X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late to plant in ground?

I want to give my father in law one of my extra trees from this year, but I’m not sure if now is a good time to be planting in ground. Right now they’re in one gallon pots and doing great. However, given that I’m in zone 7b, I may only have a good 6-8 weeks left of the growing season. What do you guys think? Should we leave them in pots until next spring, or throw it in the ground and see what happens?
    Long Island, NY - Zone 7b

I vote go for it
    Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
    wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

Originally posted by mflavoni View Post
      I want to give my father in law one of my extra trees from this year, but I’m not sure if now is a good time to be planting in ground. Right now they’re in one gallon pots and doing great. However, given that I’m in zone 7b, I may only have a good 6-8 weeks left of the growing season. What do you guys think? Should we leave them in pots until next spring, or throw it in the ground and see what happens?
      It is not late at all. I planted some plants in one-gallon pots last July. All made through winter.

For better survival, young trees need better winter protection. In your zone 7b, trees will continue to grow roots into November. You get a lot of time in front of you....
      Princeton, New Jersey, 6B
      flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/red-sun/albums
      http://growingfruit.org/ for all fruits

Comment

Go for it! If they are 4x9 size I’d bury the roots at least 4 inches underground (bury a part of the existing stem). I consider it extra winter protection and I’ve had good luck over wintering first year trees I planted that way.
        Villanova, PA. Zone 7a. Wish List: Boysenberry Blush, Cipolla, RDS

Comment

Last year I planted last figs into the ground in the end of August (zone 5, we usually get first frosts by September 23), all figs survived this winter (record lows were -30ºC (-22ºF),
          Estonia, Zone 5 Wish List 2023 Improved Celeste-Florea-Red Lebanese Bekaa Valley-Teramo-Long Yellow-Iranian Candy-De Tres Esplets-Malta Black-Salem Dark-Olympian-Smith-Green Michurinska + Any tasty super early fig

Comment

If you go for it, do it soon and come up with a good protection plan for the winter. As others have posted it's possible to do and have the tree survive.

If I were in your shoes, I'd personally take the safe approach and up pot it right now to at least a three gallon container, or even five, to get some more growth and a larger root mass before dormancy. Then store it for the winter and plant it in ground early next spring.
            “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
            – Source Unknown
            MA 5b/6a

Comment

With protection, it should be fine.

Comment

Like ginamcd , I would take the conservative approach. That said, I have planted 3" Hardy Chicago trees in July (3 yrs ago) and then left them to fend for themselves. They all survived, but would usually die back to the ground.
                Zone 6a/b - west of Boston
                Waiting for climate change to bump me to Zone 8

Comment

Definitely not too late - I planted a first-year in-ground late September last year, just about the same time it was going dormant.

It was very well protected for the winter - which I would recommend in any case.
                  New Hampshire: z5b/6a. WL: More sun and more space!

Comment

It’s actually a good time to plant in ground, the soil is warm and will promote fast healthy root growth, but they need to be kept well watered.
                    The roots can be planted deeper if the soil drains well and there’s no shallow ground water. I’ve planted one gallon Fig trees two feet deep in zone 6 NYC.
                    The root ball should be scored to cut any circling roots, I use a razor utility knife, make a shallow cut ~ 1/2" deep down one side, across the bottom and up the opposite side.

Planting one gallon potted fig in two foot deep hole, late August, NYC zone 6.
                    Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

I concur with everyone else who said go for it! lol
                      Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Do it man
                        Ike
                        bergen county NJ 6b
                        Wish list: oh lets face it Ill take any variety I dont have!!

Comment

You’re way further North than me but I’m still on the line of 7/8…..and about to put ~15-20 in the ground.
                          CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

I'm close to you and have put trees in the ground as late as August. Haven't lost any yet, so I'd say go for it. Just make sure you protect them well this winter and they should be fine. We have much more than 8 weeks of growing season left--it's usually still quite hot in September. First frost typically occurs early-mid November around us.
                            NYC Zone 7b & Central NJ 7a

Comment

Working...
                            X