X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air layering blueberries

I'm planning on setting up a couple air layers. The plant I want to do is actively growing now so I think timing would be OK. In the past I used straight unprocessed spaghnam moss within the layers. For rooting soft-wood cuttings, I've used half perlite, half ground peat moss. What do you think would be more successful, one of those, or something else?
    SoCal, zone 10.
    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

I don't believe one would be any better than the other Gina. I think the main thing is to limit the amount of moisture initially until roots form then it goes the other way in trying to maintain a constant level of moisture. I tried to air layer a few branches last year and none took unfortunately. I think I just let the soil dry out too much and I also did the air layers on side growing branches which might have contributed to my failure. This season Im going to try it on some up right canes and see if that makes the difference. I will start yours next month when I get all my plants moved to the new house.

Comment

I haven't decided on what I'll use yet, but I should soon.

The layers I set up a few months ago are both on upright branches, and some horizontal. I'll keep note which have rooted - if they do.
      SoCal, zone 10.
      www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

• Inkfin
        Inkfin commented
        Editing a comment
        Results on your bb air-layering? What percentage rooted? Thanks.
    Working...
    X