X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Blackberry Flower

I know it is not a blueberry, but I had to post this. This blackberry flower is from a new variety that I just got last spring - Osage. Most of all my other blackberry plants produce a white flower, this was a gorgeous white/purple flower. Hopefully this variety tastes as good as its flower looks
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Glad to see someone else pumped about blackberry season ! That is really neat for it to have such a unique flower color, where did you get that variety from?

Heres a picture just now from my pasture, the little white dots are all of the flowers. The blackberry season looks really good this year and I hope yalls is too

Wish List : Cold Hardy/Prolific bearers - Letizia , Florea, G. Paradiso, Lattarula, any Sals varieties, Negronne, Navid's Unk. Dark Greek, Bass' Fav.

Comment

Are those wild blackberries in your pasture or ones you've planted?

Last year, my local mockingbird flew onto my back porch with a fat blackberry in his mouth. He normally hangs out on my fence chasing squirrels and whistling loudly from 6am. My Arapaho hadn't produced any berries yet, so I went out behind my fence to investigate. There were wild berries everywhere. The vines are thorny as can be, but the fruit tasted really good. I just came from that area today and it is filled with white flowers again

I planted some Triple Crown last summer, so hopefully I'll get a taste of that eventually. Not too many freezing hours this year, so I'm not expecting much.
      Houston, TX Zone 9a

Comment

• paracletefarms
        paracletefarms commented
        Editing a comment
        They are wild, the patch has been on the property since I was a kid, oddly enough (bought the property next to my grandparents). The berries typically are about the size of a quarter or less, but for zero work or upkeep they are just fine. I saw the youtube guy "TxPrepper" and his blackberry operation and that makes me want to put in a bunch of blackberries in the future, haha. I bought 5 apache thornless a few weeks back, but my grandparents talked me out of them.

Keep us updated on how the Triple Crown turn out. Where did you find those by the way? !

I heard Prime Ark/Prime something??? and some new ones that bear on the same years growth as well as the 2nd year growth, were supposed to be good for our climate.

• Visceral
        Visceral commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree...zero work or upkeep is the way to go with those wild berries! But, after seeing pics of the TC and how big they get, I bought 2 from Bob Wells Nursery in Lindale, TX.

Yes, from what I've read the Prime Ark Freedom and Prime Ark Travelers are supposed to have 2 crops.

I'd like to see pics of your wild berries later on once they get going. I will snap some pics of the wild ones I've got once I get brave enough to wade into the thorns (and poison ivy)

• paracletefarms
        paracletefarms commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do on the photos. You are definitely right about the poison Ivy.. I'm pretty much immune to it now, but I stay on top of washing my hands/arms once every 15 minutes to get the oils off and am extra careful where I put my clothes/handling them after so it rarely gets me. I do however use a golf club pole to push/pin the vines out of the way while harvesting as to not tempt fate, haha.

The wild blackberries around here and not very good. The wild black raspberries are extremely good! My favorite types of blackberries are the Western trailing types like Marion, and Boysenberry. I have to work to grow them here though. I need to protect them in the winter. Also Newberry is very tasty. I don't grow Osage. although have heard is a pretty good tasting berry. The key is to leave them get ripe. They need to be a dull black, not shiny. The biggest berry I grow is Natchez which is OK, but not great tasting. It is very good though cooked in cobbler's, scones, etc. Here is a photo of Natchez with some of my Chandler Blueberries.

Comment

• Inkfin
        Inkfin commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrew, nice berries. Did you already harvest blueberries this year?

• drew51
        drew51 commented
        Editing a comment
        No, all from last year. I'm in MI zone 5b. I have months before any harvest. All my blackberry plants look good. Protection again worked and I expect a large harvest. Here are some wyeberries.
        http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...hoto/035_1.jpg

I just brought a blackberry plant from ebay seller helloorganic, the variety is call SWEETIE PIE, from the description, it sounds very nice, we'll see.

Comment

First time having floricanes on my blackberries. Kiowa just started blooming in zone 8B here but still waiting for Osage, Ouachita, Arapaho, Natchez and Triple Crown to bloom. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0882.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	79607
        Zone 8B, Texas

Comment

• drew51
          drew51 commented
          Editing a comment
          Triple Crown is a beast. Decent berry though.

I got my Osage from a local grower. I grow Osage, Prime Ark Freedom, Kiowa, Natchez, Ouachita and a native blackberry that grows like a beast but doesn't taste that great. I really hope Prime Ark Freedom tastes good, because if it does, it is a winner - it is super vigorous and it has a ton of flowers on it right now.

Comment

I grow about 20 cultivars, I still have blackberries from last year frozen. Here is Chester from last year. I'm still almost 2 months away from bloom.

I grow many brambles and strawberries too. I usually have enough to last all winter.

