X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonel Littman's Black Cross 2016

Man, this is turning out to be a special fig!
    And as a bonus feature, "Colonel Littman originally got his starts from Mr. Cross in Tallahassee Florida,"
    It is quite similar to Ischia Black in many aspects (leaves, fruit shape, color, taste and time of ripening. Hey, might as well throw more confusion into the fig id game. LOL.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 9 photos.
    Frank Tallahasee 8B
    North Florida Figs

Wow! That is nice!
    Ryan- CenLa, zone 8a/b

Comment

Yessir, I have always thought that fig looked like a good one. Is it a mid-late ripener for you Frank?
      Calvin, Wish list is to finish working on the new house, someday.
      Bored? Grab a rake, paint roller, or a cordless drill and come over!

Comment

• FMD
        FMD commented
        Editing a comment
        First week of August...probably mid ripening, Calvin.

It's nice to finally see fruit from this one. Thanks for posting!
      Frank ~ zone 7a VA

Comment

Looks incredible. Can't wait to see more of this one!
        Zone 7A - Philadelphia
        Flavor Profiles & Variety List / Facebook / YouTube / Blog

Comment

I wish you wouldn't make me want another one! Man that looke great Frank. You have a way of twisting my wrist.
          Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

• Harborseal
            Harborseal commented
            Editing a comment
            Better than cutting off your finger!

Hey Hershell, got to get the word out on this one, especially for a locally discovered fig.
          Last edited by FMD; 08-05-2016, 10:35 PM.
          Frank Tallahasee 8B
          North Florida Figs

Comment

Yes Frank this is an excellent fig. Was fortunate to taste a few last year.
            newnandawg 7b Newnan, GA

Comment

I had forgot about that one but I have more than I can care for at the time. One day though! One day! It does look like a great local Italian fig.
              Nothing in the world takes the place of growing citrus till figs come along. Ray City, Ga. Zone 8 b.

Comment

Is this the one that JF&E used to carry? If so I knew I should have gotten one!!

What a beauty!!!
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

• ross
                  ross commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Used to?

• COGardener
                  COGardener commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It is not currantly on their website. Additionally, I thought I recalled someone saying that they discontinued it.

Sorry Ross, I missed it. Yet I don't recall seeing it in stock during their shipping season.

http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/...ack-cross-fig/
                Scott - Colorado Springs, CO - Zone 4/5 (Depending on the year) - Elevation 6266ft

“Though the problems of the world are increasingly complex, the solutions remain embarrassingly simple.” – Bill Mollison

Comment

This is a very interesting fig, I am not sure you will see it for sale from Just fruits again. I don't recall where I heard or read but I think recall hearing who bought the Mother tree from them. I really don't want to throw the name out there as I can't recall my source, but if anyone else does post what they recall or contact me privately.

I know many folks of this forum like to support each other. I know there is already a benefit for Brain Melton courtesy of Hershell, but I would like to start one for an airlayer of this fig. After I get back inside after picking fig and starting that airlayer. Will be for U.S. only and hoping It's not to late for my layer to take, but thinking I might know someone who might back me up on starting one. So unless I hear different I will offering up a benefit auction for Colonel Littman's Black Cross later today

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...oss-and-others
                  Last edited by strudeldog; 08-07-2016, 09:11 AM.
                  Phil North Georgia Zone 7 Looking for: All of them, and on and on,

Comment

• 71GTO
                    71GTO commented
                    Editing a comment
                    There was a guy on f4f for a short time from New York who accumulated a lot of high end figs. He was a bit eccentric... He apparently drove to Florida and bought the mother tree for a very large sum. Then killed all the trees through one mishap or another and disappeared. He may have given some survivors away. I don't know what happened to this one. I would have thought JF and e would keep a tree to regrow.
                    Last edited by 71GTO; 08-07-2016, 09:43 AM.

• newnandawg
                    newnandawg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I will😀

• strudeldog
                    strudeldog commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Mike

Wow Frank! Thank you to post tis! Look belle! If you ever get to a cutting or rooted plant point I will love to buy one from you !
                  You Amico have BELLE collection !
                  Zone 5 Chicago IL Wish list:
                  1) Rest peacfully Amico Bello Buddy 👼🏼.
                  2) This weeks ebay auctions.

