X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink lemonade blueberry

Anyone have experience growing this variety (or maybe just pointers on what I might be doing wrong)? I have my blueberries planted next to a pine tree, so I assume the soil is acidic (never tested though). Most of my "blue" berries have flowered in the past and set fruit, but the pink lemonade bushes have never even flowered for me in 4+ years. The foliage looks nice, and the bushes look healthy otherwise. But nary a pink fruit in site. Is there any hope or am I better off just planting something else?
    Johnny
    Stuff I grow: Google Doc

If it is next to a pinetree, is it getting enough sunlight?

Comment

I haven't grown this one , but have had the ripe fruit from the plants we sell at work.
      Taste was much better than I expected. I'd keep it unless space is very limited
      Kerry - NH zone 5
      Wish list - Angelito ,Thermalito , Exquisito , Campaniere, Teramo .

Comment

PharmaChad, I did contemplate that possibility. The bushes are shaded in the afternoon. My other blueberries have fruited next to that pine tree, so I wasn't sure if light was the issue.

Kerry, it's good to hear that it's at least tasty. Maybe I'll try moving them to the front yard since it is a nice looking bush with interesting foliage. I have a Razz and Bonus blueberry coming in the spring that I want to plant in the backyard, and those Pink Lemonades are taking up some prime yard space for not producing.
        Johnny
        Stuff I grow: Google Doc

Comment

Pine trees do not grow in acid soil so the Ph could be any 6-7 you name it. The BB sets its fruiting buds late summer-early fall and you have to look what you are doing wrong at this time of the year. Maybe you don't water at this time or you don't fertilize enough so the plant doesn't have energy to set fruiting buds.
          Pen Europe, Bulgaria, Zone-6a

Comment

• jkuo
            jkuo commented
            Editing a comment
            I did not know about the timing of the buds. Thanks for the tip! My fall BB care regimen could very well be contributing to the problem. I basically ignore the bushes over the fall since my wife gets busy with work (teaching) and a lot more child care responsibility gets shifted to me.

As long as it gets at least half day sun it shouldn't be a light issue. In the fall blues need moisture to produce fruit buds. A lack of water in the fall will result in fewer fruit buds. One thing that will help is a thick layer of mulch to conserve moisture. Plus blues love the decaying organic matter. If you have access to pine bark mulch put at least a 3 inch layer over the entire root area. Do you fertilize your plants? If so, with what and how often?

Comment

• jkuo
            jkuo commented
            Editing a comment
            I've got my bushes mulched with pine needles from the pine tree, maybe an inch or so worth. I kind of like the pine needles because they are free and don't require me making a trip anywhere to pick them up. But adding pine bark mulch might be a good idea this season.

As for fertilizer, I add a handful of Holly Tone every so often (i.e. whenever my kids give me the time and I remember, roughly once a month).

I know this is an old post but we’ve been growing pink lemonade blueberries for about five years in pots. I have found that ours typically need more sun than regular blueberries. You could also try pruning them back a little (~3-4”) bit to see if it helps your fruit set the following season.

Also mulch really heavily with sawdust or bark mulch
          Last edited by Sod; 01-10-2020, 03:43 PM.
          Oregon, Z 8b. WL: zaffiro, campaniere, thermalito, DSJG, verdolino, Green mich, rubado, sodus Sicilian, Burgan, petravaca bijela, valle negra, fiorone di ruvo, st. Martin, qudsaya, cherry cordial, cul d’asse, GDSJ, iznot, salce, verdal negra, BNR, RDS, PR, saijo

Comment

• Janibd
            Janibd commented
            Editing a comment
            What size pots? I have one in a 7 gallon pot it hasn’t gotten very big but it just recently bloomed with flowers.

• Sod
            Sod commented
            Editing a comment
            20 gallon-ish

I have 4 of these that I planted as bare roots about the size of pencils in the spring of 2016 in ground here in western Louisiana (native soil pH is 5.7, planted a holes with mix of native soil, peat moss and pine bark, I try to add some acidifier and mulch each year along with local commercial blueberry fertilizer mix), they now range between 4 to 6 feet in height.

