• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarm of (Yellowjackets?)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	FDAC58D1-B735-4BBB-BC16-4865003135BE.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	533720 There is a swarm of what appears to be yellowjackets on the growing tips of my newly planted pistachio trees. Are they good or bad for trees? I can’t seem to find much about it online. Sorry about the fuzzy picture I chickened out on getting too close😒 they are very aggressive .
    Attached Files
    Eric Los Lunas NM, Zone 7

They will destroy and decimate your fruits. Last year I threw out buckets of spoiled fruit. I recommend using traps to catch them.

Comment

well here they get on plants for couple reasons. plant may have insects on they want to eat, or that secrete sweet honeydew juice like aphids or plant secretes sweet juice itself they drink
      Personally would regard ths as a good thing get all your targets in one clump to spray with insect spray from couple feet away Easy kill.
      Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST :CC, ZAFFIRO, CAMPANIERE

Comment

• Ejiron
        Ejiron commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Yatama at first I thought they were maybe eating aphids or some other pests so I let them be. Then I did a thorough inspection during the middle of the day no yellow jackets around in the heat of the day, and I did not see any insects so I think they may be eating the plant itself. Time to get the wasp spray out.

hit them hard get them all, also look yo see if they have small hole in groud wgere they live. People place one of yhose electrified tennis racket type bug zappers up on 4 rocks inch and half above the hole after cutting all vegetation down to soillevelthen they get zapped coming and going. poisoning the hole justmakes then move elsewhere yu will know know.Take advantage of their weaknesses. They will ruin your fruits/\\ice pistachio!wish could grow them here, but we got pecans.
      Z8A NC SANDHILLS

Comment

• Ejiron
        Ejiron commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks again that tennis racket idea sounds awesome! I’m gonna have to try that one for sure. Pistachio tree sounded like a good idea to me since me and the kids love them so much and because of how pricey they are.

well I saw video how to get rid of YJ bugs and the racket was best but need to find their hole in ground which is apparently often only size of a pencil! They seemed to like a place thatdoes not ever get submerged in water, The guy showed dozens dead on ground under the electric racket thing. Sure great to have the tree there.I could eat a pound a week! Of course your bugs might actually have their hole in a neighbors yard! He said can find hole if look for them coming out rather than going in and best in morning when they start out
      Z8A NC SANDHILLS

Comment

Can’t really tell from the pics. Maybe you can get closer and take some more pics.

Comment

• Ejiron
          Ejiron commented
          Editing a comment
          Got some better pictures post number 11

Looks more like a small cluster of bees. As stated above, closer pics please. Quite odd behavior for yellowjackets. BTW african hybrids make small swarm clusters.
        figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄
        El Paso Tx zone 8a 8” rain

Comment

• Ejiron
          Ejiron commented
          Editing a comment
          I will get a closer picture today when I get home if they are still there.

It’s swarm season. Kelby just picked up a swarm that was in one of his trees yesterday

Comment

Ejiron, I agree with dig...they COULD be killer type bees...please be very cautious. We are loaded with yellowjackets here in Georgia (Georgia Tech mascot) have never observed this behavior here. Another point...typically yellowjacket populations build in the latter part of summer....NOT this early in the season. Keep us updated and be safe! randy/GA

Comment

Also swarms have NEVER been aggressive towards me and I have been around many dozens. African hybrids also will build comb on branches unlike europeen breeds.
            figs, peaches, apples, nectarines, pomegranates, cherry, pistachio, and pear tree grower 😄

Comment

• Ejiron
              Ejiron commented
              Editing a comment
              Got some better pictures what do you think? The growing tips of the new branches were pretty mangled up as if they were eating it or sucking the juices out or something.

Comment

• fig Lebowski
              fig Lebowski commented
              Editing a comment
              Stay away from those! Yellowjackets
              They are like a pack of Hispanic women armed with knives and hopped up on Crystal Meth.
              They will stab you, and stab you over and over again the whole pack of them.

I say your best bet is to get one of Elon Musks flamethrowers and burn them with fire.. god save your soul and burn them all!

• Ejiron
              Ejiron commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha ha that’s a very good comparison

• Lucrative
              Lucrative commented
              Editing a comment
              HAHAHA! Sound advice from fig Lebowski

Got some better pictures above.

Comment

They will destroy your figs. Get one of those pheromone traps. Amazon sells them. They are super effective and don't hurt any of the bees or other beneficial insects

Comment

If I recall correctly adult wasps mostly feed on nectar them selves and mostly forage other food for their larval offspring.
                I've seen groups on some of my other plants I believe they were drinking dew or leaf juice.

They would definitely visit my passion fruit vines and get the extrafloral nectar.

As a kid we had some truly huge yellow jacket nests around my parents place.
                We'd make a few "2 liter bottle yellow jacket trap" and after a week have literally thousands in there, a simple way to help take their numbers down to a more reasonable level.

Last summer I discovered where the wasps on my passion fruit vines were coming from. My AC fan housing had three large wasp nests in it!
                That I took care of with Raid, three cans of Raid. (Ain't nobody got time for that! Especially when it's 110 degrees and your AC needs fixing but is guarded by hundreds of wasps)

Simon - Far Northern California - Zone 9b

Comment

You can make a Yellowjacket trap with some old meat soapy water and a 2 liter bottle.
                  They are carnivores first, but will take anything of opportunity..

Comment

100% yellowjackets. very odd behavior. blast them at night with a jet of water. Soapy water is the best to prevent them from flying but it is hard to deliver without be closeup. But if you blast them at night and knock them to the ground nature should do the rest. Do this in low light. Do not breathe on them. CO2 makes them very mad.

edit
                    Wasp spray will 100% burn your pistachio leaves. Soapy water won’t.
                    Last edited by Dig; 06-13-2019, 06:56 PM. Reason: pistachio care

Comment

A dissenting view, transmitting wisdom from a buddy. I'm assuming that your western yellowjackets behave likes ours in the east. Eastern species of yellowjackets eat meat (including bugs, carrion, garbage) early in the season. You may have notice them attacking your hamburger at the family picnic. This feeds the young. The underground nest eventually grows to hold thousands of individuals, so killing even 100 makes only a miserable dent. Late in the season, they switch to carbohydrates and eat fruit. They can decimate figs, peaches, berries, grapes . . .

Buy some cheap canned fish-based cat food. Buy an ant / roach gel poison with the active ingredient fipronil. Mix the fipronil gel into the cat food. Hang the can of cat food somewhere inaccessible to other meat-eating pests, such as raccoons and possums. Worker hornets will grab the meat and gel, bring it back to the nest, feed it to the sisters, including the queen. Job done.

Youtube has bait trap designs.
                      Joe, Z6B, RI. Hoping for warmer, drier weather. If it continues like this, I might as well be in Seattle.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone those yellow jackets are toast!

Comment

Working...
                        X