other plant, not true blueberry barrens, but still some really nice patches. We have lots of visitors 'drop by' during picking season

Originally posted by WillsC View Post
      The amazing superfruit Blueberries. Be it southerns highbush, rabbiteye or northern varieties this is the spot. I'm not aware of any real blueberry forums?
      Thanks so much for this new forum. I've looked for years for a specific forum re blueberries and found none (except for a few good threads at GardenWeb).

It may be heresy to say this here, but I love blueberries more than figs.

SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• WillsC
        WillsC commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol made it just for you Gina but the rest of us can post here too.

This place keeps getting better and better. This will be my very first season growing figs AND blueberries and I know I'll be needing some major help and support along the way. Thanks!
      Alma from Maryland 7b

Comment

I love blueberries and grow a few bushes in containers. Elizabeth, Patriot and a european cultivar called Goldtraube.
        My 8 month old really has a taste for all kinds of berries so i will be adding a few more this spring.
        She goes mad just of just the smell when i'm preparing her forest fruit compote in the blender.
        Rotterdam / the Netherlands.
        Zone 8B

Comment

I'm growing mostly Northern Highbush in ground in my "Blueberry Patch" with a few half high varieties in pots. Guess I'll be checking in on occasion ; )
          Friends in Sullivan County NY live in an area that is completely covered with wild blueberries, NY Route 17 between exit 113 and 111, but its all hilly terrain.
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I have about 7 different varieties all planted in the ground. Unfortuately, I had a map of my blueberry area with the variety names recorded on my old laptop. Then the hard-drive died and the data was unretrievable. So somewhere I have an email from Edible Landscaping describing what I got but I could only match names with a plant for a subset. I know I have Sunshine Blue and O'Neal. Last year Blueboy sent me cuttings of Sweetcrisp and another variety that I can't think of off the top of my head. I got one Sweetcrisp to take and I decided to take out one of my others that I wasn't impressed with and replace with the Sweetcrisp. I would be surprised if I get fruit from it this year but definitely next year I should. The challenge with growing them here is the birds - with all the netting used to protect them they are a pain in the arse to pick - but very delicious.
            Steve
            D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
            WL: Verdolino, Figue Jaune, Nantes Maroc, Lussheim

Comment

I have about 50 to 60 southern highbush plants, all in pots, of about a dozen varieties. I'm going for as many good-tasting low chill varieties as possible since, well, we have very little winter chill. Anything above 300 hours is 'iffy' here.

One of the reasons I grow so many is the birds. My strategy was to have more berries than they can possibly eat, so there will be some left for the humans. And, unless the grosbeaks are in town, that seems to work.
              SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

• JD
                JD commented
                Editing a comment
                Gina,
                When time permits, I would love to see pictures of those 50+ pots. I need some ideas for the 32 I have potted and grounded.
                7 are mature and the birds do not like to share so it has been a struggle: human vs. birds.
                Thanks,
                Jimmie

Hi Gina, perhaps you can describe how you tend to BB in pots. My soil is much too sweet for blueberries so I wanted to plant a few in pots but I'm not sure of how to do it. Can you treat them mostly like potted fig and root prune and repot every few years. If not what is your method and what is your soil.
              Thanks,
              "gene"
              Zone 9 Houma LA in the bayou land.

Comment

Gene,

Just how sweet is your soil, do you know? What about your water? The water makes as much of a difference if not more than the water. The use of sulfuric acid makes a HUGE difference and it is so easy to use.
              Cutting sales on willsfigs.com started Nov 1 and will continue till about March 1.

Comment

• PawPaw Gene
                PawPaw Gene commented
                Editing a comment
                Wills most of my area has a PH of 7.
                "gene"

Wills,
              Looking forward to this new blueberry forum. Just want everyone to know that Wills is a true expert on blueberries also!
              I plan on posting pics real soon. I have about 20 different blueberry varieties in pots. I am in the middle of my raised bed project now-200 feet long, 3 feet wide, 8 inches high. Looking forward to see other blueberry set-ups, potting methods etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WillsC View Post
                The amazing superfruit Blueberries. Be it southerns highbush, rabbiteye or northern varieties this is the spot. I'm not aware of any real blueberry forums?
                Blueberry forum. Hmmm. Good idea. We have a ton of blueberry trees we have acess to plus,our own. Best wine ever. Would like to find a heavy producer of big blueberries.

Comment

OH HELLS YA!!!!!!!! Way to go Wills!!!!!! Ive been wanting a blueberry forum for years, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Gina,
                    When time permits, I would love to see pictures of those 50+ pots. I need some ideas for the 32 I have potted and grounded.
                    7 are mature and the birds do not like to share so it has been a struggle: human vs. birds.
                    Thanks,
                    Jimmie
                    Will do... but it might take awhile to get my photo set up going.
                    SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

This is just great. I absolutely love blueberries.
                      I have always had problems with acidity, and not over doing it.
                      I went all over different spots on our land with a ph tester and found my naturally most acidic soil.
                      It is located on a steep hill but not hard to get to as I dug out a couple flat steps in the hill.
                      Last year I planted what my wife and I named "blueberry hill" on our property.
                      I put in 2 pink lemon aid and 2 blue varieties so far.
                      I have room for a bunch more and I'm just now learning that I can start cuttings from BB's.
                      This is where I get excited. Now I will search ebay for BB cuttings, lol. Woot!

Have fun all, everything is up hill from here.
                      Weather here in SC shows a warming trend right into spring.
                      I hope everyone has a great season.

Doug

Comment

• WillsC
                        WillsC commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Doug where do you live?

Chester South Carolina WillsC.

Why?
                      Last edited by SCfigFanatic; 02-22-2015, 04:13 PM.

Comment

SoCal, zone 10.

Comment

How funny, I knew it sounded familiar

Ah found my thrill.....on blueberry hill....

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by SCfigFanatic View Post
                            Chester South Carolina WillsC.

Why?

Just trying to see what varieties for you were best.

Comment

Any suggestions for me?
                              Our local feed store/nursery usually has blueberry bushes in the spring.
                              I'm looking at the high bush variety online.
                              Never know what I'll end up with.

Doug

Comment

• WillsC
                                WillsC commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Doug,

I'm just not sure, don't have a lot of experience with your zone.

I just got back from tractor supply.
                              I bought a Patriot and a Northland blueberry and 2 more lemonade blueberries.
                              Only $5 each in what I'd say was a quart or so sized box.
                              Then I had to get another Concord and a Niagara grape.....only 5$ ea!

Doug

Comment

Hello everyone!

I looked through the member list and see I already have friends here! My life has been very full the last year and thankfully I am starting to have some free time again. Not a lot but some. Anyway I, like many of you, am thankful for a Blueberry forum. Where I live in Pensacola Florida I have a naturally acidic soil and through the years have built up the organic part of my soil. I keep it permanently munched with four to eight inches of mostly Live Oak leaves and have a ZERO tolerance for weeds. I am in the final stages of my automatic surface level spray heads. I also have overhead irrigation to use for washing the leaves during prolonged drought. I am looking to add a fertigation unit next. I must at this point say that a very good friend generously donated the necessary parts for this system and I appreciate that and most importantly his friendship.

Thats all for now. Glad to see many old friends here and I'm looking forward to learning more about blueberries!
                                Darkman AKA Charles in Pensacola South of I-10 zone 8b/9a

Comment

Wills, Great Site, TY for the invite
                                  Floral City, Fla. Zone 9A

Comment

Working...
                                  X