X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg shells instead of lime /dolomite

Hello all, could I use the eggshell in the potting mix?
    I do put the farm grade oyster shell and dolomite what about eggs? I do put eggshell in the vegetables bed as it is a bit acidic,
    Everyday for breakfast we consume about 8-12 eggs, I lightly toasted in the toaster and throw in the garden,
    Could I save them reducing in powder and mix with the potting soil?
    Thanks in advance Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210718_0948070.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	1014745 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210718_0947539.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	1014746
    Hamilton ON. Zone 6a/b

Eggshell is perfectly viable as a source of calcium and some trace elements. Baking them is a good step to maintain mix sterility. Be sure to grind well to encourage nutrient absorption.

Eggshells/calcium are basic, not acidic.
    Zone: 6A

Comment

Yea they are great to use, though they take some time to break down for the plant to be able to uptake.
      I wouldn't count on them to help your plants in the short term.

Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

thanks guys,
        yes they are basic PH+,
        and yes its for a long term not right away, i want to use as we use limestone, its a long term thing
        Hamilton ON. Zone 6a/b

Comment

I’ve tried half bucket of crushed/grinded egg shells and crushed calcium/magnesium tablets, in my personal experience, i couldn’t see any effectiveness to the plant. When i applied calcitic lime, fig roots were all over the surface in as litte as one week.
          Wish List: BNR
          Growing list: WM#1, Golden Rainbow, LSU Tiger, Hollier, Violet Sepor, White Adriatic, Astoria Green, H.Chicago.

Comment

As mentioned they do take a long time to break down. I sprinkle coarsely crushed eggshells around cuttings to discourage slugs and snails from snacking on the tender new growth.

Comment

I saw a video advocating putting them in a blender with water to create a slurry of fine particles.
              CJ in Memphis 7b/8a….tight eyes, nonsplitters...Pons figs, French figs, Mario figs & tasty Cali seedlings!

Comment

All our egg shells are fed back to the chickens.
                They love it. 🐔
                Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Zone 5/6. WL: Black Ischia UCD, Exquisito, Vern's Brown Turkey, Florea, Iranian Candy, Smith, LSU Hollier&Champagne, Cyperus Honey, Lebnese Baskinta Purple, Col de Dema Blanc, Longue D'aoute

Comment

Working...
                  X