X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best fertilizer for blueberries

I plant to grow them in pots, with peat moss, pine bark, and perlite as soil mix, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Everybody is different. I like to use an organic acid loving fertilizer like Holly-Tone, or any other acidic organic, then while growing once a month at 1ts per 2.5 gallons use Ammonium sulfate. And use only rainwater to water. I do this for both container and in ground. Some use more AS, but I just want to give them AS not just for nitrogen but to acidify the soil too.It ensures the root zone is at the proper pH to absorb nutrients. I may eventually eliminate the AS. It works well though.

Comment

I have been using a 30-10-10 soil acidifier fert. Have a question regarding the (N) it is composed of 2.5% ammoniacal, 2.0% nitrate, 25.5% urea. Is this suitable for Blueberries in pots?

Comment

Luckily for me I live in an area with many BB farms and Helena chemical sells a fertilizer designed just for them. It is also quite cheap at $14 for a 50# bag. It has all the needed elements and all the micros. I give it to them about 3 times a year, the rest of the season I just use AS injected through a venturi in to the irrigation water along with the acid. Just make sure whatever you use does not have muriate of potash in it.
        Cutting sales start Nov 1 at 9PM eastern time as always at willsfigs.com

Comment

I use used coffee grounds that i get for free from Starbucks.

Comment

Anyone got opinion on the following fertilizer? Sta-Green 10-lb Synthetic Azaleas Camellias and Rhododendrons Plant Food Granules (10-5-4)"

Comment

• Inkfin
              Inkfin commented
              Editing a comment
              This fertilizer has muriate of potash (potassium chloride) which is bad for bb.

• WillsC
              WillsC commented
              Editing a comment
              As Inkfin said that fertilizer is a NO.

I was loking at the product on Lowe's website and under specs it says
            "Can be used on edibles?.......No
            http://www.lowes.com/pd_423104-1321-100513195_0__

Not sure why that is?

Comment

• WillsC
              WillsC commented
              Editing a comment
              That is odd. I would not be worried about it just make sure it does not have any muriate of potash and the ammonium form of nitrogen instead of
              from nitrate.

Originally posted by WillsC View Post
            Luckily for me I live in an area with many BB farms and Helena chemical sells a fertilizer designed just for them. It is also quite cheap at $14 for a 50# bag. It has all the needed elements and all the micros. ...
            What's the name of this fertilizer?
            Bob C.
            Kansas City, MO Z6

Comment

Originally posted by Harborseal View Post

What's the name of this fertilizer?

Bob,

It does not really have a name. It comes in 2 forms a 12-4-8 and 17-4-8. They call it blueberry special here but that is not a name on the bag. It is just a formulation Helena makes for BB growers. A friend in Texas tried to buy it from Helena and he could not get it.

You can use about anything for the BB plants, miracle grow is fine. If you don't care about organic just use AS 90% of the time and lightly with each watering is BEST. Then just say once a month give them a balanced fertilizer with micros. It is mostly just the nitrogen they need. The rest of the elements will stay in the soil it is the nitrogen that needs to be supplied constantly or at least at a regular interval.

Comment

Unfortunately, latest version of Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble Azalea, Camellia, Rhododendron Plant Food also has Potassium chloride (muriate of potash) in its formula
                Label @: http://www.miraclegro.com/smg/produc..._Rhod_Food.pdf

Zone 8B, Texas

Comment

Ok that is a no also

Comment

Here's an interesting article on the complexities of fertilizing blueberries. Read the rest of the article at the link.

http://westernfarmpress.com/blueberr...can-be-complex

Blueberry potassium can be complex

Getting proper potassium uptake with blueberries can be tricky. Because of the blueberry plant’s quirky nature, growers can’t rely on soil tests to get a true reading of its nutrient needs. Precise timing of the application is also necessary in order to promote good yields.

Starting about 25 years ago, growers began noticing that soil tests and leaf analysis did not necessarily match up. Gary Pavlis, Atlantic County, N.J., Extension agent says samples from 39 farms showed no correlation between soil and leaf analysis.

“We found that nutrient levels were often fine in the soil but deficient in the plants, and vice-versa. Soil analysis is close to worthless for blueberries. We knew that leaf analysis is the better way to determine the blueberry plant’s nutrient needs,” Pavlis says.
                    SoCal, zone 10.
                    www.ourfigs.com Invite your friends.

Comment

Holly-Tone uses a form of Potassium Sulfate. I use this and boost nitrogen with ammonium sulfate. Guess I'll stick with it! It also has sulfur. Thanks for the article Gina, interesting. Although little detail!

Comment

Working...
                      X