Clear All

Figwasp

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/bluebe...ng-cucuzzi-101
    Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Figwasp
      Figwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Jeez. Now I have to try and grow it this year. I just put in an order.

We love cherry tomatoes on salads. This year I am trying new Copper Beauty and Flaming Burst cherry tomatoes ; I picked up the seeds from Danny on FigBid. I have also started Chocolate Cherry and third generation saved seeds from a volunteer orange-red cherry with a darker top, I think an original parent was Midnight Snack - very productive and great flavor. I will pick up a Sun Gold or Sun Sugar from a local greenhouse.

I also have Roma for sauce and preserving. I also have huge Portuguese heirloom ox heart type, original tomato plants were from Big Bill, passed out at Bass’s gathering a few years ago.

comments on some types mentioned earlier in this thread-I tried Sun Sugar last year, seemed indistinguishable from Sun Gold.
    I tried the Sunrise Bumble Bee and got a few tasty tomatoes from it but a lot were bland, maybe it was hard for me to tell when they are optimally ripe.

I’m looking for suggestions on an early tomato to replace Early Girl for next year, and advice on a sauce tomato other than standard Roma, that will do well in my area.
    Ed
    SW PA zone 6a

Comment

• Figwasp
      Figwasp commented
      Editing a comment
      For Sunrise Bumblebee I thought that maybe it turns color before it gets ripe so it was tricking me, so I started waiting longer. They did turn redder over time, but I still didn't think the flavor was great, and I hated that I had to wait as long as my beefsteak for a cherry to ripen. All in all, I'm done with it. Will never grow again.

• emik
      emik commented
      Editing a comment
      I have started (fairly unsuccessfully) many different types of paste tomatoes this year. I haven't given up yet though! Hopefully, by the end of the season, I will have lots of good information. I am not growing typical Roma/San Marzano, but others that had good reviews.

I find your experience with Sun Sugar confirming. I had read they are almost identical to Sun Gold, but was strenuously corrected by someone on a gardening forum. I broke down and bought one so I could compare side-by-side I love Sungold, so have a ton of those types of tomatoes won't be a problem

• ginamcd
      ginamcd commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you looking for dry, sweet pastes or something juicier and richer? If dry, go for anything in the San Marzano family (there are many named ones which may or may not be synonyms). Or try Vuoti from our cucuzza growing friend to the north.

If you like ones that would be almost as good in a salad as they would be in sauce, something like an Opalka or Jersey Devil.

Some find these "prone" to blossom end rot, but if you're diligent with watering and fertilizing it's not an issue.

I am growing tomatoes in Dutch buckets as part of my aquaponics system. I am growing black cherry (a cherry type tomato with a black krim flavor), along with mortgage lifter. The ML seeds were picked up on figbid. Plants are averaging 6" tall now, so no blooms yet.
    Orlando, FL Zone 9b.
    Wishlist - finding patience with cuttings and cosme manyo, but not necessarily in that order

Comment

Figwasp - not all cucuzzi are created equal 😉

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/bluebe...-cucuzza-bella
      Guildwood Village - Toronto, Canada - Zone 6

Comment

• Figwasp
        Figwasp commented
        Editing a comment
        I ordered this one https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vege...a-edible-gourd -- if you think yours is better than this, send me the seeds and I will be happy to grow them side by side. I love science.

• DrDraconian
        DrDraconian commented
        Editing a comment
        Figwasp

From what I've seen on the net, there is no growing side by side when it comes to Cucazza. A single vine will take over half your yard. If you have a spare football field laying around nearby, feel free to experiment

Note: on second thought, you may need one of those oversized football fields they use in Canada if you try to grow Joe's version

• TorontoJoe
        TorontoJoe commented
        Editing a comment
        My vines at peak summer can grow 30cm or more a day. I grow two plants which grow more fruit than all my family, friends and neighbours can eat... Never mind the tenerumi.... So tasty!

This plant is like something out of a science fiction film.

If you grow this plant and you're patient.... you can touch a tendril... wait long enough and you can watch it grab your finger... It's pretty cool... Just be careful or this Sicilian will move into your other plants territory and strangle them out.

I used to try out more varieties each year, but now I'm down to a handful of tried and true varieties and just one or two new ones. This year it is...

