X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming things up at night

After reading the recent posts here regarding if high heat matters in fig development and ripening, I was wondering what we who live where night time temperatures are below 60 (even in the summer!) can do to keep the figs in a warmer environment during the night. Do you cover? Or use lights? I'd really like to hear what you've tried to optimize these cooler temperatures so we can enjoy our figs earlier.

It depends on your day time high and length of your growing season as well. 60 degrees or high 50s for night time low is not that bad for the tree. Big part of California gets about that much for night time low because we have dry air and dry air doesn’t hold heat very well.
    A simple thing you can do is to locate your trees close to a concrete wall or a building. The heat from the structure will radiate out at night to keep your trees warmer.
    San Francisco Zone 10B.
    WL: None

Comment

CeeFigs
      I agree one is the easiest and best is to put them up against a south-facing wall, rock etc, anything that will absorb heat during the day will keep the warmth a bit during the night. Folks also use big tanks of water.

More intensive options are frost covers / low tunnels. I use them in the spring, but figs can out grow them quickly. And there's potential they will get too hot in there summer days without ventilation.

Even more intensive options: greenhouse, high tunnel.

New Hampshire: z5b/6a. WL: More sun and more space!

Comment

Agree with the above. I have a south facing concrete wall in my yard and have compared temperatures against it vs in the middle of the yard. Night temps are 3-5 degrees warmer, even in winter. It even helps extend my season. My last fig tree against the wall didn't drop it's last leaves until mid-December last winter which is nuts considering we had several hard freezes by that point. Others in the ground went dormant about 3 weeks earlier.
        NYC Zone 7b & Central NJ 7a

Comment

oat
          @batty
          @CaricaChris
          Thanks! South facing wall it is! Will be moving them there. I'm also toying with the idea of putting light strands around them, using them when the day time temperatures drop and before they rise again in the morning late this summer and in the fall.

Comment

You know why fruits grown in CA are sweeter? Because big day-night temperature difference forces fruit to produce more sugar.
            Wish List: BNR
            Growing list: WM#1, Golden Rainbow, LSU Tiger, Hollier, Violet Sepor, White Adriatic, Astoria Green, H.Chicago.

Comment

• PacNorWreck
              PacNorWreck commented
              Editing a comment
              Not all CA fruit are sweeter. Grapefruit, for example, are MUCH sweeter coming out of Florida and Texas than out of California. The warm night temperatures keep the trees actively growing and processing water, air, and nutrients right through the night.
          Working...
          X