X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MG by MG Thxs!!!πŸ‘

So i ran across one of millennial gardeners vids last year and started adding Miracle Grow into my feeding mix. This year is the best growth ive seen in the 4/5 years ive been figging. Plus brebas like crazy!! More this year than my total since ive started growing figs. I feel like i may cut Miracle grow out of the mix soon since im in zone6 and need branched to lignify. But nice tip for the short season growers to get a lil growth one there trees and help with shaping. This is a few trees that are doing pretty well. Many more are as good or better just took a few of the closer trees.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by shawnjames70; 07-20-2021, 10:14 PM.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    WL: Raspberry Latte, Black Zadar. Spokane, Wa. Z6

Amazing what feeding these trees can do. Anthony is very thorough and he gets results. My results are similar to yours. Nice job
    Joe - Rhode Island Zone 7a

Comment

From what I've seen since joining here, a lot of members have been using Miracle Grow AP for routine feeding for years, and a lot of members have been using Jack's Classic as well. Can't go wrong with either one.
      β€œThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
      – Source Unknown
      MA 5b/6a

Comment

Trees are looking good! I have been using MG AP for a few years also since it is what I have and for some reason keep buying. I do want to switch, and may, but I am getting similar results to yours and MG is easy to work with, so I may just continue along with it. Problem is that the unlignified wood needs staking to help support and straighten it out. One more task to add to my list.
        NNJ 6B
        Wishlist: Colar d'Albatera, Mary Magdalene's and the Virgin Mary's Fig, Red Lebanese BV

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          I've learned over the years that some varieties are just more "floppy" than others. For ones that have branches that want to droop, the easiest way I've found to deal with them is to loosely tie twine around the branch at the point where I want it growing upwards, then attach the other end to the trunk.

looks great, I would agree that might want to cut back on it soon so branches can start to lignify. I follow his approach as well with MG and fish fertilizer and great year of growth. I also do foliar feeding of epsom & dynatec pro TekT....epsom maybe twice per season, the dynatec a little more frequently.
        Brielle, NJ..Zone 7a

Comment

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          Based on recommendations from an old-timer who used to own a local fig nursery and other growers, I do my last regular feeding with the water soluble in mid-August. That's about the time ripening starts kicking in on my early-ish varieties. Since you're in a warmer climate, you may be able to continue regular feedings for a bit longer than me.

• Tom
          Tom commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Gina, can't say i have an exact date and still experimenting a bit. This is a helpful reference date.

Glad to hear you're having success. I would strongly recommend against using MiracleGro All Purpose after the first 2-3 feedings of the year because it's too high in nitrogen, and all that nitrogen is going to promote too much leafy green growth instead of fruiting. This is why I recommend after the first 2-3 feedings, once you get some good green growth, switching to Bloom Booster 15-30-15. It's a process you need to refine for your own unique growing situation over the years, but I recommend making sure you have three different formulas on hand.

I have a whole series dedicated to this that may be worth a watch here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pbh_E57uNBLG2j

The short summary is:

MiracleGro All Purpose 24-8-16 is good to start things off for the first 2-3 feedings to promote heavy leaf growth.
        MiracleGro Bloom Booster 15-30-15 is advisable after that to boost figlet formation and slow down new green growth.
        MiracleGro Tomato 18-18-21 is advisable after you set "enough" figlets to give the tree a balanced feeding to finish the season and lignify its wood.

That's how I do it. Because I now have such a large garden, I have switched to Jack's fertilizers in the 25lb bags to cut costs, so now I use:

The Expert Gardener 24-8-16 knock-off (because it's exactly the same as MG AP and you can get a 5lb box for $5) for the early feedings.
        Jack's 10-30-20 for figlet formation.
        Jack's 20-20-20 for the rest of the year.

I'm now in the 20-20-20 phase for basically my entire garden at this point.
        Zone 8A Southeast NC Coast
        Subscribe via YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMillennialGardener
        Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/NCGardening

Comment

• shawnjames70
          shawnjames70 commented
          Editing a comment
          I add alaska bloom to my routine. Along with pinching tips when i had enough growth figs doing great. May stop MG after next feeding so i can lignify during August.

