X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird stem wounds

Recently I've been seeing some apparent stem wounds on my figs. On the green unlignified stems. With some kind of white crust in the area that can be rubbed off. Take a look at the photos of two different plants for what I mean. The bottom one happened when the stem was unlignified/green a few weeks ago. When I saw it again today on a second plant (top photo) I had to take a photo of both and post here.
    ​​​​​​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20210715_183044_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	188.9 KB ID:	1013300 Click image for larger version  Name:	20210715_183202_copy_873x1164.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.5 KB ID:	1013301
    GA, 7b

I’ve seen this on my plants last year and once or twice this year. I pruned off the damaged section a split it in half to check for borers but never found anything 🤷🏻‍♂️I too am curious as to the cause.

Comment

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I'd love to check too but would hate to set back that first year trunk I'm trying to establish.

• mwhight34
      mwhight34 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s Understandable. My affected trees had a ton of growth at the time and needed to be pruned back anyways.

Perhaps related to earlier [thread] and [thread].
    [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! It's hard to keep up with all the posts

It look's like something is nibbling on your tree. Small rodent or bug maybe ?
    Toronto, Canada USDA Zone 5. Wish List: Azores Dark, Malta Black, Sucrette, LSU Hollier and Violet Sepor. I'm always interested in trading cuttings if your in the Southern Ontario area. Thank You!

Comment

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Has to be a bug. I don't have rodents. The neighborhood cats have them extinct. As long as it's not a borer, I'll be fine.

Looks like an insect pierced new growth stems and latex leaked & dried. I observed this on a few of my trees last year and thought it may have been the spotted lantern fly which we have had the past 3 years. Have not seen many nymphs this year so far and no adults. Also haven't seen stem piercings yet. Not sure if you have the spotted lantern fly there in GA but other insects can do this too. Stink bugs and squash bugs also pierce plant stems not yet lignified.
    Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

Leaf hoppers?

Comment

Cicadas? They cut into trees like that to lay their eggs.
        FigLife: www.figlife.com
        www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
        X