X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ischia Black UC Davis

Excellent flavor and very productive fig!
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 4 photos.

My grafted ischia black UCD does nothing but grow. No fruit set even though it is summer. It out about 3-4 feet grow. The fig looks delicious. Thank you for sharing
    David
    Los Angeles CA zone 10B
    Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

• Fig-Doctor
      Fig-Doctor commented
      Editing a comment
      How big pot do you use? In my experience, planted in a smaller pot sets fruit early but planted in a bigger pot grow faster.

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      Is yours grafted? The IB (UCD) is well known for being a slow grower due to fmv when it is growing on its own roots. This can be overcome with careful fertilization though. In my case, it was grafted to a Peter's Honey rootstock. It grows very well and has put on a large crop as well.

I feed Organic Plant food February-June heavy and I think that helps a lot. I tried chemical fertilizers several years ago and was not happy about the results.

Comment

• Herefiggyfiggy
      Herefiggyfiggy commented
      Editing a comment
      Any particular type of Organic plant food?

• Fig-Doctor
      Fig-Doctor commented
      Editing a comment
      I buy a lot in December from Walmart clearance. I mean a lot! I think all works fine. I use normally Epsoma plant food.

Yeah, this variety is undeniable. It should be as ubiquitous as VdB.
    Last edited by ZomVee; 07-15-2021, 11:15 PM.
    Tom V
    San DiegoCa
    Wishlist: Them esoteric figs

Comment

• Rewton
      Rewton commented
      Editing a comment
      I avoided it for many years because of its (well earned) reputation for fmv. Then I learned to graft. The first year I grafted one it was growing great but then broke off in the wind. I tried again the next year and finally have a solidly grafted tree now. This season I should finally find out what the flavor is like.

• ZomVee
      ZomVee commented
      Editing a comment
      Rewton Nice! Good luck with it.

I been thinking about trying IB UCD. Is it difficult to root?
    Tim-Zone 8a/Northport, Alabama
    WL- Calderona, Black Tuscan, Genovese Nero AF or
    any good dark figs.

Comment

• oat
      oat commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s hard to root and hard to get a strong growth out of it. It’s easy to graft though.

Very nice! I almost got rid of mine because of its reputation for fmv, but it’s actually grown and produced really well for me. Last season I ran out of time, but this season I got a better headstart in the greenhouse so I’m expecting a lot of great figs from this variety.
    FigLife: www.figlife.com
    www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
    [email protected]

Comment

Working...
    X