X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Yellow YLN 2021

Imagine a yellow cantaloupe perfectly ripe, very sweet and juicy, that’s LY . No acidity, it’s a honey fig. One of the earliest for me.
    Attached Files
    USDA z 10a, SoCal. WL: Boysenberry Blush

I just had my first Golden Rainbow today. Huge and sweet.
    Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• nickawwad
      nickawwad commented
      Editing a comment
      keeper? how does it compare to other renowned figs like corynth and or other known honey figs

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      It produces large, super sweet figs and the cold weather ripened ones late in the season are quite good when fully ripened. Is it in my top 20? No. I keep it because it is a favorite of many of my friends that prefer sweet figs and because it is in the ground.

• nickawwad
      nickawwad commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks. i still have your 2 GRs. still haven't planted them in ground yet, but will give them a chance

never ate one, can't wait for mine to ripen

Comment

My largest Golden rainbow so far....63 grams....not the largest I've seen posted, but this is the largest fig I've ripened so far. It was mediocre in flavor.
      Attached Files
      Pm me for the list of trees available for sale.
      Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• Fig Gazer
        Fig Gazer commented
        Editing a comment
        Not ripe enough !

• greenfig
        greenfig commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree, it needs to be more ripe

• nickawwad
        nickawwad commented
        Editing a comment
        for me personally, for what its worth, in my experience, i've gotten mediocre figs in 7 years of growing YLN and GR

Looking great! My tree is loaded this year, but still at least some weeks away.
      // Los Angeles (10b) //
      // Wish List - A real yard with space to grow //

Comment

Fig Gazer that photo was taken a few day prior to picking it. It was picked totally ripe. I took photos with 3 other varieties all picked the same day, but did not post those photos here.
        Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

Sorry went by your picture ,golden rainbow tastes like bland melon to me till very very ripe .
          Zone 10a So. Calif. W.L. Super tasty new finds !

Comment

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, that is a right way to describe. One needs to wait until the fig starts cracking for the best flavor. You can tell if it's ripe by the latex color, if it's bright white, you cut it too early.

greenfig yep....there was no latex coming out of the fig when picked. I wait until they are completely soft up at the stem end. I don't ever get any cracking on figs here. they tend to deflate when totally ripe. It is not a pretty look. They also seem to decrease in size, and I'm sure weight when fully ripe. Different temps do different things. It was the most pretty the day I took the photo on the tree...notice it was not picked yet. On the other hand, figs that have a nice dry on the tree capability taste pretty good here....they can dry in a matter of a day or two so you have to notice them quickly when at that perfect ripeness or else you will get dried fig....or spoiled fig.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            I see. I noticed that some varieties ripen badly for me too, it must be a location issue.

greenfig for sure some varieties can take the heat better than others. I was looking forward to some nice Large White Greek, which came from you....several figlets are forming on my two trees....but they didn't like the heat and many don't look like they will be edible...or maybe some that ripen late will turn out better. I think I ate one, which was barely edible. I'm sure when I have the watering system and can offer them small amounts of water multiple times a day, that will help. I am hearing from others in hot climates that round the clock access to small amounts of water is working for them. You just have to be careful that the soil is not saturated too much....a little water, often is what works. With over 200 trees that would take me all day with the hose in hand. So I guess I'll get very limited edible figs at the moment...the shade canopy is nearly finished and then I will start of the watering system...and then we will see how things go... I'm inspired by people in hot climates showing it can be done...and the "goldie locks" amount of water seems to be the key. I found out the hard way that soaking the pots can create soil borne pathogens in this heat. Last year I lost a half a dozen very fine varieties..and it happens fast. .this year already two down....hopefully no more.
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            I see my city has an active subsidized program to convert the sprinkler system to a drip. Check yours too. Even if you don’t apply, they have the parts list to build your own . Just a thought.

• figs and tropicals
            figs and tropicals commented
            Editing a comment
            greenfig oh....sprinkler system would apply to a lawn? I don't have any lawn. So they do what...credit your water bill to offset the cost of drip heads?? My city hasn't issued any water cut backs. In fact, I have amazingly cheap water. My water and garbage bill is like $61 a month...half of that is for the garbage pick up. They don't seem too concerned about the water issue. But then, here in Phx we realize we are in the desert and many people are water aware. I'm sure Californians are water aware now too. I'll look into that...parts list is not helpful...I already know what I need...1/2" tubing, 1/4" tubing and a whole bunch of emitters! nothing fancy...I have one of those two station orbit battery operated timers. I used it for a couple years in my previous location and it worked very well. I was skeptical how long the batteries would last....answer...more than two years. amazing. It's been on the shelf for a few years...hope it still works well.

greenfig we had rain and then a few days of "almost rain" and the humidity is up. The figs are coming out better during these conditions...and I have my first fig with a crack...yeah!! It actually ripened without deflating...this is an Igo Blackberry...a Sacred Origin variety. This is the first year the tree is producing, so the figs were quite sweet but not that flavorful.... a product of first year production and rough growing temps.
          Attached Files
          Phoenix, AZ zone 9B

Comment

• greenfig
            greenfig commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice tiny beauties
        Working...
        X