X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risk of rot with all this rain?

Going on 3 weeks of rain now. We probably had 1 sunny day in that time span. Tomorrow again is 100% chance.

Is there any concern with my 3 gallon plants rotting, being saturated for weeks? They were up-potted into those 3 gallons 2 months ago and all have 1 to 2 ft of growth. Should I pull everything into the garage until whenever we see sun again?

Also, is there any concern for rot for my 3 gallons that I up-potted into 14 gallon containers 3 weeks ago. I shouldn't have made such a big jump, but didn't want to buy 5-10 gallon pots, and din't expect there'd be this much rain.
    Last edited by ieatfigs; 07-19-2021, 10:42 PM.
    GA, 7b

I think a lot will depend on how well draining your mix is. If your pots are holding too much water, they can become stagnant and roots will rot.
    “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
    – Source Unknown
    MA 5b/6a

Comment

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      ginamcd sta-green tree and shrub garden soil from Low's, each with about 3 to 5 handfuls of homemade compost. The compost worries me. It was added to reduce the drainage back when we we were having a drought 2 months ago. But it's mostly on the topmost layer.

• ginamcd
      ginamcd commented
      Editing a comment
      It's what is happening down low in the pots you need to be worried more about. Too much water = no air flow which then becomes stagnant. I've had it happen to a couple of trees when using a cheaper, finer coco coir. If your compost is only at the top, it may not be anything to worry about.

• ieatfigs
      ieatfigs commented
      Editing a comment
      Most were rooted in that cheap type of fine peat moss you're talking about. I went ahead and pulled. I'll sleep better tonight. Better safe than sorry. Will trash bag my pots from here on out.

Just keep an eye on them. If you start seeing the leaves turning yellow, move them or cover the soil if you can. The yellowing leaves will drop and defoliate your trees. Rust also tends to get a foothold with all this rain as well. So keep an eye out for that, too. Such is the life of a fig grower in the South...
    Angel #1 at 2 Angels Mushrooms & Figs-Chattanooga, TN Zone 7-B
    You are invited to The Fig Frolic on Sat., Sept. 17th, AND Hang Time (for OurFigs only) INFO HERE

Comment

I see people cover their pots with trash bags. The water just flow off the side. This is just a temporary solution.
      David
      Los Angeles CA zone 10B
      Wish list: Cosme Manyo

Comment

• ieatfigs
        ieatfigs commented
        Editing a comment
        I was planning on doing so, but didn't. I'll do it from here on out, once I get them a little dry first.

• 2AngelsMushrooms
        2AngelsMushrooms commented
        Editing a comment
        I have done that with my smaller pot, but it is difficult with the big ones.

When I saw the title post, i figured you were around my area. Yeah, North Ga here and DANG all the rain. Figs are going to taste like water!
      Rossville,Ga.
      Wishlist Cravens Craven

Comment

I have had all my smaller pots on the covered deck....but the biggest ones I may have to cover the dirt....looks like this will go on for a while longer. Gah!
        Kevin, N. Ga 7b Cheers!

Wishing all of you a bountiful harvest!

Comment

Finally broke down and brought my prized figs in the greenhouse. Not chancing root rot. Prob will bring a lot more in here and there until the ark is built lol.
          Rossville,Ga.
          Wishlist Cravens Craven

Comment

• ieatfigs
            ieatfigs commented
            Editing a comment
            What are you building?

LoL, As in Noah's Ark i figured we are going to get flooded out again. :-)
          Rossville,Ga.
          Wishlist Cravens Craven

Comment

Working...
          X