Tried and True:
      Rebel Yell
      Green Giant
      Celebrity

Grown once before and were great:
      Captain Lucky
      Aunt Ginny's Purple

New to me:
      Sweet Ozark Orange
      Margaret Curtain
      Mark -- living in the CA banana belt, growing bananas, figs, and most any fruit I can fit in my small, crowded yard.
      Wish List: Roeding #3 caprifig, Angelito

Comment

• BigVanVader
        BigVanVader commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice varieties. I grew hundreds of varieties per year for a decade and your choices are pretty close to mine.

This year, I'm trying Red Fig...yes, there is overlap! Also growing Kumato, Black Krim, Indigo Rose, and Gardeners Delight.
      Susie - Santa Cruz (Central Coast California) I've been told the property is "Mostly Zone 9 with several microclimates"

Comment

This year I decided to change it up. Let the battle of Cherry tomatoes begin (although not fair given they have different growing conditions).
        • Most of my family grab handfuls of cherry tomatoes from Costco and scarf them down (myself included), so decided to go with 5 cherry tomato plants.
        • I usually do in ground but we are doing yard renovations this year and can't commit too much space.

(2) 15g Sungolds
        (1) 15g Sweet 100
        (1) 7g Chika Cherry (Japanese variety)
        (1) In ground Candyland Cherry

Jaime - Orange County, CA 10a (coastal) Wishlist: To taste everything I have now so I can begin culling

Comment

Growing several heirlooms with dark flesh.

So far I'd only recommend Indian Zebra. It seems nearly impossible to "not start" and impossible to kill given the exact same circumstances as the rest.
          Last edited by Chonas; 04-16-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

I have some Atomic Grape and Crazy Cherry that I started in May. I have some hybrids that are in my side bed and have continued growing even through a freeze. We are also doing a grow out of Dr. Wyche's Yellow Tomatoes and Tappy's Heritage. These require 50 foot isolation from other regular-leaf varieties to keep the seed pure. So, I will be limited to potato-leaf in my side garden and keeping the ones I have started as far away as possible. I have a ton of old heirloom seeds that may or may not germinate, if anyone is interested. I probably have over 50 varieties, but again, they are pretty old (2009-2010). PM if interested. I can send the whole batch or if someone in So Cal wants it, we can meet up. I'd rather not piece it out because of time constraints. If you are interested in experimenting and seeing what can be germinated/saved, they are some cool varieties. I listed them all below. I won't even charge shipping if you want to try to get something out of them.

Here are some of them:

Cherry Type:
            White Currant
            Furry Yellow Hog
            Mule Team
            SubArctic Cherry
            Black Cherry
            Yellow Pear
            Green Pineapple
            Green Grape
            Red Pear
            Yellow Cherry
            George Curtis Spoon
            Mexico Midget
            White Tomesol
            Coyote
            Arbuznyi
            MilleFleur
            Csereznyealaku
            Isis Candy
            Vecchio? Cherry
            Bulgrarian Carrot
            Large Red

Regular Size:
            Pink Accordion
            Pink Honey
            Dr. Carolyn
            Black Maur
            Principe Borghese
            Jaloio?
            Sioux
            Ananas Noire
            Cherokee Purple
            Orange Heart
            Frank's Large Red
            Litchi
            Erliana
            TN Surprise
            Green Cherokee
            Carbon
            Black Seaman
            Midday Sun
            Douce de Picardi
            Big White Pink Stripes
            Chocolate Stripes
            Chili Verde
            Mary Robinsons German Bi-Color
            Belize Pink Heart
            Reisetomate (x 2)
            Riesentrauban
            Green Moldovan
            Morado
            Black from Tula
            Native Sun
            White Zebra
            Aunt Rubys German Green
            Orange Fleshed Purple Smudge
            Great White
            Atkinson
            Orange Banana
            Aker's West Virginia
            Chocolate Stripes
            Barlow JAP
            Trifele?
            Burpee Longkeeper

Thanks,
            Rachel

Comment

I finally setup some shop lights, so I'm back in the tomato-from-seed game this year.

Oldie but goodie: Green Zebra. Consistently performs great and I love the look and flavor.

The rest are new for this year. My only space is 6 or 7 hours sun, no sun till noon, and heavily (over)watered via overhead sprinklers .

