X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do we kill BFF, Experiments

Anybody a scientist, science geek or fig lover and want to run some experiments? It would need to be in an area that is already infested with BFF...

Simple experiment:
    In a controled environment (like an enclosed fish tank etc) grow the pupae in soil and then see what kills them using commonly available products and methods ....it would require a tanks, covers, etc and time... the entire fig community could potentially benefit from the findings.

Experimentation with how to kill BFF's in ground should be done in a area that is already infested in case accidental escapes happen. I am, currently, without infestation in my surrounding area. Anyone in an infested area want to collaborate on this together?
    I would be more then willing to help how and where I can. Just not at my non-infested house...

Thoughts?
    Sam
    AKA Frankenberry/Scubasamdo
    Arroyo Grande / Central Coast of California, 10a/b, AHS 1

This is such a great idea. I haven't seen any BFF in my yard yet but if they ever appear I'll be more than happy to run some tests.
    Wishlist: Boysenberry blush, tia penya, Malibu Greek unk, cosme manyo.

Comment

Your aquarium idea is pretty good.

If I had access to live BFF larvae, here's what I would do. I'd put a 4 or 5 inch layer of native soil in a 10 gallon tank. I'd mix up some Botanigard or Mycotrol according to label directions and apply it to the soil surface per label directions. Then I'd drop in about 10 BFF larvae and let them burrow in. In doing so, they would have to go through the beauvaria bassiana fungal layer. And that, might infect them and kill them. You'd have to sift the dirt to see what happened.

You also need a control tank. That would be the same experiment WITHOUT the Botanigard or Mycotrol.

The beauty of this is it would break the BFF lifecycle at the larval stage without hurting the wasp. And it won't disrupt the soil microbiology.

As a scientist, science geek and fig lover, that's what I would do. But I live in Arizona and buy Texas fig trees, so this experiment is not for me to try.
      Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

• Frankenberry
        Frankenberry commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, this is what I am talking about exactly.
        Tanks with soil (4-8 inches deep) and utilize different agents at concentrations and amounts that would be "real world" / manufacturers recommended amounts. Controls would absolutely be needed.

• DrDraconian
        DrDraconian commented
        Editing a comment
        Be honest, you don't buy Texas trees, you buy fruitnut trees. His greenhouse is currently in the running to be the 53rd state

Frankenberry - It would be a simple experiment to set up as long as you had live BFF larvae. And the concept is not without precedent.

Termiticide's such as Premise or Termidor lay down a chemical barrier. When the termites cross it, they pick up the termiticide, and it eventually kills them. Likewise, you just need the BFF larvae to pick up the beauvaria bassiana, and hopefully it infects them. It might not. But you'll never know until you try.
      Phoenix, Arizona 9B

Comment

Working...
      X