X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting bushes to propagate.

Splitting blueberry bushes was mentioned in a recent post about propagation. To all those who have split blueberry bushes to increase their bush numbers, have you ever had any bad turnouts and lost some? Meaning did you start with one and end up with none or just one bush smaller than you started with, instead of getting the desired 1 big= 2 smaller?

When I move this spring I was going to dig up my bushes and take them with me. I was also going to order some more of the same varieties, but since I will have to cut my big bushes back and they will be set back anyway, why not just split them as well? I just wouldn't want to end up losing any.

Thoughts?
    Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
    Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

My southerms don't often sucker at the base. Of the 300 bushes I have maybe 1 or 2 a year will pop a stem at the base that could be separated. I have done it with good results though.
    Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

Alright, thanks Wills. But that's talking about dividing suckers from the mother. I'm asking about digging up the mother and dividing her rootball in half. Trim the entire bush down considerably and dig out the root mass; would you feel comfortable dividing it similar to a perennial flower and planting the divided bush(es)?
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

I grow mine in pots and have divided several of them with good success. I only lost one small division that I forgot to water. Dividing does not lend itself to all varieties however, only those with multiple canes that come up from all over the pot.

I did most of this last winter when I was transplanting almost all of my BBs, and only decided which were good candidates for dividing after removing them from the pots and removing a good deal of soil so I could see what was what below ground. In some cases I used a saw in order to divide the 'root ball'. It was not easy, but it worked. I was surprised at the fact that there were so many successes after such brutal treatment.

This winter I was planning on dividing a couple of others.

As to whether you can/should divide yours, wait till they are dug up and you can better see what is happening underground... and then decide.
        SoCal, zone 10.
        www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• cis4elk
          cis4elk commented
          Editing a comment
          Good information Gina, thanks.
      Working...
      X