X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistani Mulberry cutting propagation year 2

Ok last year I posted 3 small cuttings we managed to root from a small limb. A few people commented saying they never could get Pakistani Mulberry to root from cuttings, so here we are year 2 and we shall try again. Last years cutting are reported to still be doing good, 2 were gifted or traded on here, and one we keep because it was the smallest of the 3. We will be doing the same thing just scraping the bottoms and sticking them into regular potting mix under a tree to root, no rooting hormone or anything special. We will check on them just to make sure they do not dry out and report back when we have growth.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7341[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	578929Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7342[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	112.0 KB ID:	578931Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7348[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.1 KB ID:	578930
    Central Florida zone 9b

Good luck. I usually get leaves but no roots.
    North Central Florida, Zone 9a.
    WL- I-258, WM #1, Madeira Island Black

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	30E1ACD8-7173-4824-A235-48C7C19FB7A5.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	579990 This is the last of the three cuttings we rooted last year.
      Central Florida zone 9b

Comment

I've definitely never had luck with Pakistan either. I have had some success with Oscar and Shangri-La. This year I put are layers on my Pakistan I'm hoping to have at least one with success over the next month or two
        Arizona, Zone 9B.
        Seeking-Genovese Nero AF, Bourjasotte Gris, Violette Sepor, Capoll Curt Negra.

Comment

Hi, i have a few mulberries, only had luck rooting Shangri la and Oscar.
          in fact i have a few more shangri la cuttings rooting right now

Comment

Failed to root silk hope, white pakistan/saharanpur, pakistan, nigras, gerardi

Comment

If one cannot root MB's well try grafting to red mulberry rootstocks I get 100%
              Z8A NC SANDHILLS

WISH LIST :CC, ZAFFIRO, CAMPANIERE

Comment

• Hillbillyhort
                Hillbillyhort commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you have any tips on grafting mulberry ?
                I have good luck grafting most things , but low success with mulberry.
                What is your secret to get 100%

• YATAMA
                YATAMA commented
                Editing a comment
                Billy: I have scion dormant, rootstocks in great rich soil in containers that have just leafed out in mild spring weather. I use long whip grafts with topof scion wrapped in parafilm, the cuts on scion and rootstocks swabbed with dipngrow.graft is wrapped tightly with rubber band and then parafilm. Containers are put in partial shade and containers kept fairly moist with miracle grow. I use native red mulberry stocks,not the white mulberry or hybrids. With fresh non dried out scions I get almost 100% here. Rooting cuttings is not as good. Air layers so far 100%. Just cut off and potted 5 Pakistan A/L's important to pinch off any attempts of little fruits to develop as steal nutrients.Good luck

Are air layers a viable option with mulberries?
              Central Ma, 5b/6a ish

Comment

• YATAMA
                YATAMA commented
                Editing a comment
                yes got 5 just potted up this week for swaps

• Stela G
                Stela G commented
                Editing a comment
                we have a couple al set now on pakistani, and thai dwarf, but I think they are.

Does this look like a mulberry?
              Cheryl (f/k/a VeryNew2Figs) Zone 5a/6a
              What I'm growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

• Stela G
                Stela G commented
                Editing a comment
                looks similar to pakistani mulberry

• MrC
                MrC commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes.

It does look like the Pakistani. It popped up along the fence line last year and I cut it down. Of course it grew back. Yesterday I repotted the Pakistani that one of the members gave away a couple months ago. As I was sitting the pot down the tree along the fence was in the direct line of sight as the potted one and I noticed the leaves looked alike. Of course now I have to try to dig it up and pot it up.

Good to know you guys saw what I saw.
              Cheryl (f/k/a VeryNew2Figs) Zone 5a/6a
              What I'm growing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Working...
              X