X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario #50 Cassa De

I gotta say I am super excited for this variety, I thought it was a part of the BM family but was corrected that it was not. Either way the best I’ve had is a Chicago Hardy so this will no doubt be great! Not expecting top quality fruit yet as it’s a fairly small tree, and we’ve had nonstop rain the past month or so.

This is where I got the BM family info, now that I know #50 isn’t I won’t be repeating it. Thank you for enlightening me!

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...asa-di-lazarro
    Last edited by Figgymonster; 07-22-2021, 09:20 PM.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

It looks pretty far along. What is your location?
      FigLife: www.figlife.com
      www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
      [email protected]

Comment

• Figgymonster
        Figgymonster commented
        Editing a comment
        I can’t take any credit for this fruit production. Eric sent it fully furnished with 5 small fruits, it’s been in the tent for a month and now outside for about 3.5 months. Thanks Figtator!

• Figgymonster
        Figgymonster commented
        Editing a comment
        It also stalled out for about 1.5 months before it resprouted new leaves, if you were wondering about the timetable.

Nice!!!! So glad they held on. Definitely let that fully ripen and post pics. :-)
      Eric - Santa Barbara, CA Zone 10a

Comment

• Figgymonster
        Figgymonster commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup! Couple of leafs fell off, but the fruit held on for dear life! Will update once it’s ripe.

I love your excitement and hope it grows well for you, but my question is, when did Mario #50- CdL become part of the BM family?

Comment

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        It may not be but Mario told me that it was similar but earlier. It’s also from his ancestral home I believe so it definitely seems to predate Black Madeira. I should get 50+ ripe figs from my tree this year and I’ll compare them side by side. It seems a good bit earlier for me and the leaves and even the shape of the figs are different. It’s definitely too early to lump it in with BM types.

• Figgymonster
        Figgymonster commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I may have read it a while ago in a post, don’t remember the actual title right now. Sorry if I mislead anyone, didn’t mean to. Either way I’ll be excited to see how this turns out.

I was gifted a 5 year old #50 from Mario a few years back. I am very familiar with this variety. Last year I had the pleasure of ripening 62 figs on this tree. Extremely high quality fig but considering the mere origin alone, it would be difficult to put it in the BM family. Its an Italian fig. I personally have never heard Mario say that the #50 is in the Black Madiera family. Being similar to versus being in the family of, are two completely different things.
      Last edited by Big Ricky 404; 07-18-2021, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Evdurtschi
        Evdurtschi commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s wonderful news! I’m really glad to hear your report on this variety!! It’s exciting to know more about this wonderful heirloom Italian variety.

Thank you for helping clear this up. All I have is my message from Mario where he said it was similar but earlier and that it could be the same. Glad to hear that it’s something unique! I can’t wait to try the main. Should be ripening in a few weeks.

I also belive there are similarities and Mario has certainly taste tested many more figs then I have.
      I think you will throughly enjoy this fig and it will be one that will have a permanent place in your collection. Its one of my favorites!

Comment

Kind of amazed how much this variety has gotten around before I got one....that died.

Comment

• Figgymonster
          Figgymonster commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s a bummer!

I don’t know that it’ll prove earlier for me long term, but it’ll definitely be earlier than my other ones in the pseudo​​​​​​-BM category for me this year.
        Z8+ Oregon, willamette valley. WL: More land, cool citrus
        Ok fine, I made a channel but it’s not all figs: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC2vAVzLns27I5JUiwpiPMUw

Comment

Originally posted by Big Ricky 404 View Post
          I was gifted a 5 year old #50 from Mario a few years back. I am very familiar with this variety. Last year I had the pleasure of ripening 62 figs on this tree. Extremely high quality fig but considering the mere origin alone, it would be difficult to put it in the BM family. Its an Italian fig. I personally have never heard Mario say that the #50 is in the Black Madiera family. Being similar to versus being in the family of, are two completely different things.
          I've been growing this variety for over 6 years and this will be my 5th year fruiting it. This is not a black Madeira type as Rick stated, it originates from Italy and not Portugal. I have reviewed this many years ago and it's more similar to Italian 258 and genovese Nero than black Madeira, which makes sense due to its origins. I still would not say they are one and the same as i258.

We need to dispell these rumors that's a black Madeira type or similar.
          May the Figs be with you!
          ​​​​​

Comment

Unfortunately this fruit split before it could get ripe. My mother said it was still really sweet and taste of honey and berry taste. The rest of the pictures is a perfectly ripen one I just picked today. Stronger berry taste and super sweet. It was quite awesome!

Comment

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X