X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air layering

hello everybody,
    im new to the forum, just wandering if is a good time to do air layering now in the middle of July ?
    thanks
    Hamilton ON. Zone 6a/b

Sure is....long as you have 6 to 8 weeks of growing season, sometimes you can get them to root in 4....but just for good measure 6 to 8.

What zone are you in?
    Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Yes 👍🏼
      CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

I just finished my layers yesterday. Of course. It’s a good time to start air layers.
        Livingston NJ, zone 6b.

Comment

im in Hamilton On.
          Zone 6a/b, thanks again,
          Hamilton ON. Zone 6a/b

Comment

good time for air layer. lightly scrape and remove some of the cambium. wrap it in a moist soil. please make sure that it is protect sun as it will dried out your soil. good luck
            David
            Los Angeles CA zone 10B
            Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

Set those air layer quickly so it gives the air layer time to recuperate once separated.
              Tony, Toronto Canada USDA 4B now 5B apparently!!
              Wishlist:
              Yellow Neches, St Martain, Texas Peach.

Comment

Set the air layers but don't be afraid to go big. I went small with my containers and had to up pot the air layer as I wasn't comfortable with the amount of top growth (and figs) that the roots had to support.

Original container, set around June 1:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210702_163222.jpg Views:	0 Size:	640.6 KB ID:	1013614

Root mass:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20210702_164814.jpg Views:	0 Size:	656.3 KB ID:	1013615

"Up potted" July 2:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	20210702_163217.jpg Views:	0 Size:	612.6 KB ID:	1013616

1 week later roots already filling up pot July 9:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210712_160713.jpg Views:	0 Size:	455.9 KB ID:	1013617
                Last edited by KDAD; 07-16-2021, 02:19 PM.
                NNJ 6B
                Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

• cjccmc
                  cjccmc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Smart move!

• KDAD
                  KDAD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did it successfully last year with the smaller water bottles on even bigger branches but they were of a variety that I had multiple copies of and were not bearing fruit. This one I want both the copy and the fruit so I am letting the roots go even more.

@kdad,that is a nice air layer. what variety is that? i loved it instant tree for next year
                David
                Los Angeles CA zone 10B
                Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

• KDAD
                  KDAD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sal's EL. First year for me and with the amount of figs above the air layer I am torn between removing it and rooting it out risking losing the fruit or holding off until I can try the fruit and then cut it but much later in the season. I have a similar on an Adriatic set and up potted on the same days and just set a Hardy Chicago last week.

(Actually, the first two pictures are probably the Adriatic but the container and root masses were the same)

Click image for larger version

Name:	BA6A4D24-BA08-4511-B35D-ED603913FD1B.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1013734It’s a fine time here in New England. Just took this nice one off, going to set two more this weekend. I’ve gotten away with setting in early August and still had time to get them to critical mass for overwintering as long as the weather holds.
                Mike, MA Zone 6a
                wishlist: Angelito!
                A good tree clearing service for central Massachusetts...

Comment

I set this one exactly 31 days ago on 6/19. TC Green Ischia I received as a wee thing last year. Rooting gel on the stem, no girdling or even scraping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DC1242CE-4F14-4BED-A547-6FD8FAB7F337.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	413.7 KB ID:	1016202 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_125334.jpg Views:	9 Size:	408.2 KB ID:	1016203
                  Last edited by TNJed; 07-20-2021, 09:08 PM.
                  CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

Working...
                  X