I tried to focus on early and cool-weather varieties in hopes they'll manage the situation: Blush, Nova, Legend, and Katana (all from Territorial Seeds, also new to me this year).
              New Hampshire: z5b/6a. WL: DTE, Iranian Candy

Comment

• ginamcd
                ginamcd commented
                Editing a comment
                Next year try some of the Dwarf varieties in five gallon pots if you can put them where they get more sun and don't get hit by the sprinklers. They were bred for situations like yours where in ground growing conditions or lack of space are problems. Plus overhead watering invites all kind of fungal issues.

• batty
                batty commented
                Editing a comment
                ginamcd trust me I've debated blocking those sprinklers somehow! I'm also embracing the fungus part of it this year - giving in and growing oyster mushrooms.

I did debate a patio tomato this year too, but after a bunch of peppers were stolen off my patio last year, the space is relegated to un-popular foods only: okra and eggplant! Oh and figs, but normal people don't recognize those as food right? 🤔

Every year I seem to be growing more of the wild boar farms varieties. They’re just so spectacular looking that they are hard to beat. Brads atomic grape is a total winner. My go to every year are sun gold, sweet 100/sweet millions, yellow pear, Berkeley tie dye, early girl, big beef and Brads atomic cherry. I’m trialing lucid Jem, black beauty, pineapple pig, Barry’s crazy cherry, pork chop, blue bumblebee, and 5 or 6 other wild boar farms varieties this year. I’ve grown a dozen of his varieties over the years and I’ve never been disappointed. I tend to get them confused because he’s always coming out with new ones. I built a simple trellis and started single steaming them up a hemp twine a few years ago and it’s great because I can plant a tomato every 9 inches and get way more varieties and I can still walk into my yard at the end of summer. Before the trellis I would start them in cages then tie them to bamboo stakes and they would get ten feet tall in every direction. I couldn’t even reach the fruit.now I just grow my cherry tomatoes and tomatillos in cages with bamboo and single stem up a string for regular tomatoes. They get ripe from the bottom up
              and you can just lower the string when they hit the top.I tried hemp twine after the green garden twine failed and it’s going on it’s 4th summer with no signs of damage. Really impressive stuff. If anyone is in the Sonoma area and wants some tomato and tomatillo volunteers, hit me up. I have a bunch. I’m growing some myself. It’ll be really interesting to see what I get.

Comment

• venturabananas
                venturabananas commented
                Editing a comment
                I will reduce your crop per plant, emik . But not per square foot of growing space, because you can cram more plants in.

I always start with good intentions of single stemming, but after doing it for the first couple of feet, I inevitably stop. For better or worse.

• emik
                emik commented
                Editing a comment
                venturabananas thank you! That is good to know now, before I plant in the garden! I am trying a trellis with strings/hooks that can be moved if the vine outgrows the height of the trellis. I was planning to give more space per plant (18 inches x 18 inches), but maybe should stick with the 1/sq ft. I have a few extra plants so could make that work. I haven't figured out what to do about my paste tomatoes, but may just use 2 strings for each of them (I've never grown paste tomatoes so am not really sure what to expect from them).

• venturabananas
                venturabananas commented
                Editing a comment
                For my climate, keeping up adequate airflow is crucial to avoid fungus meltdown, so pruning and adequately spacing is key.

Originally posted by HopeGrowsGardens View Post
              We are also doing a grow out of Dr. Wyche's Yellow Tomatoes and Tappy's Heritage. These require 50 foot isolation from other regular-leaf varieties to keep the seed pure. So, I will be limited to potato-leaf in my side garden and keeping the ones I have started as far away as possible.
              Hey Rachel, have you tried using Organza bags to protect the purity of the tomato varieties that you intend to save seeds from, this might be another solution to growing the toms far away from the others

The Spree Forest
              7a/b

Comment

• HopeGrowsGardens
                HopeGrowsGardens commented
                Editing a comment
                That is a great idea. I had those a long time ago to protect the fruit from birds. I will have to see if it is cost effective. There will be about 500 plants, so it might not be as easy to use them.

• feigenverliebt
                feigenverliebt commented
                Editing a comment
                That´s what I did for some of the flower clusters and tied a red-coloured string around the flower cluster that has been protected by the organza bag so that I will know to only save seeds from that coloured string.