Some of the most unusual brambles I grow are Burbank's White blackberry, Nettleton's Creamy white blackberry. And a wild yellow black raspberry. Most yellows are sports from red raspberries, this is a mutation from a black raspberry.
          Last edited by drew51; 03-31-2016, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Impressive Andrew !! What would you say is your best tasting variety? Most productive? Those fruits are making my mouth water
            Wish List : Cold Hardy/Prolific bearers - Letizia , Florea, G. Paradiso, Lattarula, any Sals varieties, Negronne, Navid's Unk. Dark Greek, Bass' Fav.

Comment

Originally posted by paracletefarms View Post
              Impressive Andrew !! What would you say is your best tasting variety? Most productive? Those fruits are making my mouth water
              I wish most were both! It seems never to be the case. Very productive: Natchez, Triple Crown, and Chester. With many yet to grow a few seasons to evaluate are needed. By far the best tasting is Marionberry. Nothing comes close. But I have to grow in a container and put it with the figs in the garage. It is not that hardy in zone 6. In 7b/8 it would be perfect. It is not super productive. Still a winner. I love raspberries, so I really like Tayberries because they taste more like raspberries. tart, but good!
              I'm trying many others that are still rather young. Columbia Star is cool because it is thornless, and trailing, appears very productive, yet still young. I could use more time to evaluate. Trailing works well for me because they are easy to protect in colder zones. I can wind canes in circles and place on the ground and bury in leaves. Upright are a lot easier to manage, but in my zone more susceptible to cold damage. I have found wilt stop does give them more protection and I have been using it. This year all my uprights survived, since using it, I have not lost many canes.
              Newberry looks promising too for taste and production but is thorny and trailing. I still need a few year to evaluate many others I have.
              Boysenberry is pretty good too, the thorny trailing one. I never tried the thornless. Navaho I need more time. Appears to be a good upright., but again Marion seems to be in a class by itself.
              Taste is subjective. I like best Marion, Tayberry, Boysenberry. Triple Crown, and Navaho can be fairly good. Newberry and Columbia Star too.
              Siskiyou is supposed to be excellent too, mine is young. I also like Wyeberries, but these are almost impossible to find.
              The Prime Ark Freedom and others may be decent. I don't have any primocane fruiting blackberries at this time.

Comment

• cis4elk
                cis4elk commented
                Editing a comment
                "By far the best tasting is Marionberry. Nothing comes close. But I have to grow in a container and put it with the figs in the garage. It is not that hardy in zone 6. In 7b/8 it would be perfect"

Curious, have you specifically tried Marion Berry in the ground with laying it down and covering for winter similar to how you described above?

• drew51
                drew51 commented
                Editing a comment
                I tip rooted a new plant and put it in the ground this spring. So see how it does covered next winter. I'll have the container plant as backup. I lost a cane in the garage even. Only 2 canes are left. It's rather not hardy! Still the ground may be better. It was not covered in the container. Also it was a young cutting last spring, the plant is not old. It may do better once established. I don't expect a lot of berries maybe 30 or so. Still 30 berries of the best is better than no berries of the best.
                Last edited by drew51; 04-08-2016, 06:01 PM.

Andrew, how many of your brambles are going to be available to get starts from this year? Wink....wink.
              Garden Pics
              http://s117.photobucket.com/user/the...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Thepodpiper View Post
                Andrew, how many of your brambles are going to be available to get starts from this year? Wink....wink.
                LOL, Whatever you need brother! Cuttings or tip rooted, whatever you need. Also thanks for the pruning advice, I did what you said. Blueberries too!
                All the tip rooted plants I kept I traded out this year from last fall. Amazing! I threw about 12 away! I should have kept more!

Before the blackberries come the strawberries! Looking forward to this year's crop. Some from last year.

Pineberries are to die for!

Got raspberries???
                Last edited by drew51; 04-04-2016, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter Andrew! Haha. Those berries look great.

Are the white strawberries of the Alpine variety ? Do the lighter colors help fool the birds?

Comment

Originally posted by paracletefarms View Post
                    I would like to subscribe to your newsletter Andrew! Haha. Those berries look great.

Are the white strawberries of the Alpine variety ? Do the lighter colors help fool the birds?
                    LOL! Yes birds like the reds! No those are pineberries. They are a hybrid. Notice the coloring is reversed. The seeds are red, and the flesh is white! They taste like pineapple, followed by a strawberry taste. The most complex flavor of any strawberry I have had.
                    Here is a photo that shows size in perspective to my hand. Oh in the small container in one photo are yellow alpines, yes, maybe you were referring to them? The container on the plate. It has besides alpines, two musk strawberries in it too.

Ever heard of Musk Strawberries? They taste like alpines sort of, but much stronger tasting. They are harder to grow, small, but bigger than alpines. They require a male plant to pollinate. Few are perfect, but I did find one! They have red seeds, and are a deep red that looks somewhat metallic. The interiors are white. I made a jam with them, and it tastes kinda perfumy, it took a few samples, but I began to like it. I may stop growing these. Not productive, require a male. Unlike other strawberries though the plant will produce for 20 years. Besides alpine, all others become unproductive after 5 years or less.
                    Last edited by drew51; 04-08-2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X