X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ripe Hative D'Argenteuil fig

This is a second year tree in a four gallon pot. This is my first year experiencing berry type figs. I grew up with Celest type figs. A very intense berry flavor. To me it was like a sweet strawberry. The skin was soft. A very delicious treat! I wish it was a larger fig! This is one of the main reasons I'm growing multiple varieties of figs. I've never grown berry flavor figs before. I'll probably end up air layering the bottom branch. This one got away from me.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	hative_de_argentuiel003 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	297
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	1015884 Click image for larger version

Name:	hative_de_argentuiel001 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	1015885 Click image for larger version

Name:	hative_de_argentuiel002 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	251
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1015886 Click image for larger version

Name:	hative_de_argentuiel005 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	253
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	1015887 Click image for larger version

Name:	hative_de_argentuiel004 (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	259
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	1015888
    Zone 8B Lockhart, Texas - WL- Thermalito, I258, Del San Jaume Gran, White Madeira #1, Noire De Barbentane, Paratjal Rimada, Bordissot Negra Rimada & Robert's Golden Rainbow

Good stuff and I prefer the berry figs. I have an HdA that's in year 3 and has a few figs. It's been a very slow grower for me but hopefully some of the figs will ripen.
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

• artsjustforgrowing
      artsjustforgrowing commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, you'll enjoy the berry flavor!

• BlueEagle1967
      BlueEagle1967 commented
      Editing a comment
      artsjustforgrowing Thanks again and I appreciate the pictures. I was told by the seller that the plant was a slow grower and some folks graft it for better growth. It's a variety that I planned on being patient with. The fact that you fruited the variety in it's second year is pretty incredible. Well done and I'm really looking forward to it now.

I have one ordered. The photo looks great! Makes me excited to get mine
    Travis - Cincinnati OH. Zone 6
    wishlist- ondata, Verdolino, rosselino, https://youtube.com/channel/UCYp6pIa2-WlnommArTGKlpQ

Comment

• artsjustforgrowing
      Editing a comment
      Great! You'll like it. Anyone who likes the berry flavor figs should try this one. Provided it ripens in your growing zone.

Same here. I haven't tasted a berry fig yet. It's hard to imagine, lol.
    GA, 7b

Comment

• artsjustforgrowing
      Editing a comment
      It's worth the wait. You'll enjoy them!

This is a great fig, got my first one as I was putting the trees away for the year last November. Delicious fruit, can’t wait for more.
    Mike, MA Zone 6a
    wishlist: Angelito!
    A good tree clearing service for central Massachusetts...

Comment

• artsjustforgrowing
      Editing a comment
      Cool! I have several more ripening on the tree. We had an inch and a quarter rain yesterday. A rare cold front pushed through our area causing some thunderstorms. It looks like dry weather next couple of days.

looks tasty. is it another Hardy Chicago?
    Richmond, BC, Canada Zone 8A
    WL: List Completed. What do you recommend?

Comment

• Evdurtschi
      Evdurtschi commented
      Editing a comment
      This has some similarities but it is quite unique. It is a superb fig with amazing pineapple flavor notes and a really nice bright flavor. It is one of my favorites.

• artsjustforgrowing
      Editing a comment
      I look forward to next season to see how the flavor profile changes. This is a great berry fig.

• MyDogMike
      MyDogMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve heard the word “tropical” used to describe the flavor. I’ve never tried this one.

Originally posted by Avant_gardener View Post
    This is a great fig, got my first one as I was putting the trees away for the year last November. Delicious fruit, can’t wait for more.
    Sounds like a late ripener in the Northeast. How old is your tree?
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania / Zone 6b

Comment

• jrdewhirst
      jrdewhirst commented
      Editing a comment
      It is relatively late-ripening variety here (1st fig 9/12/20) but I still manage to pick a very decent crop. You should be OK.

• BlueEagle1967
      BlueEagle1967 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to hear Joe. Definitely a variety I'm looking forward to.

• BlueEagle1967
      BlueEagle1967 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Clarktj2 and Avant_gardener I know Bigbill spoke highly of this variety and, if I recall, I sourced it from him. From the looks of my trees, I should get quite a few varieties ripening in the coming weeks and I'm hoping this is one of them.

My HdA is in a one gallon ready for 5 gallon pot and your results are why I'm happy I acquired it. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

• artsjustforgrowing
      Editing a comment
      It'll become one of your favorites. Hope it's fruits well for you.

I grafted HdA onto a brown turkey late summer ‘20. Put it in the ground last Spring. Picked a few figs that I thought were the best of anything I tasted last year, but don’t remember when they ripened. This year, the tree seemed a little late out the gate, but growing well now and is putting on figs on every node as it does. Hopefully, many will ripen and I will get to experience a wonderful fig again.
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Hilliard Lawler, DVM, Indianola, Mississippi Zone 8A
    My website: https//bloomsonthebayou.com
    wish list: Nerucciolo d'Elba

Comment

• artsjustforgrowing
      Editing a comment
      Nice tree! I hope they ripen for you too. This is the best berry fig I've tasted so far.

The kinship with the Etna family and the Brown Turkey family is clearly visible. There is a similarity both in the leaves and in the shape and structure of the fruit.

Comment

Working...
    X