I grew over 150 varieties and almost 400 plants last year and only protected some of the varieties that I really wanted to keep ´untainted´.... so 500 plants might be a challenge, unless you are only protecting a flower cluster or 2 from each variety.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 6 photos.

Comment

• TNJed
                TNJed commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! Looks great!

This year I am experimenting with rooting suckers/side shoot I cut from my tomato transplants. So far so good. I have very limited space, so I am only growing-
              San Marzano, Sweet 100, Juliette, Black Krim, Kellog's Breakfast, and my on-trial-this-year: Lucid Gem.
              I hope that rooting the side shoots will give me a longer harvest period, as the cuttings should produce 'younger' plants.
              9b, Sunset Zone 16, Hills above Castro Valley, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area). Container culture due to space and gophers. Happy to find this forum! Wishlist: Black Ischia.

Comment

• eboone
                eboone commented
                Editing a comment
                That absolutely works even in my shorter growing season.

• emik
                emik commented
                Editing a comment
                I am going to try this as well. I will be pruning all suckers as I try to use the string/single-stem method. I am very curious to see how it turns out!

Something to look forward to.
              You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 9 photos.

Comment

• emik
                emik commented
                Editing a comment
                Holy moly that is a lot of tomatoes! Where are you located that you are already getting ripe ones? Are you in FL?

• Bellefleurs
                Bellefleurs commented
                Editing a comment
                What a beautiful and inspiring sight!!

• SaltydogNC
                SaltydogNC commented
                Editing a comment
                Those are beautiful. Love the variety.

I just put up some photos from last year to get us excited for what’s coming. I’m in Sonoma calif, 9b. No ripe tomatoes yet. I have 3 4x8’ beds that I grow tomatoes in for my families restaurant and I can pretty reliably pick about that much every 2 weeks. I’m starting to get worried about planting tomatoes in the same bed every year. Has any one had any problems? I added some manure and worm castings to top off the beds but other than that I’ll be going on my 5th summer growing tomatoes in the same soil. I know they tell you to rotate, I hope it doesn’t come back to bite me.

Comment

I don't like tomatoes but I always dedicate a large part of my small garden to grow some for my mom. This year the ones I went with were:

Cherokee Purple - I'm sure most would be familiar with this popular heirloom variety. A maroon beefsteak with green shoulders.

Dancing with Smurfs - a "blue" cherry tomato. The fruit get nice and black with direct sun, stay red where shaded.

Japanese Black Trifele - pear shaped "black"(more of a brown) with potato leaves

Black Prince - basically a round, regular leaf
                JBT. I think I've grown this one annually since I started growing tomatoes, it's been the most productive for me.

Indigo Rose - DWS' popular sister. Most of my plants are started from seed, this one was an impulse purchase.

Hawaiian Pineapple - not to be confused with 'Pineapple'. A striped red/orange beefsteak. I haven't had luck with this one in the past because of too much shade, this year I have it in an area where it gets more sun than the rest, so hopefully my mom gets to finally try it.

Super Sweet 100 Hybrid - also kind of an impulse buy. When I seen the pic on the seed packet of a long bunch of hundreds of red cherry tomatoes I couldn't resist giving them a try.

Beefsteak - just "Beefsteak", from a 25 cent packet I bought at a dollar store 5+ years ago.

Isis Candy - I started these a lot later than the rest and still have them indoors so I forgot to mention these. Red/orange bicolor cherry tomatoes, supposedly as sweet as candy. We shall see.
                Last edited by Mando408; 05-04-2021, 03:08 PM.
                San Jose CA, Zone 9b

Comment

• emik
                  emik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm growing HP this year too! First time for me, so am glad to get your feedback to find the sunniest part of the garden Mine will go into the raised beds this week

• Tom
                  Tom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Similar situation, I don't like tomatoes but grow them for my wife and family. For whatever reason I really enjoy growing them and researching different varieties. Unfortunately I can't stand the taste of a raw tomato, I've continued to try because I really want to like them but no luck

Finally got my tomatoes in today—late! I’ve greatly cut it down this year though, so I’m only growing Black Cherry, Igleheart Yellow Cherry, Stupice, & Gold Medal. I don’t have any tried and true favorites, I try something different every year because there are SO MANY good sounding ones
                Southern California ☀️ Zone 9a
                Figgy
                wishlist: Creme di Fragola, Beltrana, Boysenberry Blush, Raspberry Tart, Texas Peach, tasty California finds, any variety not yet in my collection that tastes excellent

Comment

One that has not been mentioned that I liked a lot last year was Black Icicle. Great flavor and very productive.