Comment

Purchased two Pink Lemonade blueberry plants this weekend. There in 4"×9" pots. I plan on growing these in pots. So, we'll see how well they grow and if they flower.
            Zone 8B Lockhart, Texas - WL- Thermalito, I258, CDDN, Azores Black, CDD Gegantina, Cherry Cordial,Texas Peach

Comment

I have 3 different 5-yr old blueberry plants. To turn things around this is what you need to do: Apply ammonium sulfate and a little potassium sulfate (NOT chloride). NO nitrate fertilizer!!!
              Oregon City, OR (Zone 8b) by Portland.

Comment

• TahomaGuy2
                TahomaGuy2 commented
                Editing a comment
                A little dabble do ya! More is not necessarily better. If still a bummer, try a Chandler with it's HUGE berries.

Please share the NPK for ammonium phosphate and potassium sulfate. Suggested dosage rate and frequency?
              Johnson1
              Zone 9b
              S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

I have a 4 year old Pink lemonade. It's a very delicious berry, one of my favorites among blueberries. But it has been a very slow grower and finicky for me. Not very productive and some years not producing any berries.
                Romeo
                Zone 6B. Lehigh Valley, PA

Comment

Pink blueberries are my favorite. I've got 5-6 plants and they give me a couple gallons worth per plant every year. I would guess, though that maybe they need to grow a little bit more? I know mine are huge (~6ft), much bigger than my other blueberries, so perhaps they need to attain something near that size before producing?

Comment

My Pink Lemonade blueberry took 4 years to become 3 1/2 feet tall from a 6 inch plant I purchased. It did not set fruit until this last year. It took a couple of years longer than the rest to begin holding fruit. It grows fast for me, but it will take me a few more years to get any decent amount of fruit.
                    York, PA

Comment

My pink lemonade is also finickier than my other blueberries, but that was due to my neglect one year. I have 3 different varieties, all grown in the 25g Costco pots. The others have produced very well. I am expecting this one to this coming year, but I guess we will see
                      Emily - Zone 9b, Palo Alto, SF Bay Area, CA (closer to San Jose than SF); 100% Container gardening
                      WL - RGR, Strawberry Verte, Raspberry Latte, anything with peach undertones

Comment

Cross pollination could be an issue. I had read (below) that Pink lemonade will only do well with grown alongside certain cultivars. I have two that produce for me, albiet no where near as much as standard blueberries.

'If one investigates the pedigree of Pink Lemonade®, one quickly realises that even in their 'veins' a certain part of Rabbiteye blood flows. The background of Rabbiteye blueberries makes Buddy Blue the perfect mate for Pink Lemonade®. Our trials in recent years have shown that Pink Lemonade® bears fruit alone, but that the yield is left to be desired. Planting another genetically related blueberry next to it works wonders. The latest blueberry variety Buddy Blue, which belongs to the so-called Rabbiteye group of blueberries, has shown the best results.'
                        WL La Radek BT, Improved Celeste, Florea

Comment

John Deere ate them after 5 years.....not productive at all. Single handful from two 6 foot bushes per year. Replaced with fig trees. I get 3-4 pints from Blue bushes same age and location. Add to no buy list with Brazelberries and other designer fruit plants.......pretty but very little fruit. Old standards grow great and make good amount of fruit plus dirt cheap.

Comment

• TahomaGuy2
                            TahomaGuy2 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, but at least the name is cute! hehehe... Doesn't THAT count for anything?!?

• jmrtsus
                            jmrtsus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            True!

My Blueberry row is made up of Tifblu, Climax, Sweet Crisp, Ka-bluey, and three unknown Rabbiteyes, plus Pink Lemonade. Most of my BB trees are 5 or more years old. Pink Lemonade bears but not like the Tifblu and Climax. Cross pollination is happening!

Comment

Working...
                          X