X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zumwalt cuttings for postage

I have 6 or 7 bags with 5 cuttings each of the variety Zumwalt , a San Pedro type thought to perhaps be a sport of Desert King.
    There is some info at the figs4fun forum if you do a search there.
    My young tree was poised for a great up coming season until it was attacked in storage by a mouse and a vole and completely girdled.
    So I now have a stump in a pot and more cuttings than I need.
    Send me a message if you'd like to try some cuttings , I'm asking for $6. ,using paypal ,for the cost of shipping in a flat rate bubble mailer.
    Kerry - NH zone 5
    Wish list - Del Sen Jaume Gran , Angelito ,Thermalito , Exquisito , Campaniere, Teramo , White Madeira #1 .

Hi Kerry,

Sorry to hear about your Zumwalt. Do you think the tree/roots will sprout this year?

Did you catch/kill the little vermin who did this?
    Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

I'm fairly certain it will come back from the base , but they took the bark off right at ground level.
      Should be some hidden buds just below the surface.
      I put out 14 mouse traps baited with peanut butter and all I caught was one mouse and one vole , no new damage that I can find after that.
      I've used the same storage space for figs for the last 5 Winters with no hint of mouse activity so they caught me with my guard down.
      I was lucky they only badly damaged a few mostly younger trees : Zumwalt , my back up Macool , back up Florea , my new Scott's Yellow.
      Could have been much worse , so I'm counting my blessings.
      Kerry - NH zone 5
      Wish list - Del Sen Jaume Gran , Angelito ,Thermalito , Exquisito , Campaniere, Teramo , White Madeira #1 .

Comment

All cuttings spoken for at this point.
        Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

Kerry,

How do you store your trees? Are they in an unheated location? If so, how low does the temperature get?

This past winter is my first with my unheated GH and it dipped into the high teens a few times. I'm hoping that will not be detrimental to my figs. Time will tell though.

I did wrap some of them like the article you sent me from the farm in RI.
          Kevin (Eastern MA - Zone 5b/6a)

Comment

My potted trees are in the basement of my barn. Three sides are bermed with soil 3/4's of the way and the 4th side I throw snow against to provide some insulation.
            When it is minus 20 F outside it gets down to about 23 F at the coldest. For the coldest part of our Winter it is usually 25 to 28 for the most part , but a lot of the Winter it is just above 32.
            Kerry - NH zone 5

Comment

Thanks for the cuttings. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the log you included ;-}
              Fig & Blackberry Farmer in Sunol, CA.

Comment

The cuttings came today - they look awesome! Thanks, Kerry!

Comment

Cuttings arrived today. Nice cuttings, thanks Kerry. Already have them in coco coir/perlite mix as it is getting late.
                  Dave- Waterford, Ct. Zone 6a

Comment

Working...
                  X