X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jujubes

Carefree reliable fruit year after year except that the effing squirrels have discovered the tree this year.
    Attached Files
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Frank - they look great! I've been thinking about trying them out, trying to figure what will work best in my area. I don't know of anyone around here that has them. Any suggestions?

Casey
    Central Ma, 5b/6a ish

Comment

• sifipps
      sifipps commented
      Editing a comment
      You may want to do some reading on growingfruit.org; several jujube threads over there. Jujubes are hardy to zone 5 or so but some folks struggle to ripen fruit without sufficient summer heat and in areas much warmer than zone 5. I think at least one person on that forum in zone 5 gets fruit but I think it requires some special effort to do so.

Casey, check out ediblelandscaping online nursery. I remember seeing jujubes being sold for zones 5 and 6.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Comment

• Casey
      Casey commented
      Editing a comment
      Great, thank you!

Casey - I second edible landscaping. I got honey jar, sugar cane, and GA 866 from them this spring. They haven't been tested by our winter yet. They came 3-4 feet tall and looked really good. Honey Jar has really taken off. The other two still look good, but haven't grown much yet. I heard about a guy who grows Li and Lang successfully in Iowa City which is 5B. If any of mine die this winter, I'll probably replace them with one of those two.
    Iowa. Zone 5A.

Comment

Scott - thanks, I will definitely check them out!
      Central Ma, 5b/6a ish

Comment

Frank, are those Li?

Comment

Indeed. The effing squirrels gave them a 5/5 rating!!
          Last edited by FMD; 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM. Reason: Spelling is deteriorating with age...
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

Working...
          X