X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ant Miracle Cure.

I live in a desert. I don't fight squirrels, mice, raccoons, deer or really even birds (maybe an occasional Road Runner) for my figs. But I was having a real war with ants this year until I found the miracle (and cheap) ant cure. I tried coffee grounds sprinkles around the base. It worked by repelling the ants but I water 3 times a day and every time I water the grounds wash away. I tried Diatomaceous Earth. It worked by killing any ant that walked through the ring of powder. But again is washes away with each watering.

I found the Miracle Cure on YouTube. 1 part Borax (available in the laundry soap isle), 4 parts sugar, and 4 parts water to make a syrup consistent mix. Put the Miracle Mix in a small plastic lid (or on a rock or on other none porous surface) along the ant trail. The ants go for the sugar but the borax acts as a time bomb and will kill the ant in a few hours. The ants take the sugar solution back to their nest and share the borax bomb with their queen and all her young. The whole colony will disappear in one day. I have almost zero ants on my figs now. Hope this helps someone fight the same problem.
    Ed- Southern Utah 8b - Wish List: Anything that is very tasty, that is common and I don't have.

I've done this, too -- except without water, so it's just a dry powder bait. It works. The ants veer from the figs toward the bait, and then they disappear.
    Sebastopol, California. Zone 9a
    The best time to plant a fig tree was 80 years ago. The second best time was 50 years ago. Oh well.

Comment

I bought a bag of powdered boric acid but have not attempted to use any yet.
      [Figs] -- Eastern Missouri -- Zone 6

Comment

Years ago used boric acid, sugar & water to eliminate a satellite carpenter ant colony in the attic. Worked great👍. Too much of a boric acid ratio will kill them before they take it back & share with the colony.
        Chris - Zone 6b

Comment

This recipe works and is essentially what the Terro ant baits are made of. I always lay down a few of those too because they have something in them to keep the liquid from drying out too fast.
          Zone 10b, Long Beach CA
          Creator of The Original Wasp In Fly Out (WIFO) Bags
          Wish list: Bebera Branca

Comment

• cjccmc
            cjccmc commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree about the Terro liquid not evaporating easily like water does. Maybe they use a vegetable oil instead of water.

The borax solution works great just don't add to much like Cguitar mentioned as it will kill the ants before they can get back to the nest and DO NOT do what I did thinking that more must be better so sprinkled it around my in-ground tree and a large potted tree that I had not realizing that it is a trace element and too much will affect the trees. They did recover but I suspect it was the cause of die off of a family heirloom Lyndhurst White cuttings that I had just potted.
          NNJ 6B
          Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

I use the Terro baits as well. You can probably get them a little cheaper if you find them locally. You could put one in each pot or just move them around your trees wherever the ants show up.

TERRO T1812SR Outdoor Liquid Ant Bait Stakes-2 Pack, Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q552MHN...ing=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TERRO-1-oz-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
            Don - OH Zone 6a Wish list: Verdolino, Black Celeste

Comment

If you live in So Calif where the Argentine ants live as though they are one massive super colony poison baits will not eliminate them. I have used boric acid baits for years and while it probably does kill some there is just a constant ingress from neighboring properties.
              But I still put some out and use Tanglefoot on trunks because I believe it reduces the number of ants I get on my irresistible sweet figs.
              Conrad, SoCal zone 10
              Wish List: More Land

Comment

I've used both the do it yourself recipe and the Terro for a few years and the Terro traps with the liquid in them seem to work the best. I also used some that had this sort of waxy looking stuff in them... they were gray in color with a point on them so you can jab them in the ground kind of. They worked but the liquid ones seem to attract way MORE ants than anything else. There's a liquid refill for the traps but they get really gross.
                South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

I really think they put something a little "extra" in the Terro liquid because it seems to work better for me than the homemade one.
                  South Jersey, zone 7a- 20 mins from Philly, 30 mins from AC

Comment

Another vote for Boron with sugar/honey water, I don't mind Argentine ants at outside, However, It got inside my house, If I put sugar donuts on table, Ants appeared in 5 min, I mixed some sugar water with little bit of Boron, Dirt cheap, in 5 min, Ants showed up and enjoying it and Next day, I won't see Ants anymore.
                    Surrey BC canada

Comment

Working...
                    X