Comment

I had you confused with Frank Bennett. Sorry about that.
                    Last edited by Netstars; 05-05-2019, 09:43 PM.
                    Zone 8B - Cottage Grove, Or
                    Wish List - Crema di Wheat

Comment

Here's the latest news on this fig.
                      A few months ago, JD (a past active member of the fig forums and a fellow fig grower here in Tallahassee) emailed me asking if he could put me in contact with one of the new JF owners, Jamake R. They want to re-introduce CLBC into their catalog. JD didn't have a specimen but he knew I did.
                      After multiple missed appointments, we finally met. I gave him a tour of my orchard sampling loquats, kumquats and mulberries on the fly. A huge smile crossed his lips when we got to the venerable CL mother tree.
                      Before he left I presented him with a live specimen. He said he would use all the professional tricks at his disposal to get this baby going. He said that there was a period during the time of Brandy's ownership, that many of the figs became mislabeled. He has a large plant he believes is a CL but was not willing to label it as such until he got confirmation...thus the reason for needing a true CL for comparison. He will wait until the tree fruits before re-introducing it.
                      Jamake is a terrific young man, who is not only incredibly knowledgeable but also a total plant nut, like a lot of us. I was happy to see that the new owners of JF will carry on where Brandy left off.
                      Frank Tallahasee 8B
                      North Florida Figs

Comment

• Mateo Milmo
                        Mateo Milmo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Frank, could you share a couple of cuttings with me the next dormant season?

• drew51
                        drew51 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Frank for the update. I'm in the same boat as JF&E. I have a tree from them that was supposed to be BM, but I think it is CLBC? It's certainly not BM! No way can I tell until I have another confirmed CLBC. It's a huge thing now that produces early these sort of cherry flavored figs. Whatever it is, it's very unique! Mr Strudel is supposed to send me one if all goes well.

• m5allen
                        m5allen commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Frank, are you back on here posting now? I remember from one of your last posts, that you were kind of giving up on growing figs in Florida?

Sounds good that JF&E desires to sell Colonel Littman's Black Cross.

As a request could either Colonel Littman's Black Cross or CLBC be used as a standard naming rather than adding another new name like CL?
                      Johnson1
                      Zone 9b
                      S of Tampa Bay, FL

Comment

JF&E just recently added an expected available date to the fruit trees that are out of stock. I was actually going to make a post that there appears to be bad news for people hoping to acquire a CLBC tree from JF&E this year, as they have listed the available date for this fig as November 2020. No other fig in their list has a date past Oct 2019, so there clearly was a problem with this particular variety. I'm not really all that comfortable with them wanting to relabel what is now an unknown as CLBC based on a comparison to the plant Frank was able to give them. Absent concrete genetic testing, once an unknown, there will always be doubts going forward, and buyers will always be at risk. Hopefully they leave the larger, unknown tree for their own use and use the known specimen that they were provided to create their stock going forward.
                        Last edited by DrDraconian; 05-05-2019, 11:29 PM.
                        Richard - San Diego 10a

Comment

• Figtron
                          Figtron commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the info and the update.
                          Too bad JF&E doesn't ship to California. Any other reasonable sources for a potted plant CA resident?

What a back story! I finally got my hands on one today and wanted to check out the source, which led me to this post. I wonder, as well, if JFE is planning to sell the unknown as CLBC and if we could find out about it. It would be kinda shady if they did. I have a BM from JFE. I sure hope it's the real thing.

Comment

I believe they are growing out a known CLBC to compare with the unk they have that they believe to be CLBC and once verified as such will then likely propagate from both at least that makes sense to me from what info I have read
                          JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

It seems that jamake the new owner of JF&E is doing his due diligence to make sure his stock is labeled correctly gotta give the man props for that.
                            JLB zone 8b south Mississippi. Wish list really good figs thay don't split with all this dang humidity

Comment

Working...
                            X