X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUGE fig "bush"

This fig bush is on the property of Ft Polaski in GA. There is a sign that tells visitors they are allowed to pick ripened fruit. My DIL took the picture today while they are visiting. Not sure why she took it crooked. She doesnt know the variety.

Has anyone visited and seen this fig tree before? Just curious as to its variety. Is it weird that I want to go just to see the tree 😁?
    Attached Files

Wow! That is quite some fig tree/bush! I don’t think it’s weird at all. Others might, but I think it’s pretty cool. Do you think she will be able to bring you any ripe ones home?
    Last edited by RandyK; 07-16-2021, 05:49 PM. Reason: I’m a horrible typist, especially on these ity-bity phones 😳
    Randy
    Northeastern TN. Zone 6b/7a. WL: Rigato de Salento, Thermalito, BNR

Comment

• CaliGirlInKY
      CaliGirlInKY commented
      Editing a comment
      She said there werent any ripe figs. GA weather is similar to mine (they are a little warmer and not as cold in the winter). I assume the figs are still dormant and have another 2-4 weeks before the first ripen.

• RandyK
      RandyK commented
      Editing a comment
      Bummer! I still think it is very cool. What a monster tree!

Wow
    CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

Yes, I was there in early Fall a couple years ago. I did find a couple late figs that were still edible. It memory serves, it is a Celeste.
      Steve
      D-i-c-k-e-r-s-o-n, MD; zone 7a
      WL: Castillon

Comment

• Rewton
        Rewton commented
        Editing a comment
        No doubt it would be easy to pick gallons upon gallons when it is at its peak of ripening.

• CaliGirlInKY
        CaliGirlInKY commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats awesome that you found a few still hanging around 😁. Did they taste good? My first experience with figs (and the basis for my minor obsession) is my Mema's fig tree in San Antonio when I was 4. I would eat them off the tree (mom would rinse them first). It was also more of a bush and really big (at least for a 4yr old).

• CaliGirlInKY
        CaliGirlInKY commented
        Editing a comment
        A gallon of figs is quite a haul!

I found some images of it on the google maps site of Fort Pulaski. I might have to check this one out too.
      Brian
      Augusta, GA

Comment

Working...
      X