X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fig Wasp in Italy

Hi All, i did a search and didn't come up with anything. Was wondering if there is a online fig wasp locator internationally? Specifically i was wondering if the fig wasp is in italy? Thanks
    Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
    Wish List:Boysenberry Blush, De La Roca. Vincenzo, The One, Calderona de miner, Verdolino, Blanche De Deu’s Saisons

Yes, the fig is naturalized in Italy. During a trip to Italy in the Summer of 2019 (best trip ever) I saw them growing wild from Naples up through Venice and in-between. They are almost certainly further south, but Naples was a far south as we made it. I also saw them growing wild in Nice, France.
    Jason. San Diego, CA - Zone 10A WL: Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Awesome, my trip next year (hopefully) to Italy will be even better!
      Zone 7a Westchester County, NY
      Wish List:Boysenberry Blush, De La Roca. Vincenzo, The One, Calderona de miner, Verdolino, Blanche De Deu’s Saisons

Comment

Have fun on your trip! We went from early to mid-July. The only figs I could find at the various farmer's markets were the green Italian honey figs. They were just ok (ok I was disappointed.) The seller mentioned that early in the year, the green figs were in season and it wasn't until later that the dark figs started to ripen. They had no idea of any variety names, they just called them green and dark. It could have been a language problem as well.
        Jason. San Diego, CA - Zone 10A WL: Boysenberry Blush

Comment

Unless they've connected with an on-line fig community, that's what Italians grow -- green/white figs, and dark/black figs.

Down south, at least, each family/village has their own trees and while some may have attached names to them, most just refer to them as il nero or il bianco/verde. They are not looking to trade or make money selling trees/cuttings, so they have no reason to name or try to identify them. And we have no easy way of knowing if any particular fig you find overseas is already in circulation outside the country under an accepted/official name.
          “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
          – Source Unknown
          MA 5b/6a

Comment

The only way you find figs with names is if you go to a nursery ( VIVAIO) and if you do your homework they’re all over the place. You will see fig trees all over , farmers markets are a good place to see different varieties, they even have fig festivals especially down south. If in Rome make sure you visit “ Campo di Fiori “ real nice vegetable market, go in the morning, in Venice “ Mercato di Rialto” near Rialto Bridge, most city’s and towns have at list 1 weekly farmers market some daily. If you go south look up Matera, Alberobello,Putignano a Mare, for sight seeng and for Figs Paolo Belloni at Pumona Gardens and many more.
            GOOD LUCK and have fun
            Wallingford,Ct. zone 6b

Comment

Working...
            X