Comment

Here's some greaat info on the Klee Lab in Florida. New varieties and seeds ARE available

https://hos.ifas.ufl.edu/kleelab/new-garden-cultivars/

Zone 9B; NorCal, Fair Play, CA
                    I can also be found in San Jose and Rocklin and occasionally in Santa Cruz (hometown). Wish List: Can't we all just get along?

Comment

Charles I'm growing several of the University of FL tomatoes that I started this winter indoors.

Tomatoes are L to R: Black Beauty, Pink Brandywine, Garden Gem (UoF), Garden Treasure UoF), and Hybrid W (UoF), and just off frame is Boar Blue Berries.
                      All of these survived a 28 degree night under Agribon row cover. I see no damage and no stunting. Hopefully the fruit won't have issues. They are in bloom now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tomatoes.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	983344

John - NC/SC Border Near Lake Wylie, Cusp of Zone 7B/8A

Comment

• Charles
                        Charles commented
                        Editing a comment
                        SaltydogNC It's nice to see someone else growing the Klee Lab seed. Man your plants are huge already!! Great job. I'm growing W for the first time this year. I also noticed that the Klee lab now has new "improve" Garden Gem and Garden Treasure. Guess I'll have to try those next year. I donate to them each year.

They were supposed to do a "Citizen's Initiative Program" where they were asking people to record data on the growth of their plants but I have not heard from them again..I guess they decided not to move forward with the program.

Oh and welcome to Ourfigs!!

Charles I planted the tomatoes outside on March 13 as a gamble. That's extremely early for the North Carolina piedmont. I thought we might be warmer than normal, but I was spectacularly wrong. It's been record-setting cool this spring. Early on, I had everything under row cover, but I took all the metal hoops down, put away the row cover, set the tomato cages, setup my bamboo supports, etc. Then they predicted the 31 degree night that turned out to be a 28 degree night. I had to take all of the cages off, pull down the bamboo and put all the row cover back up. Two days later, I got to go through everything again...setting everything back up and putting away the row covers. LOL It was insane. But I hope I'll have tomatoes early. It's been awesome to get snow peas, sweet peas, summer squash, lettuce, beets, carrots, etc. with almost zero insect pressure.

Thanks for the welcome. BTW, if anyone happens to see the dead leaves behind the picket fence, that is where a maple tree used to live. I cut it down to make way for dwarf apple trees and figs this fall. I stuck a few dead maple limbs into the ground as placeholders to visually verify the apple tree spacing. :-)
                      John - NC/SC Border Near Lake Wylie, Cusp of Zone 7B/8A

Comment

I haven’t had great luck growing tomatoes in the past because it gets hot and the blooms won’t set.
                        this year I planted early and the plants look great.
                        Besides the usual beefsteak types I’m growing Fantasia, Hillbilly and super sweet 100. The super sweets are already ripening and are amazing.
                        Piney Point Village, Zone 8b
                        W/L-Martenica Rimada, White Madeira

Comment

I have 12 varieties planted this year for a total of 48 plants. The rain this spring has reaked havoc this spring. Besides the regular downpours we also had flash flood. Garden was under a foot of water for a few hours but everything survived. Tomatoes are thriving now.
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.
                          Zone 8B, MS
                          WL: CDDB, CDDN, JH Adriatic, White Madeira, Scott’s Black, LSU Tiger

Comment

Ours are all getting a late start unfortunately. We started them too late.

yellow brandy wine
                          pink brandy wine
                          cherokee purple
                          italian ice
                          standard cherry
                          green zebra
                          purple roma
                          copper beauty
                          and maybe one or two others.
                          Oregon, Z 8b. No YouTube channel. Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. Just enjoying the hobby.
                          WL: paillettes à licorne, more land, stay humble, sell some art to make more room.

Comment

Working...
                          X