X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WillsC
    replied
    Inkfin,

I don't have one to confirm. I had planted two Scintilla, one croaked and one was a poor grower so I removed it.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied
    #40.1

Inkfin commented
    04-14-2015, 06:35 AM

Wills, my FHN-Scintilla (don't know if it true to type or not yet) also droops just like SC in the afternoon sun. Just wondering if someone who has true Scintilla can confirm this droopy trait.
    I can't comment specifically on either SC or Scintilla, but since I grow all my BBs in pots, and it does not rain in the summer here, a lot of mine wilt in the afternoon. When they do, I know it's time to water.

Leave a comment:

• PharmaChad
    replied
    Pic of my SC that I planted from liners in the fall.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Inkfin
    commented on 's reply
    Wills, my FHN-Scintilla (don't know if it true to type or not yet) also droops just like SC in the afternoon sun. Just wondering if someone who has true Scintilla can confirm this droopy trait.

• WillsC
    replied
    Chad,

SC is one of the few that is easy to ID. Even when they don't have fruit they are easy to ID from the way the tips droop in the afternoon sun and the wispy growth. When they fruit they are unmistakable as no other BB has no calyx.

Leave a comment:

• PharmaChad
    commented on 's reply
    Soooooooooooo sorry! I went back to look at my plants and the one in the pic is an Abundance. It is right next to my SC. I had people from this site look at the pic and tell me that it was not SC. Wow these guys and gals really know their stuff! Thanks.

• fruitnut
    replied
    Originally posted by PharmaChad View Post
    Top of one of my Sweetcrisp which is in a 30 gallon container. Seems to have a few berries!
    Have you tasted the fruit to be sure it's a Sweetcrisp? The calyx looks awfully prominent. But that feature of the fruit does seem to shrink as the berry expands. The fruits are also nearly spherical. Much more so than anything else I've grown. The pic is a little hard to see berry details. It has the scattered berry feature of SC and probably is true to type.

Leave a comment:

• PharmaChad
    replied
    Top of one of my Sweetcrisp which is in a 30 gallon container. Seems to have a few berries!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied
    Another benefit of Sweetcrisps is that they seem to not be as prone to bird damage. Perhaps it's their fruit size or shape, or how they branch (floppier), or perhaps that their berries are firmer.

Leave a comment:

• Harborseal
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! 1 or 2 would be fine for me

• m5allen
    replied
    I am getting the SHs for Wills. I am currently checking with my friend on how much inventory he can get (he is taking forever to get back to me). Harborseal - i'll let you know if I can get more.

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    replied
    Bob,

The shipping would be brutal, but......the person who found them for me is on this thread so I will let him respond if he can and is willing to.

Leave a comment:

• Harborseal
    replied
    WillsC, can your friend find 1 or 2 for me?

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    commented on 's reply
    Bob,

Sorry a friend was able to find me SH in a 3 gallon pot for $5 each.......now that is hard to pass up.

• Blueboy1977
    replied
    For me SH is a very lanky bush and doesn't want to branch out much after pruning or tipping. It does branch some but nothing like all the other varieties I've grown. To me that's a negative. As far as it being self fruitful, that seems to be true for me to an extent but not 100%. Keep in mind I'm growing out doors so mine is exposed to high winds, rain etc........ I didint get a very good fruit set at all this season on SH, actually the worst fruit set of any of my plants. On top that, another 30-40% of the fruit will drop due to wind as the branches are so long and floppy with any kind of fruit weight. I'm not convinced there the best option for growing outdoors because of these reasons. SC has some of the same traits but it does branch out rapidly either from pruning or pinching. SC has also out produced my SH for 3 straight years now as well. Take all this into consideration if growing SH outdoors. Wind protection will be a must during fruiting season.

Leave a comment:

• Harborseal
    replied
    Thanks! A kind benefactor is sending me some Sweetcrisps. They'll be ok in a garage that only rarely sees 35 in the winter and is generally right at 40, right? Would they be safe there for 4 months? I could bring them in a grow room in winter if needed.

So now I'm on the lookout for Springhigh and Indiocrisp. Has anyone with enough chill hours compared any of these to any of the Northern Highbush types?

WillsC, If you buy a flat, I'd buy 2 from you and I'm sure you'd get other takers.
    Last edited by Harborseal; 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied

It's almost unfair to talk about how good Sweetcrisps are because of how difficult they are to obtain. But if you ever have a chance to buy one, go for it.

(edit: Sweetcrisps are so special, when I graze berries for a snack, I first hit the too few SC bushes. Their berries likely will never be combined with others in general pickings.)

Since all Sweetcrisps are clones, the results of pollination between two plants is genetically the same as pollination from branch to branch on the same bush.

I've not tasted Springhighs, but not only are they reported to taste good, they are said to be self-fruitful.
    Last edited by Gina; 04-05-2015, 09:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    replied
    Bob,

SH has more BB flavor than SC. SC is sweeter and has a crunch and it is that crunch that makes it the king, in my opinion.

SCXSC is partially self fruitful so yes you would get fruit but not as much and not as big.

Leave a comment:

• Harborseal
    replied
    Wills, send me a few Indigocrisps to make room for your new plants. Or at least cuttings when you prune.

So those of you who've had Springhigh and Sweetcrisp, does SC have as much blueberry flavor as SH or is it just sweeter?

Can a SC pollinate another SC bush or do they need a different pollinator?

Leave a comment:

• penandpike
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by WillsC View Post
    I have never grown springhigh just had the fruit and maybe it had been stored awhile and was softer than it would be at harvest. Damn......now I am thinking of adding a row, you people are the worst (looking at you Steve).
    Geez, there is no end to this. I feel the same way.

• Gina
    replied
    Climax is a rabbiteye. Emerald is a southern highbush variety and has been around for about 15 years. It's one of the more widely planted commercial blueberries. It's known for low-chill, early, large, firm, prolific berries. But flavor is relatively subtle. I like it very much, but at this time would prefer to plant and try newer varieties.

Leave a comment:

• Darkman
    replied
    Isn't Emerald an older variety? I think Climax replaced it. Does that sound right?

Leave a comment:

• WillsC
    replied
    I need to count the bushes but guessing it is somewhere between 300-400? I really do not have room for another row but I do have more emeralds that are hitting the chopping block so could replace them. I would probably have to buy a liner tray of 60 arg......

Leave a comment:

• m5allen
    replied
    Originally posted by WillsC View Post
    As Steve said training SC is not possible.......they will do what they want and you can forget about them looking neat.

SC is self fruitful (with bees) but with a flower set of only 50% and a reduced berry size.

Frank as long as your generics bloom at the same time as the sweetcrisps you are good.

I have never grown springhigh just had the fruit and maybe it had been stored awhile and was softer than it would be at harvest. Damn......now I am thinking of adding a row, you people are the worst (looking at you Steve).
    What is 10 more plants if you already have like 60 at this point? What is your current count after culling the Emeralds and adding Ravens Kestrels and Indigos?

Springhigh was my first blueberry plant and I killed it (I have another one now). I didn't know at that time about how harmful watering from my alkaline tap water was.

My only complaint about this variety, at least for me, is that it grows very tall and lanky. I can't seem to get it to bush out. So for me, it is not that productive because I can't seem to get much canopy.

Leave a comment:

• Gina
    replied
    Damn......now I am thinking of adding a row, you people are the worst (looking at you Steve).
    LOL, I've been trying to figure out where I can stick more pots - maybe near the citrus. I don't think my upper limit of 60 max is going to hold. My old limit of 50 didn't. I've already been checking on Craig's list for more pots...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X