Just to note that there are many others who disagree with the bloom booster approach, below is the recent thread on the subject. Take a look through it, ask your questions, do your own research, then decide on your approach - https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-h...er-really-work
        β€œThe best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
        – Source Unknown
        MA 5b/6a

Comment

• TheMillennialGardener
          TheMillennialGardener commented
          Editing a comment
          This can be easily disproven by a side-by-side comparison. It blows my mind that anyone can disagree with using a high-P fertilizer for fruiting, and there are so many holes in the anti-bloom-booster approach it's crazy. All you have to do is grow two potted tomatoes and use bloom booster at feeding on one of them. The results are astounding, and it's clear that those against bloom booster aren't actually testing it. You can't grow a fig tree in-ground on top of a limestone pocket in soil types with high natural concentrations of phosphorous and then say, "Using a tablespoon of bloom booster on top of my limestone pocket didn't have an effect on my giant tree!" Yet that's what people are doing.

• ginamcd
          ginamcd commented
          Editing a comment
          As I said in the other thread, I did try switching to bloom booster one year and saw no benefit. I skipped it the
          following year, stuck with 20-20-20, and I had excellent production from 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year trees. While it wasn't a side-by-side, it was enough to convince me buying two different fertilizers is unnecessary.

As I said, folks, especially new comers, should do their own research before making a decision.

I’ve been going by MG’s method and I’ve been having great success as well. Thanks TheMillennialGardener. Now I teach this method to my uncles who just go natural cow manure.
        Zone 5 Barrie, on

Comment

• AscPete
          AscPete commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve been using similar methods as well successfully for decades without the added Bone and Blood meals, not really necessary.

MG-AP 24-8-16 works well as a supplement to any healthy compost or composted manures, it supplies some added N for breakdown (of Organic compounds)and availability of the β€œOrganic” Nutrients, some of the added Nitrogen feeds the soil microbes.

Since I also had excellent success last year, and now this year, using TheMillennialGardener 3 step miracle gro program, I pass on his methods to all I have given a plant too as well. I know that there are so many other successful ways to fertilize, but this works for me and it is very simple to do. I like simple.
        Joe - Zone 6B in Pennsylvania

Comment

I like to use balanced fertilizes mostly...10-10-10 or 20-20-20. Where I may vary with some is I like to use different brands and mix them a lot from feed to feed to try and make sure if one is lacking something another formulation may pick it it. Not scientific especially just been doing that with plants for over 60 years and it seems to get the job done. I have used Orchid bloom booster occasionally with good results, but I think the key for me is variety.
        Last edited by Otis; 07-21-2021, 12:13 PM. Reason: Sp
        Tony; Pickens county, SC zone 7b

Care for the Earth...there's no place like home

Comment

I’m a fan of Water Soluble 24-8-16 with Micronutrients, been using it for over 3 decades. Stumbled on the Miracle-Gro product while practicing Organic Gardening, worked as a nutrient solution for speeding composting, as good or better than peecycling.

Agree with ginamcd , with two caveats;
          1. M-G All Purpose 24-8-16 and similar Water Soluble Fertilizers require additional Calcium, Magnesium and Sulfur if not provided in Irrigation supply or Potting Mix.
          2. The β€œBalanced” NPK water soluble fertilizers 20-20-20 and similar actually provide more (an excess amount) of P, Figs and most plants utilize NPK in the 3-1-2 and similar ratios (4-1-3 and 2-1-4 for Veg and Bloom, respectively) as scientifically proven by plant tissue analysis.

Personally, I use MG-AP for Cuttings and as Supplemental Fertigation for older plants and Trees, it’s always in my Fertilizer inventory.
          Last edited by AscPete; 07-21-2021, 12:52 PM. Reason: corrected typo Calcium instead of Gypsum
          Pete R - Hudson Valley, NY - zone 5b

Comment

• shawnjames70
            shawnjames70 commented
            Editing a comment
            I do bone meal, tri phosphate, and lime in the spring with an osmocote plus or similair fert. I think ot sets me up for the season and allows MG all purpose to do its job without getting all growth.

• AscPete
            AscPete commented
            Editing a comment
            shawnjames70 ,

Yes, Plants require the β€œ Essential Plant Nutrients” Warm Temps, Water and Sunshine for healthiest growth...

It doesn’t matter to them where the nutrients come from, the combinations of organic and or mineral sources, just that they are available when needed for growth.
        Working...
        X