X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle gro 24XX on fruiting figs

Hi fig friends. Dad has fruiting fig plants and he is using 24-x-x miracle gro from home depot. Any consequences?
    Zone Ca.
    wishlist :cavaliere, white madeira, hative d argenteuil.

Do you mean the MG All Purpose water soluble that's 24-8-16? If so, it's widely recommended for routine feeding. The other that is used , and is the one I use, is Jack's Classic 20-20-20. They both provide sufficient macro nutrients and most micro nutrients.
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Source Unknown
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

Yes Ginamcd. The plant is in a container. So there s no risk the fruits gonna fall? That's my biggest concern. I was worried about the N being 24 and too high.
      Zone Ca.
      wishlist :cavaliere, white madeira, hative d argenteuil.

Comment

There are many reason why figs will drop, but adequate fertilization is not one of them. Follow the recommended schedule of 1 tbsp per gallon applied every two weeks or 1/2 tbsp per gallon every week and they'll do fine.
        “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
        – Source Unknown
        MA 5b/6a

Comment

• JMF75
          JMF75 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gina how are you managing your water soluable feeding schedule with all the rain you folks have been getting up there?

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Applying it in the days between the rainy ones. As it's a water soluble, it doesn't need to hang around for days in the pots, so hopefully the trees are getting enough before the next round of storms washed it out. Hasn't been easy....

The only other things (Nutrients) missing from the M-G AP 24-8-16 are adequate amounts of Calcium, Magnesium and Sulfur. Available in Gypsum and EpsomSalt (or Dolemite Limestone and Epsom Salt for Acidic / Low pH Potting media).
        Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• ieatfigs
          ieatfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I guess I never bothered researching "Epsom Salt".

Can I skip the limestone then if I water with municipal water, since it supposedly contains calcium?

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          ieatfigs ,
          If your water contains 150 - 200 ppm Calcium then Yes, you can skip adding any. Calcium, Magnesium and Sulfur are actually secondary Macro-Nutrients and are required in relatively large amounts, Fig trees need more % Calcium than Phosphorus... https://www.ourfigs.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=773033

• ieatfigs
          ieatfigs commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! Can't wait to see what my trees will look like. They've been missing mag and sulf this whole time. Thank you!

Your tree will be totally fine. There are a lot of opinions out there about how to obtain the most fruit, etc. You know what they say about opinions, right...? Anyway, Google Scholar has good articles on fertilization. Here is one that I would reference if I was trying to maximize fruit production:

Full article: Effect of N-P-K Fertilization on the Yield and Nutrient Status of Fig (Ficus Carica L. Cv. Kalamon) Trees Grown under Mediterranean Conditions (tandfonline.com)

Soil conditions will likely result in some variations from the outcome described in this study, but generally a 20-20-20 or something like that will probably work great. I used the 24-x-x fertilizer you mentioned on my trees just last weekend and I'm confident they will love it.
        FigLife: www.figlife.com
        www.youtube.com/figlifedotcom
        [email protected]

Comment

I typically use MG Tomato since it has a closer to equal balance of NPK.
          East Coast, Zone 7a
          WL: Boysenberry Blush, CdDB, BNR

Comment

Working...
          X